Embedded Handbook Clarification: pkg-config
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlpoole
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Embedded Handbook Clarification: pkg-config Reply with quote

Below is basically a repeat of what I had emailed to toolchain@gentoo.org.

I'm trying to install a cross compiler on my AMD64 for arm (SheevaPlug) and have been following your Gentoo Embedded Handbook at http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/index.xml

I do not fully understand Chapter 5 "Cross-Compiling with Portage", specifically the section 5.e on "Helper: pkg-config".

The instructions state:

Quote:
Many packages are moving to installing pkg-config files (*.pc) and using those to discover needed libraries and includes. To ease the build process, you should install a pkg-config wrapper for your target which will tell pkg-config to only search your cross-compiler paths rather than your host paths.

You should install this into your PATH so that configure scripts will detect it properly. Name it with a CTARGET prefix and the script will do the rest. In other words, if your CTARGET is set to arm-linux-uclibc, the canonical name is arm-linux-uclibc-pkg-config. Older configure scripts would only search for pkg-config, so in those cases you will need to export the PKG_CONFIG variable to the wrapper script.

So, I created a file arm-softfloat-linux-gnueabi-pkg-config and placed same under my directory "/usr/arm-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/etc". The contents of the file were copied form the web page, to wit:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
CTARGET=${0%-pkg-config}
SYSROOT="/usr/${CTARGET}"
export PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR="${SYSROOT}/usr/lib/pkgconfig"
unset PKG_CONFIG_PATH PKG_CONFIG_ALLOW_SYSTEM_CFLAGS PKG_CONFIG_ALLOW_SYSTEM_LIBS
exec pkg-config "$@"

What I am not understanding is the instruction "install this into your PATH". My current PATH is:

Quote:

hermes etc # echo $PATH
/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
hermes etc #

For the time that I would be cross-compiling and/or setting up this tool chain, should I add the directory this file is to my path as in:
hermes etc # export PATH=$PATH:/usr/arm-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/etc ?or hermes etc # export PATH=$PATH:/usr/arm-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/etc/arm-softfloat-linux-gnueabi-pkg-config

What brings me to posting this is that the emerge of sys-apps/coreutils-7.1 failed, and it looks like a directory/location issue; here is the error message:

Quote:
* The specific snippet of code:
* mv ${fhs} ../../bin/ || die "could not move fhs bins";
* The die message:
* could not move fhs bins

The ebuild section the die statement comes from is:

Code:
src_install() {
       emake install DESTDIR="${D}" || die
       dodoc AUTHORS ChangeLog* NEWS README* THANKS TODO

insinto /etc
       newins src/dircolors.hin DIR_COLORS || die

if [[ ${USERLAND} == "GNU" ]] ; then
               cd "${D}"/usr/bin
               dodir /bin
               # move critical binaries into /bin (required by FHS)
               local fhs="cat chgrp chmod chown cp date dd df echo false ln ls
                          mkdir mknod mv pwd rm rmdir stty sync true uname"
               mv ${fhs} ../../bin/ || die "could not move fhs bins"
               # move critical binaries into /bin (common scripts)
               local com="basename chroot cut dir dirname du env expr head mkfifo
                          mktemp readlink seq sleep sort tail touch tr tty vdir wc yes"
               mv ${com} ../../bin/ || die "could not move common bins"
               # create a symlink for uname in /usr/bin/ since autotools require it
               local x
               for x in ${com} uname ; do
                       dosym /bin/${x} /usr/bin/${x} || die
               done
       else
               # For now, drop the man pages, collides with the ones of the system.
               rm -rf "${D}"/usr/share/man
       fi
}

I'm guessing I do not have my environment set correctly and I have not harnessed the functionality of the helping pkg-config script.

Note, the word "PATH", as capitalized, appears for the first time in section 5.e, so I'm guessing it has a special meaning or is referencing the environmental variable "PATH"?

I also made a copy of arm-softfloat-linux-gnueabi-pkg-config under the SYSROOT directory of "/usr/arm-softfloat-linux-gnueabi", that didn't change the die outcome of a sysapps/coreutils-7.1 emerge.
gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What I am not understanding is the instruction "install this into your PATH"

you just have to put the above script in /usr/bin f.ex., not in /usr/${CTARGET}/whatever ; chmod u+x it and you should be done.

cheers
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: