View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TreoTra93
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: localhost password Reply with quote

Hi, I don't know if there's something wrong, or if I just screw up. But I just finished installing Gentoo on an old Toshiba somputer. When I booted it for the first time, the text on the screen was really weird but maybe because I chose 162.co or something in the GLI. So after 20 minutes of trying to decipher what the mystical text was trying to tell me, I could see it said:
Localhost login:
I press enter and:
password:
I tried all the names I think it was, everything I remember writing in the Install process. But none of them work. Is there anyway to be able to see the localhost name or stuff like that or should I just reinstall everything?
Any help is appreciated :)
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"localhost" is the host name of the machine. This probably means you forgot to set the host name, or you made a mistake that prevents your setting from being used.

Type root in response to the login prompt, then enter the password you set for the root user during installation. Then you can start making repairs.
TreoTra93
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I tried it and now it says localhost in red and something like two letters in blue.
What should I type?
Please help :)
defenderBG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, congratulations on your first gentoo install.
You logged in successfully to your system. Now that is left for you is to either install a desktop environment (de) like kde/gnome/xfce/fluxbox or learn how to use the console.

there you go with a few manuals that will be helpful:
1. how to use portage (aka how to install anything in gentoo): http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/?catid=gentoo Read eveything in Portage and Related Documentation. You WILL need it!
2. choosing, installing and setting a de: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/?catid=desktop
TreoTra93
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I am really excited to learn to use linux.
Okay, but, I still can't get into the computer. Or does gentoo start with this command line? Because I loged on as root, but I'm still in the command line and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do from here? But really great with the links, but I think I can just use them once I've got out from the command line thing. I really don't know what to do right now. I really don't know what to do. Please help :)
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably did a LiveCD install, right? If so, then you shortchanged yourself. If you'd done the Handbook install (and you made it through it; it's somewhat torturous for a beginner), you'd know the answers to your questions already. When you finish your Gentoo install (Handbook or LiveCD), you've got a very basic text-based Linux installation: no GUI! The rule for Gentoo is, outside of some very basic system tools, if you don't install it, you don't get it. defenderBG has pointed you in the right general direction. If you want a graphical user interface and a desktop environment, you'll have to install them. Check out the Gentoo Desktop Documentation Resources page.

But, before that, you really need a good basic Linux introductory text to learn a lttle bit more about Linux (in general) and the command line (in particular). Try Introduction to Linux, a Hands on Guide or visit your local bookstore. :wink:

- John
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TreoTra93 wrote:
Okay, but, I still can't get into the computer.
Ah, but you are "in the computer." :wink:
You have logged in as the superuser, so that you may continue to install software and configure the system to meet your needs.
and wrote:
Or does gentoo start with this command line?
Indeed it does. If you expected to see a shiny, mouse-controlled graphical interface with menus, icons and all the rest--a "desktop environment" or "DE"--sorry, not yet. Keep reading....
and wrote:
Because I loged on as root, but I'm still in the command line and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do from here?
Read the documentation provided by defenderBG and follow those instructions. You need to choose and install a desktop environment.

From your comments it sounds like you are new to Linux altogether. If so, be aware that Gentoo is not often considered a good choice for a novice--there is an overwhelming amount of information to absorb when everything is new.

If you find yourself utterly bewildered despite your best effort, consider trying another distro with an easier initial setup, e.g., Ubuntu or Fedora. After you've gained familiarity with core concepts like the shell (command line) and basic system administration, you will find Gentoo installation a lot less intimidating. We've seen many people try Gentoo as their first Linux distro, quit in frustration, return later with more experience and succeed the second time around. It's a common tale. :)

One last thing: you mentioned GLI--did you mean the Gentoo Linux Installer, started from an icon on the LiveCD desktop? That is not the best way to install Gentoo (in fact, it's obsolete and essentially unsupported). You should probably start over, following the instructions in the Gentoo Handbook. Its step-by-step approach builds the basic comprehension you need to work with Gentoo and the available documentation.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! Like he said. :D

- John
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john_r_graham wrote:
Yeah! Like he said. :D
:lol: :lol:
I considered changing my post to essentially the same thing, since yours wasn't there when I began to reply. Doggone interruptions.... :)
TreoTra93
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, yes, I know I was supposed to read everything. No I really want to try to install it now. But, I have an old computer. Very old, and extremely bad. So I just thought I could try. I don't use that computer for anything else so I mean, I could just try to do it.
Yes, I used the LiveCD and Gentoo Linux Installer. I read a couple of times in the handbook (I have started to read it.) that it wasn't really a good choice. But I just wanted to try. I am going to install it on this computer, the computer I actually use, but I'm going to read the entire handbook before.
How do I install the Desktop Envoirment? What else do I need to install?
Or should I just not do anything and just read the handbook? Because if it's not so hard to install the "DE", I would just like to see what there is to do from there, explore you know. Is it worth it? :)

Thank you for the help guys :)
forkbomb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TreoTra93 wrote:
Haha, yes, I know I was supposed to read everything. No I really want to try to install it now. But, I have an old computer. Very old, and extremely bad. So I just thought I could try. I don't use that computer for anything else so I mean, I could just try to do it.
Yes, I used the LiveCD and Gentoo Linux Installer. I read a couple of times in the handbook (I have started to read it.) that it wasn't really a good choice. But I just wanted to try. I am going to install it on this computer, the computer I actually use, but I'm going to read the entire handbook before.
How do I install the Desktop Envoirment? What else do I need to install?
Or should I just not do anything and just read the handbook? Because if it's not so hard to install the "DE", I would just like to see what there is to do from there, explore you know. Is it worth it? :)

Thank you for the help guys :)

You've already been provided with a link discussing desktop environments. DE = Desktop environment. There are several desktop environments available for Linux platforms - GUIs, in a word. Desktop environments are typically a graphical shell along with a window manager and a core set of apps meant to be run in that core GUI environment (though you can typically run apps from one DE in another DE). There are also standalone Window Managers that don't really come bundled with any apps.

What do you mean by "very old?" Gentoo is a source-based distribution. That is, when you install stuff, you use portage (the emerge utility) to download source code and compile it. Depending on how old the computer is (especially the processor), compiling might take a very long time for large applications like OpenOffice or DEs like GNOME or KDE.

If you're new to Linux, this Gentoo stuff might be tough for you, especially if you're just looking to "explore." There are other distros that tend to be better fit to exploring Linux. Not to discourage you, it's just that Gentoo is typically considered a distro for more advanced users. I didn't consider myself ready to give Gentoo a go until I had been using other distros (Ubuntu, Fedora) for over a year.

Again, not trying to discourage. You're welcome to stick with Gentoo, of course.
TreoTra93
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, no I know what a desktop envoirment is.
By "very old" I mean that my computer is really old. The one I used to "explore" Linux. So I just wanted to try something on it, Linux. That's why I wanted to try Gentoo.

Okay, thank you everybody, I will be back, hehe, but I'll just try a little simpler distro to revive my old PC.
What would you say is the best distro to prepare oneself to Gentoo?
Between all the distros?
Thanks for the help, I will be back because I really want to learn to use Gentoo. :)
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give us some specs on the machine, please--it will help us recommend a distro. CPU, memory, disk space, other hardware, etc.

The problem with "really old," for large values of "really," is that many of the all-inclusive distros will run poorly, if at all. Recent desktops can crush an older CPU under the weight of their default features. Older hardware sometimes causes problems for recent LiveCDs (not Linux per se, but the kernel as built for the CD).

On the other hand, in hardware terms five years is not really old for Linux. Ten years is getting there. Fifteen would require determination and a little magic. :)
TreoTra93
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I bought the computer about 6 years ago. And even then it wasn't a good computer, it was just a cheap one on a sale, I got it for about 100 bucks.
ATI graphics
Intel Celeron.
about 70 GB harddrive
I don't really know much more about it because I don't know how to see what else there is.
I think there was a 2.20 GB CPU or something
1 GB ram maybe more, that I don't know.
I don't know so much more about the machine.
forkbomb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TreoTra93 wrote:
Okay, I bought the computer about 6 years ago. And even then it wasn't a good computer, it was just a cheap one on a sale, I got it for about 100 bucks.
ATI graphics
Intel Celeron.
about 70 GB harddrive
I don't really know much more about it because I don't know how to see what else there is.
I think there was a 2.20 GB CPU or something
1 GB ram maybe more, that I don't know.
I don't know so much more about the machine.

That's actually not "very old." :P Actually, installing Gentoo on that is probably more than doable if you do want to stick with Gentoo. By "very old" I thought you might be referring to some resurrected 8086 era machine!

I've built Gentoo on a machine with a Pentium II 500mhz processor, 128MB of RAM, and Voodoo graphics. I did it to get a feel for the Gentoo install process before trying it on my main machine. Took forever to emerge some important system components (not to mention building a kernel), but with patience I got it done.

Just a couple commands you can run that will show you more about the hardware on the machine (run these from a LiveCD):
Code:

cat /proc/cpuinfo
/usr/sbin/lspci

Put it this way. These days it's considered almost "common knowledge" that your computer is useless within 6 months of it being bought. And I guess in a sense considering how fast technology moves, a computer is obsolete within a few months (meaning that there is something bigger and better available for the same price 6 months later), but that doesn't imply uselessness. Computers that might be too "slow" and "old" to run the latest Microsoft offerings can make great homes for Linux. /rambling
TreoTra93
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, It's not super old, but for me, I'm 15 and the computer is about to be 7 years old and that is a little less than half my life.
Yes I've heard alot about Linux reviving older computers.
Okay, thanks for the commands
I'll just write everything I got from cat /proc/cpuinfo:

processor: 0
vendor_id: GenuineIntel
cpu family: 15
model: 2
model name: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.80GHz
stepping: 9
cpu MHz: 2800.151
cache size: 128 KB
fdiv_bug: no
hlt_bug: no
f00f_bug: no
coma_bug: no
fpu: yes
fpu_exception: yes
cpuid level: 2
wp: yes
flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe up pebs bts sync_rdtsc
cid xtpr
bogomips: 5603.07
clflush size: 64

Graphics card: ATI Technologies Mobility Radeon 7000
What Linux distro do you recommend to learn Linux. To prepare for Gentoo. Isn't there an educational distro, not for schools but to learn Linux.
Any suggestion is appreciated :)
forkbomb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I see three separate questions here, so:
TreoTra93 wrote:

What Linux distro do you recommend to learn Linux.

In a word, Ubuntu. I personally don't like using Ubuntu but it is ususally considered the canonical first distro. Almost everybody these days starts on Ubuntu. :) Fedora is another one that should be decent for a newer to intermediate user (though I haven't used Fedora regularly since Fedora 9 or so). I started on Ubuntu and moved to Fedora after a couple months because I didn't really like the feel of Ubuntu.

TreoTra93 wrote:

To prepare for Gentoo.

Well in some sense Linux is Linux, but in another sense distros can be very different. Arch Linux was my personal last distro before going to Gentoo. But those distros have a very different feel. Bottom line is that there aren't many distros that feel a lot like Gentoo other than Sabayon (which was derived from Gentoo). And FreeBSD (but that's BSD, not Linux, and is different enough to make Linux users like me feel very confused).

TreoTra93 wrote:

Isn't there an educational distro, not for schools but to learn Linux.
Any suggestion is appreciated :)

You really can learn a lot about Linux in general from most mainstream distros. Sure, they're different, but the "guts" are often more or less the same.

EDIT: PS - Also, I'm 22. To me, "very old" was the family's first computer - I don't remember the make, but it didn't have a hard drive and booted off of two 5.25-inch floppies. :P
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forkbomb wrote:
In a word, Ubuntu. I personally don't like using Ubuntu but it is ususally considered the canonical first distro.

As far as I know, it is also the first Canonical distro.

As for learning Linux, my suggestion would be to stick with Gentoo if you can get a working system by following the handbook manual installation. A computer of that age should be decently supported, once we find the right settings. Someone on the forums, or failing that, IRC, should be able to help you. Depending on your choice of packages, it will probably require at most a day of compilation time, CPU wise. The main limiting factor is whether you have enough free time to sink into getting this working. Other distributions do have easier installers, so switching might be a good choice if you just want to get the system working now. You can even install Gentoo from inside another distribution later, if you decide to switch back after you are more experienced.

I feel like I should be telling you two to get off my lawn. :P
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TreoTra93,

To *learn* stick with Gentoo. You have already learned a great deal as you have got your install to boot. You already have the skills to maintain Gentoo. Thats the hard bit. From here on, it gets easier.

Being 15 is no disadvantage either. You have not spent so long learning bad Windows habits.
There have been a few gentoo developers who started at that age too.

You don't say how much RAM you have. Top will tell you that
Code:
top - 18:04:48 up 32 min,  2 users,  load average: 1.13, 1.04, 0.99
Tasks: 127 total,   3 running, 124 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  1.2%us,  1.7%sy,  0.0%ni, 78.1%id, 18.9%wa,  0.1%hi,  0.0%si,  0.0%st
Mem:   8176688k total,   780108k used,  7396580k free,   174192k buffers
Swap:  2088416k total,        0k used,  2088416k free,   390728k cached
See the Mem line.
If you have 512Mb or more, you can take your pick of the desktop environments. With less, avoid KDE and GNOME.

I run Gentoo on a 600MHz P3 laptop with only 128Mb RAM but either don't use a GUI at all or use twm, which is a very simple one.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
forkbomb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:

As for learning Linux, my suggestion would be to stick with Gentoo if you can get a working system by following the handbook manual installation.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
TreoTra93,

To *learn* stick with Gentoo. You have already learned a great deal as you have got your install to boot. You already have the skills to maintain Gentoo. Thats the hard bit. From here on, it gets easier.

What they said. I had never thought of it that way. Strike most of what I said. I guess they're right - if you've already got Gentoo installed, sit down, have some quality time with the Gentoo handbook, and hit the ground running.

(Come to think of it, I didn't really get much out of my start with Ubuntu other than bad habits. It wasn't until I started using other distros that I started getting a better understanding.)
TreoTra93
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forkbomb wrote:
Hu wrote:

As for learning Linux, my suggestion would be to stick with Gentoo if you can get a working system by following the handbook manual installation.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
TreoTra93,

What they said. I had never thought of it that way. Strike most of what I said. I guess they're right - if you've already got Gentoo installed, sit down, have some quality time with the Gentoo handbook, and hit the ground running.

(Come to think of it, I didn't really get much out of my start with Ubuntu other than bad habits. It wasn't until I started using other distros that I started getting a better understanding.)

yes, I tried the Ubuntu Wubi installation and the Wubi with Xubuntu on "The Old" computer with Gentoo. Okay, and I would really like to stay with Gentoo.
Do I need an internet connection or the CD to install the DE and bootloaders and stuff like that?
Or can I just run some commands and it'll install it?
TreoTra93
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
TreoTra93,

Being 15 is no disadvantage either. You have not spent so long learning bad Windows habits.
There have been a few gentoo developers who started at that age too.

You don't say how much RAM you have. Top will tell you that
Code:
top - 18:04:48 up 32 min,  2 users,  load average: 1.13, 1.04, 0.99
Tasks: 127 total,   3 running, 124 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  1.2%us,  1.7%sy,  0.0%ni, 78.1%id, 18.9%wa,  0.1%hi,  0.0%si,  0.0%st
Mem:   8176688k total,   780108k used,  7396580k free,   174192k buffers
Swap:  2088416k total,        0k used,  2088416k free,   390728k cached
See the Mem line.
If you have 512Mb or more, you can take your pick of the desktop environments. With less, avoid KDE and GNOME.

I run Gentoo on a 600MHz P3 laptop with only 128Mb RAM but either don't use a GUI at all or use twm, which is a very simple one.

Okay, thanks, but Mem? Which one is RAM? The total? I've got 447584k total?
forkbomb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TreoTra93 wrote:

Okay, thanks, but Mem? Which one is RAM? The total? I've got 447584k total?

All the values on the Mem line refer to your RAM. Each value is how it's split up based on the Linux kernel's memory management system. The first value is the total physical amount available to the system.

Another command you can use is 'free -m' - don't be alarmed if you see large amounts of caching and little "free." The kernel typically caches agressively to put all your memory to use.
TreoTra93
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. but then 447584k isn't enough for KDE or GNOME? Will Xfce run acceptably?
forkbomb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xfce is doable on 512MB but is probably borderline for GNOME or KDE. I've heard of people doing KDE or GNOME on 512, though.

But I thought you said earlier though that you had 1GB?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: