Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Which filesystem for install for box for mythtv, vm apps.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Which filesystem for install for box for mythtv, vm apps. Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm building a box, Dell precision 470...dual Xeon 2.8Ghz cpus, 1x 1TB sata drive.

I'm wanting to play with this box...running a mythtv backend on it...and also going to mess around with some VM stuff using maybe qemu or virtualbox

I'm setting up /boot with ext3

I've always used reiserfs in the past, but, with it not being worked on much anymore...etc...I was thinking of trying something like XFS or JFS.

Would one of these be better to use for my / dir?
What about the other partitons I'm going to do under LVM? I'm doing partitons for holding the myth files which are pretty large...I'll be doing lvm for /opt /usr, /home, /tmp too.

Would it be best to mix and match for the /media partions vs the ones listed above?

Can someone give me some pluses and negatives on XFS/JFS?

Thank you,

cayenne
Kulfaangaren!
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my current employer I did a benchmark of file systems.
They were running reiserfs on their old machines and the performance was good, I was however hesitant to install new machines with reiserfs for various reasons.
I ran tests using ext3, reiserfs, JFS, and XFS. The test tested small -> large data chunk sizes and also small -> large files and all combinations.
In short I came to the following conclusions after my test.

ext3 performs very evenly in all combinations but the performance compared to XFS and reiserfs was not so good.
reiserfs was the best performer accept for when using small file sizes.
XFS has better performance when using small files and an almost equal performance to reiserfs when using medium -> large files in combination with medium high -> large data chunk sizes.
JFS is not in the same league as reiserfs and XFS when it comes to performance.

We ended up choosing XFS and in tests using our applications the performance of XFS and reiserfs was almost identical.

// Fredrik
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kulfaangaren! wrote:
At my current employer I did a benchmark of file systems.
They were running reiserfs on their old machines and the performance was good, I was however hesitant to install new machines with reiserfs for various reasons.
I ran tests using ext3, reiserfs, JFS, and XFS. The test tested small -> large data chunk sizes and also small -> large files and all combinations.
In short I came to the following conclusions after my test.

ext3 performs very evenly in all combinations but the performance compared to XFS and reiserfs was not so good.
reiserfs was the best performer accept for when using small file sizes.
XFS has better performance when using small files and an almost equal performance to reiserfs when using medium -> large files in combination with medium high -> large data chunk sizes.
JFS is not in the same league as reiserfs and XFS when it comes to performance.

We ended up choosing XFS and in tests using our applications the performance of XFS and reiserfs was almost identical.

// Fredrik

Wow..that is interesting!!
I was under the impression it was the opposite way..that reiserfs was best for small files, and XFS was better for large ones....

Hmm....decisions decisions. :roll:

Thanks for the reply!!

Any other opinions out there on this?

C
pelelademadera
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reiserfs.
I tested reiserfs, ext3 and xfs, and reiser id the best.
you can read something in phoronix web site, ext4 promisses, but is not as stable as reiser or ext3 and have a lot of data lost during power fail
Los habitantes de las islas Malvinas lo llaman gentoo, nombre en el que se basa la distribución GNU/Linux Gentoo, cuyo objetivo es la optimización para conseguir más rendimiento y velocidad en la ejecución.
------
Kulfaangaren!
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cayenne wrote:

Wow..that is interesting!!
I was under the impression it was the opposite way..that reiserfs was best for small files, and XFS was better for large ones....

Hmm....decisions decisions. :roll:

Thanks for the reply!!

Any other opinions out there on this?

C

Hmmm..maybe I remember it wrong, after checking iozone's website I'm suddenly a bit insecure.
It might have been that XFS was much better with small data chunk sizes on all file sizes but that reiserfs was a little bit better at small -> medium file sizes and XFS and reiserfs was pretty much comparable on medium -> large data chunks on large file sizes.
It was a while ago.
I could always post the data if I can find it and if it would be interesting.

// Fredrik
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: