ORBit server? What?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forkbomb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: ORBit server? What? Reply with quote

Quote:
Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Server ping error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0)
[repeated 4 more times]

I get this sometimes when trying to launch rhythmbox. Sometimes I won't get a rhythmbox window at all when the warning dialog comes up. Sometimes it will give me a small window with only the main playlist window, and when I try to play, the trackbar slides along as if the song is playing, but it's not. No error. Reproduces even if I clear out the rhythmbox dotfiles (the ones I've found) in my home directory.

My google and forum queries are coming up short. I can't find any reason why rhythmbox should be trying to contact any sort of server, much less some "ORBit" something or other.

I do have an NFS share, but I shouldn't have any stale locks (this happens right after clean reboots too). All the music I've added to my rhythmbox library is on local disks anyway so rhythmbox shouldn't be reading from the share in any event.

Incredulity ensues. Any thoughts?

I do run fluxbox as my WM but have never had problems with running any other media players (including rhythmbox) on any distros in Flux before.

Last edited by forkbomb on Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ch00k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if that helps, but that is what i've found by the link in your error message:

Quote:
How do I log in from two machines at once?

You can only have one gconfd accessing a given configuration source at the same time. This means you need to share the same gconfd between the two machines.

This Just Works, with two common catches:

* You have a firewall between the machines.
* For security reasons, remote CORBA connections are normally disabled by default.

To enable remote CORBA connections, add the line "ORBIIOPIPv4=1" to /etc/orbitrc and then restart gconfd using gconftool-2 --shutdown.

Do you have a firewall? Do you have that ORBIIOPIPv4=1 in your /etc/orbitrc?
forkbomb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved.

I was also getting the problem occasionally when launching Firefox (though Firefox always worked). I installed Songbird from the tarball on their website and was getting similar ORBit errors upon playing a song.

I still don't know what that Orbit shtuff is, but I recalled that I had edited some keys with gconf (I think I was trying to change the GTK icon theme without the benefit of all of GNOME), and must have specified some invalid paramaters. Once I deleted these with gconf, I no longer get the errors for now.

Now I don't see any of these problems with Songbird, Rhythmbox, Firefox, etc.
forkbomb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to bump this extremely old thread, but I have still been having occasional issues with various apps (Abiword, FF, OOo, others). Yes, even after I thought I solved it with the gconf stuff - it cropped up again.

I merged lxde last evening and it appeared to not be occuring, but this morning when I opened up FF it happened again.

I've gotten used to the problem and just kind of deal with it, but I am absolutely at a loss. So I'm afraid I must bump again. None of the stuff in the aforementioned link seems to be relevant. The link suggests issues with NFS but I'd think that'd only be a problem if I were pulling configs off of a NFS share (such as having /home mounted to an NFS share, I guess).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: