emerge sync timeout
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HippieJoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: emerge sync timeout Reply with quote

my emerge sync or emerge rsync times out constantly. was working fine earlier today, but i can't get it to finish successfully. is this my end, something i am doing wrong? thanks.
hippiejoe
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless u specified only a single rsync server (which is currently down) in your make.conf - this error is usually a network problem on your side.

anything changed in your network settings? did your provider change something - new ip, new firewall settings? dont forget to review your settings in make.conf - just to be sure...
HippieJoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see i can emerge apps fine. and emerge sync starts fine, it recieves the file list (58148 of them), run through the list down to the X's, then randomly says resync unexpectedly closed: rsync protocol data stream (code 12). used to be code 30 but now it is a 12??? well i got internet, and our admins here at work haven't changed anything in the last 10 years so i am not sure why they would start now. well strange i guess. thanks for the reply.
hippiejoe
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm - does this happen with every rsync server? and wasnt there something in the last newsletter about testing something new with rsync load balancing...
HippieJoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far, yes with every rsync server. not too sure about the news letter, i am a gentoo 2 day old, but loving every bit of it. this is the exact error i get in the same spot everytime...

Code:

x11-wm/asapm/
x11-wm/bbkeys/
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (1301030 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)

well...your guess is probably better then mine :D
HippieJoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey there again...i am trying to use the emerge-webrsync tool. seems to be working so far, i am in the Syncing local tree..." stage right now. not sure why the regular emerge sync is timing out on me, i am 99% sure that our network hasn't changed and considering that it partially works confuses me more. however, i will be happy if this emerge-webrsync tool works. the only thing is that i couldn't find any documentation on the tool. how exactly does it work? how up to date (or out dated) is the portage tree? are there any other dissadvantages to this tool vs. a regular emerge sync? well i appreciate all your help. you will probably be seeing more of me on these forums. take care.
hippiejoe
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newsletter wrote:
Gentoo is also currently experimenting with DirectionalDNS as a means of offering targeted responses to DNS queries for rsync.gentoo.org. Based upon the success of this test, we will be looking to expand the use of DirectionalDNS to other domains as well.

try anything other than rsync.gentoo.org in your make.conf - perhaps thats the error? if this doesnt help...u'll need to use emerge-webrsync till you find the error...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: