Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Which forum Alt. Arch or Portage & Prog. when emerge fails?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlpoole
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Which forum Alt. Arch or Portage & Prog. when emerge fai Reply with quote

I've built Gentoo on a SheevaPlug (arm) and I am emerging various packages.

I'm new to working on a non standard platform and do not know if I should post problems with an emerged package in the forum Gentoo on Alternative Architectures, or in the forum Portage and Programming.

And should I also (or only) log a bug when a package fails to emerge, or does that depend on whether it is masked or not?

For example, I'm trying
Code:
emerge rpm
and it fails with:

Code:
make: *** [all] Error 2
  *  ERROR: app-arch/rpm-4.4.6-r6 failed.
  *  Call stack:
  *                ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called src_compile
  *              environment, line 3524:  Called die
  *  The specific snippet of code:
  *        emake || die "emake failed"
  *   The die message:
  *    emake failed
  *  If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
  *  A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/app-arch/rpm-4.4.6-r6/temp/build.log'.
  *  The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/app-arch/rpm-4.4.6-r6/temp/environment'.
Kulfaangaren!
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

This is a help-forum, not a bug-reporting-forum :)
If you think you have found a bug in an ebuild, your best bet is to report it on Gentoo Bugzilla after reading the Gentoo Bug Reporting Guide.
If you think you have found a bug in the code of the program you are trying to compile then you should probably report it to upstream.

How ever...if you need help in maybe understanding what went wrong with your emerge then these forums can be the right place, but we will require a little bit more information. The snippet you posted is not the error, but the exit message from emerge. This message is displayed twice, once just below the actual error and once as part of delayeed messages from emerge at the end of the emerge run.

What the guys here will need to be able to figure things out are the real error messages from the compile of the code.

// Fredrik
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: