Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Dual Proc iso
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcstimm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:51 pm    Post subject: Dual Proc iso Reply with quote

IT would be really nice to have a gentoo iso that was taylored for individual systems, for example, I have a dual pentium III computer, and When I went though the install of gentoo it said no where to add "sse and mmx" to my USE and to change MAKEOPTS="-j2" to MAKEOPTS="-j3" in my make.global file. Also The gentoo cds kernel is not set up for smp so installing gentoo on a dual proc machine is the same as if I had 1 cpu. PLEASE TURN ON SMP SUPPORT IN THE KERNEL!! (on the gentoo install cd) so because of this most of the bootstrap apps are not configured for smp. Please change this!
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Proc iso Reply with quote

dcstimm wrote:
PLEASE TURN ON SMP SUPPORT IN THE KERNEL!! (on the gentoo install cd) so because of this most of the bootstrap apps are not configured for smp.

SMP support in the kernel does not affect the compilation of the bootstrap apps, other than not using both CPUs during the compile. Bootstrapping produces glibc (which is both thread-safe and re-entrant), binutils (which is always single-threaded), and gcc (which is also always single-threaded). Your bootstrapped apps are as multiprocessor-aware as they will ever be.

SSE and MMX are flags to compile for the particular instruction sets of Intel CPUs (MMX since late Pentium line, SSE in PIII and above), but these are USE flags, and don't affect multiprocessing capability at all.

Also, changing MAKEOPTS will only make the compiles go faster (by using both CPUs), and do not affect the compiled output. So, you have lost nothing but a little bit of time by not having SMP enabled on the install disk.
dcstimm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about a SMP kernel on the boot cd? So when I am compiling my system it can use both of my cpus?
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcstimm wrote:
what about a SMP kernel on the boot cd? So when I am compiling my system it can use both of my cpus?

That's really the only point in your post that has merit. ;)

That aside, I also have a dual-P3 box running Gentoo, and I would agree that an SMP kernel would be nice. Though, SMP causes problems on some older boxen, so two kernels would probably be supplied (so instead of hitting enter at the boot: prompt you would type "smp" and hit enter, or whatever).

Feel free to submit a feature request at bugs.gentoo.org; it will then be reviewed by one or more developers and considered for possible inclusion.
digitalnick
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i agree smp in the bootstrap would be a bennefit i guess you could go with a stage 3 to get it up and going as quickly as possible then just rebootstrap with smp but thats kinda a painb
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

already been discussed. locking thread.

--kurt
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: