Unacceptable state of ATI drivers with Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
compres
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Unacceptable state of ATI drivers with Gentoo Reply with quote

I have set up gentoo several times and I have never had so much trouble setting up X server.

I am unsure if this is the fault of ATI developers, but I have to say support in other distros is far far better:
  • Ubuntu 8.10 has them from the repository, work out of box.
  • Debian Lenny does not, but I installed with the binary package from amd.com, worked the first try(catalyst 9.2).
  • Suse 11.1 has them in repository, worked first try.

My initial installation of gentoo was a breeze, the only problem is with the xorg-server and ati-drivers. It is definitely not straight-forward. I managed to make it work only to find several glitches when running opengl applications.

This is not a flame, it is just that I think something must be done.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, can you post this :

Code:

# emerge --info
# equery list xorg
# equery list ati
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of problems did you encounter? Since these drivers are closed source and depend on a rapidly changing target, there are limits on what the Gentoo developers can do to make it easier. Each of the distributions you cited ship prepared binary packages, which greatly reduces the number of variations that need to be tested.

On the other hand, I have never had any problems getting the open ATI drivers working on the first try. ;)
compres
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
Hi, can you post this :

Code:

# emerge --info
# equery list xorg
# equery list ati

emerge --info
Code:

Portage 2.1.6.7 (default/linux/amd64/2008.0, gcc-4.1.2, glibc-2.9_p20081201-r2, 2.6.26-1-amd64 x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-2.6.26-1-amd64-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-2_Quad_CPU_Q6600_@_2.40GHz-with-glibc2.2.5
Timestamp of tree: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 17:30:16 +0000
app-shells/bash:     3.2_p39
dev-lang/python:     2.5.2-r7
sys-apps/baselayout: 1.12.11.1
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.18.1-r2
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.63
sys-devel/automake:  1.7.9-r1, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10.2
sys-devel/binutils:  2.18-r3
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.0-r4
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.26
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.27-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=nocona -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo /etc/udev/rules.d"
CXXFLAGS="-march=nocona -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="ccache distlocks fixpackages parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo"
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1"
LINGUAS="en es de"
MAKEOPTS="-j5"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X acl amd64 berkdb bzip2 cli cracklib crypt cups dri fortran gdbm gpm hal iconv ipv6 isdnlog kde midi mmx mudflap multilib ncurses nls nptl nptlonly opengl openmp pam pcre perl pppd python qt4 readline reflection session spl sse sse2 ssl sysfs tcpd unicode xorg zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LINGUAS="en es de" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, FFLAGS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

equery list xorg
Code:
[ Searching for package 'xorg' in all categories among: ]
 * installed packages
[I--] [  ] app-doc/xorg-docs-1.4-r1 (0)
[I--] [  ] app-doc/xorg-sgml-doctools-1.2 (0)
[I--] [ ~] x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r5 (0)
[I--] [ ~] x11-base/xorg-x11-7.4 (0)

equery list ati
Code:
[ Searching for package 'ati' in all categories among: ]
 * installed packages
[I--] [ ~] x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.582 (0)

I hope am doing something wrong :)

Last edited by compres on Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
compres
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
What kind of problems did you encounter? Since these drivers are closed source and depend on a rapidly changing target, there are limits on what the Gentoo developers can do to make it easier. Each of the distributions you cited ship prepared binary packages, which greatly reduces the number of variations that need to be tested.

On the other hand, I have never had any problems getting the open ATI drivers working on the first try. ;)

I get glitches when running ut2004. the mouse is also unusable int hat application.

If I try to install the package directly from ATI it fails.

Hopefully I missed something and this has a solution, I would much rather stay with gentoo that to use debian :(
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is unfortunate. I was hoping for a more obvious failure, along the lines of a program crash or hang. Those are easier to debug than mouse responsiveness issues. Lacking any other options, try booting an Ubuntu/Debian/SuSE kernel with your Gentoo userland. That will let us determine whether the problem is with the ATI kernel module interacting badly with your Gentoo kernel or if the problem is in how the ATI userland libraries are behaving. You may need to rebuild the ATI kernel shim for the other distribution kernel, but hopefully you can get the right shim from the system where the distribution where you tested before.

Also, can you check whether the ATI package you used on the other systems is the same version as the one you installed in Gentoo? nVidia closed drivers tend to be very hit-or-miss, and it would not surprise me if the ATI drivers were as well. If so, jumping from one version to another, even as an upgrade, could be the difference between perfect functionality and a system that regularly panics.
compres
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
That is unfortunate. I was hoping for a more obvious failure, along the lines of a program crash or hang. Those are easier to debug than mouse responsiveness issues. Lacking any other options, try booting an Ubuntu/Debian/SuSE kernel with your Gentoo userland. That will let us determine whether the problem is with the ATI kernel module interacting badly with your Gentoo kernel or if the problem is in how the ATI userland libraries are behaving. You may need to rebuild the ATI kernel shim for the other distribution kernel, but hopefully you can get the right shim from the system where the distribution where you tested before.

Also, can you check whether the ATI package you used on the other systems is the same version as the one you installed in Gentoo? nVidia closed drivers tend to be very hit-or-miss, and it would not surprise me if the ATI drivers were as well. If so, jumping from one version to another, even as an upgrade, could be the difference between perfect functionality and a system that regularly panics.

I will give it a last try from scratch. It is possible I messed up along the way.

One problem I have is that it is a new system so I really need the latest drivers. It is a 4870.

Are there newer drivers than 582 through portage? i.e. that I could get by unmasking instead of adding it to package.keywords.
compres
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed somehow to get the driver working with no glitches. Now I still have the crazy mouse behavior.

Since I have the new Xorg-server, I have to configure the device in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-x11-input.fdi .

The mouse resets to the lower corner of the screen, so if I try to move it, it will move there again. Basically unusable. I will start digging on this issue, but if you guys have a suggestion then it is welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Tadeas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this workaround to get the ATI drivers working. I put "fglrx" to VIDEO_CARDS, download the ati-driver-installer from ati.amd.com, put "x11-drivers/ati-driver-XXXXX" to /etc/make.profile/package.provided where XXXXX is the version I've downloaded (8.592 for 9-3) and emerge xorg. Works fine...
However, the installation of either x11-drivers/ati-drivers and the ati-driver-installer from ati.amd.com doesn't work with 2.6.29 yet!
compres
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some digging, the problem with the cursor was related to the ut2004 game, so everything is good now.

I think I will keep 8.582 now since it's working and all :D

What do you do after you put the package in the package.provided file? I copied the ati .run file in portage distfiles directory, but dont know how to start the installation after that.
Tadeas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

compres wrote:
What do you do after you put the package in the package.provided file? I copied the ati .run file in portage distfiles directory, but dont know how to start the installation after that.

It's an executable, so just run it as root. However you have to chmod +x it first of course... It will create the fglrx module (you need the kernel sources or headers - this doesn't matter in Gentoo, but in other distros it does) and install it. Then you just modprobe it and you can start X. There's also a good utility, aticonfig --initial, which will configure the xorg.conf to be aware of and use the new fglrx module.
compres
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tadeas wrote:
compres wrote:

It's an executable, so just run it as root. However you have to chmod +x it first of course... It will create the fglrx module (you need the kernel sources or headers - this doesn't matter in Gentoo, but in other distros it does) and install it. Then you just modprobe it and you can start X. There's also a good utility, aticonfig --initial, which will configure the xorg.conf to be aware of and use the new fglrx module.

Ahh ok, thats how I do it in debian.
M
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is wise to use fglrx installer on gentoo, same goes for nvidia installer, I don't have much experience with ati but I did fought fight with them a couple of times. All those binary drivers comes with their own libraries, libGL etc. and gentoo has a very nice interface via eselect to choose which opengl you will use, maybe you will want to try open drivers later and then you must manually clean the chaos that installers left.
Also, gentoo can't do much here, ati drivers are known to be very baaad, I know the taste, been there, and still I am convinced (altough not sure) that devs are done what can be done, gentoo will not edit magicaly your xorg.conf, not force update configs, nobody will compile your kernel (maybe genkernel but I never used the tool). I know for example that nvidia driver eclass will take your pci card id and compare with ids from nvidia docs and suggest you which legacy driver to use and what to mask because there are like 3 legacy driver but there it stops, it is simple to continue and install right version for user but that is YOUR job, that is how gentoo works. I didn't saw something like that in other distros, arch has wiki page that tells you how you can choose the right driver, ubuntu I don't know but I guess it is similar. So gentoo will do stuff for you but just not that stuff...

As I figured ati drivers need just too many magic options, new version fixes bugs but creates even worse bugs etc. open source drivers are maybe not that powerfull for games (not yet) but at least there are no hard locking etc.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo Chat.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem with fglrx/nvidia-drivers with Gentoo is that there are too many possible variables, and there's no way for ATI/NVidia to check every single possibility. On other distributions, there are a lot of fixed options that aren't normally changed, and that reduces the search space for issues when making a distribution. Best bet for Gentoo is to avoid these binary kernel modules if you can, else configure it exactly as if it were a Redhat/Debian/Ubuntu/SuSE/... or other more well known distribution.

YMMV.
compres
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys the good news is that it works and it works fast.

The only issue is amdcccle does not work. Gives a segmentation fault message which is not very helpful.

I will dig deeper into the issue later, but if you have this happened to you please let me know of any posible reason. This is 8.582 from portage.
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the mouse issue it sounds like a problem I've had in several games for a long time now. It seems to be related to SDL, and I finally solved it by adding:

Code:
Section "Module"
   SubSection  "extmod"
      Option    "omit xfree86-dga"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

to my xorg.conf. This does some magic on the mouse. Hope it helps!
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M wrote:
open source drivers are maybe not that powerful for games (not yet) but at least there are no hard locking etc.

i got a hardlock VT switching the other day... it's not as bad as ati-drivers... when i was using them, almost every VT switch ended in a hardlock. :?

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardlocks should stop with KMS soon. Of course not for the binary blobs. 8)
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
when i was using them, almost every VT switch ended in a hardlock. :?

our word in AMD/ATI's ear :(

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
compres
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't seem to get amdcccle working.

Do you guys know how to modify the antialias and anisotropic, etc, without this tool?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: