no kitchensync?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bastain
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: no kitchensync? Reply with quote

hi,

i want to sync my zaurus with my gentoo-linux-kde. i heard theres no qtopia-desktop-app which i can use with gentoo. but i heard of kitchensync for kde? but i found no hit with emerge -s kitchensync....?!

thanx
bastian
green sun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: no kitchensync? Reply with quote

bastain wrote:
hi,

i want to sync my zaurus with my gentoo-linux-kde. i heard theres no qtopia-desktop-app which i can use with gentoo. but i heard of kitchensync for kde? but i found no hit with emerge -s kitchensync....?!

thanx
bastian

Hate to break the news to ya, but.... not every app in the world exists in Portage as an ebuild. The more obscure an app, the less likely someone has written an ebuild. You will most likely have to dl & build it from source yourself.

It may be a good way for you to be introduced to writing an ebuild however... review the docs & try writing one for the app! Then submit it to developers.. maybe they will accept it.
bastain
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see and you are right. If I want to have that ebuild, I have to read the docs and build it by myself. But why is a software for syncing pdas with linux obscure. I know of no app that can handle that. I think for a linux-desktop it is crucial to handle that, because there are many business-people who use a pda and want to use linux. but they don want to build it by themselve...

bastian
Pythonhead
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bastain wrote:
But why is a software for syncing pdas with linux obscure?

One reason is because the author has the sourcecode saved as latest.tgz which makes it a pain to make an ebuild, since the version number needs to be in the filename, unless Gentoo mirrors the file.

I was just about to make an ebuild when I read your post, but its a pain when people get lazy with their file-naming. I'll post it a little later if I'm successful.
green sun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bastain wrote:
But why is a software for syncing pdas with linux obscure.

Nope, just that the *more* obsure an app... so some little Kicker applet that you really like, but all of about 10 people in the world use, is not going to have a big chance of having an ebuild... whereas, Firebird (an app lots of people use) has one, and has had one for a while...

Its just the nature of the beast... ebuilds are done by developers and contributers, and if no developer is interested in that PDA app, then its up to someone to contribute an ebuild.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: