View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IndianZ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Evolution inbox mails lost Reply with quote

When upgrading to Evolution 2.24.5 there was a migration to sqlite. Evolution was open when upgrading, now the mails from the inbox are all gone. New mails I can receive, but the mails stored in the inbox (before the upgrade) aren't any longer available. I already tried to evolution --force-shutdown and restart, but this didn't solve the problem. Any help welcome, thanks in advance.
jetboo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same problem here :S
NightMonkey
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah, I just upgraded evolution (~x86) to 2.24.5, and now after the migration, I'm seeing all my messages duplicated. It appears that evolution is now re-downloading my "offline messages" (which were already present) from my IMAP provider. I'll let it keep going (though it is downloading them quite slowly), and see if it all magically returns to nominal. I'll report back.

Evolution worked fine for me for so long... :(
csteeves
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be having these faults, and Evolution has added some extra, just for me.

I had the duplicate message issue after yesterday's upgrade, and every new, duplicate message was tagged as:

Code:
Could not find message body in FETCH response.

This seemed to resolve itself with a restart of Evolution. A more serious problem occurred when I checked my "Sent" mail folder today - the one that is automatically created on the local file system. All seemed to be normal for about half a second, then every e-mail which I sent before upgrading Evolution and converting to SQLite disappeared. The data in .evolution/mail/local/Sent now represents only 24 hours of e-mail. I deserve a beating for not making a backup right before upgrading, but this is the first time in four or five years that system upgrades have caused lost data (lost time is another matter).

Craig
NightMonkey
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the duplicate message problem resolved itself today on a new startup of evolution. It took about 6-7 hours for evolution to complete whatever it was doing before I could shut it down (mostly it was downloading offline messages.... again). I wonder if I would have made things worse or better if I just quit evolution (and SIGQUIT EDS) during this time? I'm sure that other users will probably not be as patient.

I'm just lucky that I have all my folders IMAPS (including Sent and Drafts), so a complete loss wouldn't be so bad. Well, unless Evo went nuts and zapped mail on the IMAP server... Yes, unexpected behaviour in software makes me paranoid about its reliability.
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a little more bizarre problem - a phantom unread message in one of the inboxes (it's a gmail via IMAP). And it appeared several days after the update. I can't get rid of the damned thing. The "mark all as read" option doesn't do crap. Other inboxes work fine and this one also seems to work but there is this one phantom message...
csteeves
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found another problem: one of my archived mail folders now produces the message:

Code:
The folder appears to be irrecoverably corrupted.

This was a really screwy update. Most seem to be fairly mundane, but this one has had catastrophic consequences. I'd like to suggest that updates which pose more than the usual danger to data (ie actually operate on private data rather than the repairable system files) be tagged with a larger warning so that backups can be performed immediately before the update starts.

Craig
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: