Hardened-sources-2.6.28-r2 - rt61pci kernel panic
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Hardened-sources-2.6.28-r2 - rt61pci kernel panic Reply with quote

Hi,

Wondered if anyone else is seeing this, I'm not finding anything here or with Google either.

Decided a few days ago to change to using the in-kernel rt61pci wlan driver on my server box (was using the ralink-rt61 ebuild patched in bugzilla). Was (and in fact, am back on) hardened-sources-2.6.27-r8. Using wpa_supplicant to connect to my router (WPA2SPK, CCMP). Relatively pain-free once I found the rt61-firmware ebuild.

However, a couple of nights ago hardened-sources-2.6.28-r2 was released, so I upgraded, did my usual thing with copying .config from old kernel dir, make oldconfig, make menuconfig just to check through things, built and installed as per for the last 6 3/4 years.

Am now getting a kernel panic - and it's definitely rt61pci related as I compile is as a module, and just to test I shifted the rt61pci.ko module from /lib/modules/wherever to somewhere the kernel autoloader can't find it, and the kernel boots OK but no networking obviously.

When net.wlan0 starts and it gets backgrounded to wpa_supplicant to do it's business and connect, after a couple of seconds while it does this I get a kernel panic. The last entry in my logs is -

Code:
Mar 14 20:03:04 foucault wpa_cli: interface wlan0 CONNECTED

Are there any changes required to wpa_supplicant config files for 2.6.28 kernels? It's been that long since I had a kernel panic I don't even know how to go about debugging it, and I stopped subscribing to LKML years ago.

Does anyone know of any issues here (and possible fixes), or should I just get myself over to bugzilla and start a-filing?
cassiol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heloo

i have same trouble here. but i use tuxonice
when i try use in-kernel rt73usb wlan driver system crash with kernel panic

turnaround
download and compile drivers from http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cassiol wrote:
heloo

i have same trouble here. but i use tuxonice
when i try use in-kernel rt73usb wlan driver system crash with kernel panic

turnaround
download and compile drivers from http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/

From the serialmonkey website -

Quote:
Our drivers come in two flavors: enhanced RaLink legacy drivers and next-generation rt2x00 drivers (included mainline Linux kernel).

So either go back to the old ralink-rt61 ebuild from bugzilla or use the rt2x00 driver in the kernel - which doesn't work. I think the best way to deal with this is actually to try and get it fixed in the kernel.

I tried a completely plain unpatched 2.6.28 which failed as well, so it's definitely the bare kernel and none of the Gentoo/hardened patches.

I've masked hardened-sources-2.6.28-r2 until this gets fixed upstream. I'll probably file a bug about it later today.

EDIT - Just had a look at the 2.6.28 ChangeLog on kernel.org. There are so many changes to the rt2x00 driver and wireless in general that my idea of trying to back out patches and see what happens seems a bit daft. May look at 2.6.29-rc kernel to see if it's still broken.
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloaded 2.6.29-rc8 tarball from kernel.org and rt61pci works again - looking through the changelogs, the r2x00 driver has been updated to 2.2.3. So it's been fixed upstream but the patch/driver updates have not been backported to 2.6.28 series.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: