Foundation Election Manifesto Request for Comments
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quantumsummers
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Foundation Election Manifesto Request for Comments Reply with quote

The trustees are electing new board members starting today, and I have been nominated to run.

Take a look at my manifesto http://dev.gentoo.org/~quantumsummers/manifesto_2009.html

I will respond to comments here, via email, or irc.

Thank you,

quantumsummers | Foundation Secretary

"...there are no rules here -- we're trying to accomplish something."
- Thomas A. Edison

Last edited by quantumsummers on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
rane
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for writing a manifesto, it's good to know that candidates have set specific goals to achieve in the coming term. Good luck in the election.
mabi
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your manifesto. Although some goals will need a significant time to get implemented (thinking Gentoo certifications), imho.
But it's good to see candicates having visions.

One point i'd like to know more about: you speak a lot of enhancing the coorperation with US-based institutions (K-12 school, etc.) - how do you see the cooperation with non-US entities, schools, universities, etc.? I'm especially keen on your take of regional gentoo "clubs", like the Gentoo e.V. here in Germany.
quantumsummers
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mabi,

Thanks for reading it!

Yes creating a curriculum for a certification program will take significant time, but it will be worth it.

Regarding enhanced cooperation with educational orgs, you are right, I did lean a bit too heavily on US models, but I strongly believe that it is applicable to non-US institutions as well. What I want to convey is the intent to bring Gentoo into partnership with primary, secondary, and tertiary educational institutions globally.

Regarding regional organizations or "clubs", I know that they are a strong component of the life blood of Gentoo. Gentoo e.V. is particularly interesting because it is set up as a proper EU non-profit, yet it seems to be languishing a bit. Support for the regional groups is essential, and I think that the best way to support these groups is through strong and proactive leadership in the Foundation. Now, the following may be a bit down the road, so to speak, but I would like to see sustainable regional groups everywhere, with organizational management on every continental that is supported ultimately by the foundation. This would be the pinnacle if organizational achievement, and a worthy long term goal.

Thanks mabi, for bringing up these interesting points. Please comment further. My hope for this thread is a vigorous discourse :)

"...there are no rules here -- we're trying to accomplish something."
- Thomas A. Edison
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed reading your manifesto and I tend to agree with your ideas. ;)

I'm also looking for a tax-friendly way to support Gentoo once I'm self-employed, since I'm profiting from the work of others for two years now, contributing only via bugzilla. Tax-friendly essentially means I want to ensure all the money actually goes to Gentoo while I'm also looking for a way to write it off against tax. Which might involve paying someone directly for a specific improvement instead of donating money.
ryker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see such clearly thought out goals. I hope if you're elected you're able to put your plans into action.
I really like goal #5; however, I'm not sure how feasible it is given the current philosophy and status of Gentoo. The people likely to pay for certification training will be those that use Gentoo in their business currently or plan on implementing it soon. Although I realize there are quite a few that use Gentoo in an enterprise environment (myself included), most use RedHat. This is not just because RedHat was first to really tap the market and thus be able to establish a firm hold on it, but also because of the long term support and release cycles. Most businesses require an OS that has clearly established long term support and specific release cycles so they can ensure they have a homogeneous and stable environment. I don't see how this is possible with Gentoo without setting up a special 'enterprise' repository that stable updates are pulled from that has a clearly defined release cycle and versioning method.
I really hope Gentoo does get an 'enterprise' repository some day. Lord knows it's been mentioned enough times throughout the years. I don't see how this is possible without dedicated paid developers to create and support this type of infrastructure.

Just my 2 cents. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: