Full Screen Console Dell Inspiron 2600
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhurt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Full Screen Console Dell Inspiron 2600 Reply with quote

Greetings,

I have been trying over the past two weeks to get a full screen console on my laptop. I am not sure what I have been doing wrong. But I have tried two different paths to success an niether seems to work. The first path that I tried was compiling in frame buffer support to the kernel. The next thing that I tried, was using SVGATextMode to help.

First with the frame buffer I have gone through the tutorials and tried several different kernel distributions and have not gotten far at all. As some of the tutorials reguarding this type of laptop have suggested I updated the BIOS to the latest version. Then, I attemped to set my laptop to a higher resolution than the 640x400 setting that it is now. The problem is, right after the grub/lilo (I have tried both) boot screen pops up (working fine in full screen) and it selects the vga mode to go into, no matter what is selected it goes to 640x400 in a small box. I believe the frame buffer is working because I get the tux penguin to display on the boot screen, but it is very pixlated and the colors are all wrong.

I have tried using the vga console driver and then I have also tried using the experimental support for the Intel 830 Console Driver Support in the 2.4.21 Vanilla Kernel.

My Lilo.conf Contains the following:
Code:

lba32
boot = /dev/hda
map = /boot/.map
install = /boot/boot-text.b   
menu-scheme=Wb
prompt
timeout=150
default=Gentoo

#No Frame Buffer
image = /boot/bzImage
        root = /dev/hda3
        label = Gentoo
        read-only

#Frame Buffer with VGA Drivers
image = /boot/vmlinuz
        read-only
        label = Test1
        vga = 791
        root = /dev/hda3
        initrd=/boot/initrd

#Frame Buffer with Intel 830
image = /boot/vmlinuz.new
        read-only
        label = Testing
        root = /dev/hda3
        append="video=vga16:off"
        vga=0x305
        initrd=/boot/initrd

The next solution that I tried was trying to get SVGATextMode going. I downloaded the sources, but was not able to get them to compile on my machine. I am getting this error.
Code:

cfgfile.y: At top level:
cfgfile.y:269: parse error before '*' token
cfgfile.y:269: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `yyin'
cfgfile.y:269: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
make[1]: *** [y.tab.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ender/SVGATextMode-1.10'
make: *** [bininstall] Error 2

I then tried to get the new ebuild-beta patch which can be found here:https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=19485 working but was not able to either.

I do not really need a higher resolution display right now (would be nice) but the main thing that I would like is the console displayed full screen. Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
Garbz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try with video=vesa:1024:whatever option. I think that's the syntax anyway.

This uses a generic vesa vga driver for the console.
I can't help u any further than that because i have ati cards and use their framebuffer drivers.
dhurt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. I forgot to try that out under lilo and I think the command that you were looking for was: video=vesa:1024x768@70 or whatever parameters you want. I believe for lilo you have to pass it with the append command like this:

append="video=vesa:1024x768@60 "

because lilo does not seem to have a video flag. However when I enter this command, it comes back with display mode unrecognized. It then prompts about what display modes are availible, if I select any of them, the display flickers, briefly goes to a different size and then reverts back to the 640x480 size. And I am back to square one, all this lovely moniter space going to waste.
Garbz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok then back to sqaure 1. In the kernel have you compiled in video mode selection support, framebuffer support, vga frame buffers, vesa support etc. ?
dhurt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Sorry for the long delay in responding Reply with quote

I finally got frame buffer support working correctly. It turns out the most recent patch from dell, version A09 is buggy and does not work correctly with frame buffer. You have to download version A08 and this solves the problem. To download this file you have to go here: ftp.dell.com/bios/I2600A08.exe and have a windows machine handy :roll: to format the disk because that is what the excutable to setup the bios disk works with.

Thanks for the help. :D
Garbz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

np also mines a i4100 so our bios is at A12 allready :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: