Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Recommended Foreign Films, Part II
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
plbe
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 May 2004
Posts: 661

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Recommended Foreign Films, Part II Reply with quote

I've grown a severe dislike for nearly every film Hollywood has put out in the past couple of years with the exception of a select few, it's all the same shit. I'm now after some good recent foreign films to watch. I find it somewhat hard to find good recent foreign films because they are not advertised here much in the states, you kind of have to dig around for them, so I'm asking here. I was lucky enough to stumble upon Låt den rätte komma in at IMDB which blew me away. I'm now going to check out Gomorra and 4 luni, 3 saptamâni si 2 zile. So who's got some other good recent ones? By recent I mean past couple of years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t


Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Posts: 943
Location: Bash$

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to recommend Der Untergang, if you haven't seen it yet. It's one of my favourite movies.
_________________
PKA Cuber
Please add [SOLVED] to the subject of your original post when you feel that your problem is resolved.
Adopt an unanswered post
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plbe
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 May 2004
Posts: 661

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuber wrote:
I would like to recommend Der Untergang, if you haven't seen it yet. It's one of my favourite movies.


Seen it..I agree, it's very good. While we're on German I've also seen Das Leben der Anderen & Lola rennt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plbe
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 May 2004
Posts: 661

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple other recent ones I've seen which are worth a mention:

Boy A
Eden Lake
Banlieue 13
Chugyeogja
Chinjeolhan geumjassi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2045
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schtonk

Die Brücke

M

Metropolis

Warum läuft Herr R. Amok?

especially M - after watching that you don't need to watch any crime thriller again. They all copied from that movie.

Drowning by numbers - a good film if you are into surrealistic stuff.

Delamorte Delamore in its uncut version.

Suspiria (!)
_________________
Study finds stunning lack of racial, gender, and economic diversity among middle-class white males

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
arnuld
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 13 Apr 2007
Posts: 124

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended Foreign Films, Part II Reply with quote

plbe wrote:
I've grown a severe dislike for nearly every film Hollywood has put out in the past couple of years with the exception of a select few, it's all the same shit.


Perhaps you have not seen Conspiracy, Death of a President, 8MM, Freedom Writers and Lord of War

plbe wrote:

I'm now after some good recent foreign films to watch. I find it somewhat hard to find good recent foreign films because they are not advertised here much in the states, you kind of have to dig around for them, so I'm asking here. I was lucky enough to stumble upon Låt den rätte komma in at IMDB which blew me away. I'm now going to check out Gomorra and 4 luni, 3 saptamâni si 2 zile. So who's got some other good recent ones? By recent I mean past couple of years.


Journey from the Fall ?
Tropa de Elite ?
_________________
arnuld
http://lispmachine.wordpress.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
srunni
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Dec 2007
Posts: 365

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ハウルの動く城
火垂るの墓
_________________
Patrick Ewing wrote:
if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it’s a duck, right? So if this duck is not giving you the noise that you want, you’ve got to just punch that duck until it returns what you expect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2045
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srunni wrote:
ハウルの動く城
火垂るの墓


animation - I thought this thread was about (serious) films, not children stuff?
_________________
Study finds stunning lack of racial, gender, and economic diversity among middle-class white males

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
srunni
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Dec 2007
Posts: 365

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
srunni wrote:
ハウルの動く城
火垂るの墓


animation - I thought this thread was about (serious) films, not children stuff?
Did you even bother to actually read the Wiki page? For 火垂るの墓:
Wikipedia wrote:
Some critics (most notably Roger Ebert) consider it to be one of the most powerful anti-war movies ever made.


And ハウルの動く城 is nothing to sneeze at either. It is a common Western misperception that animated non-comedy video is only for children. Anime is created for all age groups, and Miyazaki's films in particular tend to transcend age barriers.
_________________
Patrick Ewing wrote:
if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it’s a duck, right? So if this duck is not giving you the noise that you want, you’ve got to just punch that duck until it returns what you expect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2045
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course japan animation is for all age groups! Pokemon to rip of children, Yu-Goi-Oh to rip of older children, and tentacle rape hentai for adults. Sure, there is something for everybody - if you like tentacle porn.
_________________
Study finds stunning lack of racial, gender, and economic diversity among middle-class white males

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sts
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 97

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srunni wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
srunni wrote:
ハウルの動く城
火垂るの墓


animation - I thought this thread was about (serious) films, not children stuff?
Did you even bother to actually read the Wiki page? For 火垂るの墓:
Wikipedia wrote:
Some critics (most notably Roger Ebert) consider it to be one of the most powerful anti-war movies ever made.


And ハウルの動く城 is nothing to sneeze at either. It is a common Western misperception that animated non-comedy video is only for children. Anime is created for all age groups, and Miyazaki's films in particular tend to transcend age barriers.

My main problem is the cutesy animation style prevalent in most anime. If it is an adult story I want to see some fucking adults in it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
srunni
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Dec 2007
Posts: 365

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sts wrote:
srunni wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
srunni wrote:
ハウルの動く城
火垂るの墓


animation - I thought this thread was about (serious) films, not children stuff?
Did you even bother to actually read the Wiki page? For 火垂るの墓:
Wikipedia wrote:
Some critics (most notably Roger Ebert) consider it to be one of the most powerful anti-war movies ever made.


And ハウルの動く城 is nothing to sneeze at either. It is a common Western misperception that animated non-comedy video is only for children. Anime is created for all age groups, and Miyazaki's films in particular tend to transcend age barriers.

My main problem is the cutesy animation style prevalent in most anime.
Well, that is the definition of anime...if you don't like it, then it's not for you.

sts wrote:
If it is an adult story I want to see some fucking adults in it.
There is plenty of anime with adults. If you're referring to 火垂るの墓, it is about orphaned children, so it's not like it can have any adults as a main character...

However, ハウルの動く城 does have adults in it.
_________________
Patrick Ewing wrote:
if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it’s a duck, right? So if this duck is not giving you the noise that you want, you’ve got to just punch that duck until it returns what you expect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sts
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 97

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srunni wrote:
sts wrote:
My main problem is the cutesy animation style prevalent in most anime.
Well, that is the definition of anime...if you don't like it, then it's not for you.

Cowboy Bebop, GITS, and Ergo Proxy are considered anime and have 'adult' animation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
srunni
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Dec 2007
Posts: 365

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sts wrote:
srunni wrote:
sts wrote:
My main problem is the cutesy animation style prevalent in most anime.
Well, that is the definition of anime...if you don't like it, then it's not for you.

Cowboy Bebop, GITS, and Ergo Proxy are considered anime and have 'adult' animation.
Well, they are considered rather unorthodox. I've seen most of Cowboy Bebop and I'm on GitS: S.A.C. 2nd GIG right now, and while I enjoy them, I definitely would not classify them as your typical anime. I have Ergo Proxy, but have yet to watch it.
_________________
Patrick Ewing wrote:
if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it’s a duck, right? So if this duck is not giving you the noise that you want, you’ve got to just punch that duck until it returns what you expect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sts
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 97

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srunni wrote:
sts wrote:
srunni wrote:
sts wrote:
My main problem is the cutesy animation style prevalent in most anime.
Well, that is the definition of anime...if you don't like it, then it's not for you.

Cowboy Bebop, GITS, and Ergo Proxy are considered anime and have 'adult' animation.
Well, they are considered rather unorthodox. I've seen most of Cowboy Bebop and I'm on GitS: S.A.C. 2nd GIG right now, and while I enjoy them, I definitely would not classify them as your typical anime. I have Ergo Proxy, but have yet to watch it.

Perhaps that is why they are popular, then.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
srunni
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Dec 2007
Posts: 365

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sts wrote:
srunni wrote:
sts wrote:
srunni wrote:
sts wrote:
My main problem is the cutesy animation style prevalent in most anime.
Well, that is the definition of anime...if you don't like it, then it's not for you.

Cowboy Bebop, GITS, and Ergo Proxy are considered anime and have 'adult' animation.
Well, they are considered rather unorthodox. I've seen most of Cowboy Bebop and I'm on GitS: S.A.C. 2nd GIG right now, and while I enjoy them, I definitely would not classify them as your typical anime. I have Ergo Proxy, but have yet to watch it.

Perhaps that is why they are popular, then.
They're popular because they're good. There is plenty of unorthodox anime that sucks. However, it is true that those particular series have more popularity in the US because the traditional form of anime is not as appealing to occidental tastes.
_________________
Patrick Ewing wrote:
if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it’s a duck, right? So if this duck is not giving you the noise that you want, you’ve got to just punch that duck until it returns what you expect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vputz
Guru
Guru


Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 310
Location: Oxford, England

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srunni wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
srunni wrote:
ハウルの動く城
火垂るの墓


animation - I thought this thread was about (serious) films, not children stuff?
Did you even bother to actually read the Wiki page? For 火垂るの墓:
Wikipedia wrote:
Some critics (most notably Roger Ebert) consider it to be one of the most powerful anti-war movies ever made.


And ハウルの動く城 is nothing to sneeze at either. It is a common Western misperception that animated non-comedy video is only for children. Anime is created for all age groups, and Miyazaki's films in particular tend to transcend age barriers.


Howl's Moving Castle didn't do much for me, I have to admit (although I did like Spirited Away). But I'll agree 100% with Grave of the Fireflies being a powerful movie; very very well done and effective. I've heard tremendous things about Waltz With Bashir as an effective anti-war animated movie as well, but missed it in the theaters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
darkscreamer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 14 Oct 2006
Posts: 134
Location: The Pirate State of Napoli

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try watching Romanzo Criminale.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
floffe
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Nov 2003
Posts: 414
Location: Linköping, Sweden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cidade de Deus is good, and to get back to Swedish stuff Maria Larsson's Everlasting Moment(s) gripped me. Couscous might be slow for some tastes, but I thought that the ending was perfect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aidy
l33t
l33t


Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Posts: 915

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tin_Drum

watch it in german of course
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vputz
Guru
Guru


Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 310
Location: Oxford, England

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the hell out of Le Pacte des Loups; it's easily the best French-revolution-costume-period-piece-martial-arts-monster-movie I've ever seen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Michuru
n00b
n00b


Joined: 17 Sep 2005
Posts: 5
Location: Iceland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022100/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wah_wah_69
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 26 Aug 2003
Posts: 145

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364569/

Bin-jip
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0423866/
_________________
Be good and if you can't be good, be careful.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
arnuld
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 13 Apr 2007
Posts: 124

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srunni wrote:
ハウルの動く城
火垂るの墓



2nd one will make you weep. I can't ever forget the words in this movie: Seita, one rice for you and one rice for me.. :cry:

It hurts more when you know that its semi-autobiographical. 2nd, did I forget this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0354899/
_________________
arnuld
http://lispmachine.wordpress.com


Last edited by arnuld on Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plbe
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 May 2004
Posts: 661

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floffe wrote:
Cidade de Deus is good, and to get back to Swedish stuff Maria Larsson's Everlasting Moment(s) gripped me. Couscous might be slow for some tastes, but I thought that the ending was perfect.


I've seen Cidade de Deus...excellent. The latter two I haven't seen...I'll put those on my list.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum