Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Tutorials/Resources For SAMBA + LDAP PDC?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LornKnight
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Tutorials/Resources For SAMBA + LDAP PDC? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Years ago I set up a SAMBA + LDAP server to function as a PDC for my lab group at work, and it worked like a charm - it was reliable, stable, fast, and the server fit the needs of the lab group perfectly; Windows and Linux boxes authenticated to the same server, roaming profile support worked, shares were accessible to all ... manna fell from SAMBA heaven, and all were satisfied. Now we have a nice new server, yet, I can't seem to get the new SAMBA/LDAP PDC off the ground. Needless to say, the old configuration is both outdated and not functional three years later. :cry:

Even though I suppose I have made some progress, I am not convinced that I am well informed enough to know exactly what I am doing just yet. Rather than provide a plethora of configuration files and error messages, I would like to ask for any known resources, to see if I can't learn by example or documentation yet unknown to me. Any resources in the way of the following would be very helpful:

• Tutorials on how to set up a SAMBA/LDAP PDC, especially if they cover Gentoo specific items such as USE settings
• Configuration files from people who have managed to create a SAMBA/DLAP PDC successfully
• The name of any current books/articles/published materials covering the SAMBA/LDAP PDC creation
• Any advice of any kind (I need all the help I can get)

Now I do know how to use Google, and I am fairly intelligent. Still some existing HOWTOs have steps left out that others leave in, and yet other information seems rather dated, so I am somewhat confused at this point. Clearly I haven't run across the right materials that enable me to finish up my task, and so I humbly request any resources that would help me understand the process from the ground up from anyone willing to help.

Lastly, since I care about what I am doing, and I wouldn't want anything I struggle through to be any more of a chore for others than it needs be, I would gladly write, or assist with editing, a tutorial/HOWTO style document on the creation of SAMBA/LDAP PDCs a la Gentoo, once I fully understand what I'm doing that is :wink:

Thanks in advance, any help is most appreciated!
LornKnight
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty then,

Well, after bumping into several walls, I finally got everything up and going with SAMBA + LDAP + NSS, with a fancy-schmancy GOsa interface for the administration of the NT4 Domain PDC to boot. No one particular resource had the entire story of what I had to do to get things up and running in my case, but eventually through guessing and putting all the pieces together from various sources I assembled what I needed to get the job done. Most useful among the multitude of documents I poured through was fuzzylab's Gentoo - Samba + Ldap + Gosa HOW-TO, so many thanks to fuzzylab who has very much enabled me to do my job to my own, and several others' as well, satisfaction. :D

Since work makes me document everything I do anyway, I think I'll take the opportunity to go beyond the scope of duty for my employer and write up a comprehensive document on how to install, configure and administer a SAMBA/LDAP/NSS NT4 Domain PDC on the Gentoo platform, aimed at an entry level audience. I will post links to the document when I have it completed.

If anyone has any thoughts about how to best suit the document to the needs of as many people as possible, I'd happily, and gratefully, read any suggestions anyone would like to share with me.

Caio for now!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: