View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sevalecan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Setting the "main" monitor in X.org Reply with quote

I've had dual monitors set up for quite some time on my machine. I have a single nVidia GeForce 7300 GT with both a VGA port and a DVI port on the back.

Originally, my setup was like this:

CRT plugged into VGA port on the video card,
LCD plugged into DVI port on the video card using a DVI->VGA adapter.

I used the LCD as my main monitor, the taskbar was on it and when I played fullscreen games, that's the monitor they'd set the mode on. Everything was fine and dandy. But today I got a new LCD to hook in side by side with the old one. It's larger and higher resolution, so naturally I wanted to use it as my primary screen or whatever X thinks that is. I moved the old LCD to the vga port and plugged the new monitor into the DVI port (this time without a DVI->VGA adapter).

I changed a few settings for the higher resolution, and started X up.. But at this point, the new LCD is still playing the old CRT's role. I wanted to change that, so I messed around with my X configuration. Alot. And no matter what I do, my old LCD is always being used as the primary screen.

I got a new config for X from scratch, and this is what I have so far:

Code:

Section "Device"
   Identifier   "Device[0]"
   Driver      "nvidia"
   BusID           "PCI:3:00:0"
   Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier      "Device[1]"
   Driver          "nvidia"
   BusID           "PCI:3:00:0"
   Screen 1
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier   "Monitor[0]"
   Option          "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier   "Monitor[1]"
   Option          "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier   "Screen[0]"
   Device      "Device[0]"
   Monitor      "Monitor[0]"
   DefaultDepth   24
   SubSection "Display"
      Viewport   0 0
      Depth      24
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier   "Screen[1]"
   Device      "Device[1]"
   Monitor      "Monitor[1]"
   DefaultDepth   24
   SubSection "Display"
      Viewport   0 0
      Depth      24
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier     "Default Layout"
   Screen      0  "Screen[0]"
   Screen      1  "Screen[1]" RightOf "Screen[0]"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
   Option "Xinerama" "true"
   Option "RandR" "on"
   Option "RandRRotation" "off"
EndSection

X starts up with that, works perfectly. Except that my old LCD is still the main screen. I can invert which monitor each screen section uses, that doesn't matter. I can switch which screen section the Screen lines under ServerLayout use, that doesn't matter. I can switch which devices they use, that doesn't matter. Yes, I can change all of these things and X starts up just the same and "works" just like it did before. As near as I can tell, Screen 0 under ServerLayout will always be the VGA port and Screen 1 will always be the DVI port, unless I use the VGA on said DVI port.

I don't use twinview because when I play a fullscreen game, it either spans it across both monitors or shuts one monitor off when setting it's video mode. All I want is for my taskbar in KDE to appear on the other monitor and for FS games to use that monitor, preferably without switching the new monitor back to VGA. Any help would be appreciated. :p

Last edited by Sevalecan on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
jormaa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Nvidias TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder worked for me when i had similar problem.

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce 6800 Ultra"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0,DFP-1"

Sevalecan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that didn't work. But I figured maybe that's because I wasn't using TwinView. So I finally decided to see if there were some docs for the nvidia drivers in /usr/share/doc and opened up the readme. I added this to the first device section in my xorg.conf:

Code:

Option      "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-0"

And viola! it works. My taskbar and everything is on my new LCD and whatnot, it identifies as screen 0. Save for one problem, when I start UT it still creates the 'window'(yes, even though the game is fullscreen) on the other monitor (I'm assuming because it's the monitor on the left).. And I'm not really sure what to do about that.. It doesn't sound like an X configuration problem to me, maybe UT's just too old to care about Xinerama? I don't know.. If I could figure that out I'd be set.
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never looked into doing this, as i've never had 2 monitors to plug into my card's sockets at the same time, but i'm wondering if you ought to have different BusID's for each 'Device'? If you look through /var/log/Xorg.0.log, you'll probably find that the VGA-socket is found at BusID PCI:3:00:0 and the DVI-socket at PCI:3:00:1 - see the difference? Dunno if that affects the setup, though - as i said, it's just a theory... :?
Sevalecan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they are both on the same graphics card with the same GPU. The reason I need to specify the BusID at all is to tell it that it's the same card as before. All this is mentioned in Chapter 15 of the nvidia-drivers' README.bz2 in /usr/share/doc/nvidia-drivers. And possibly somewhere in man xorg.conf as well. Anyway, the problem is solved for the most part. It's just that Unreal Tournament still spawns it's window at 0,0 when fullscreen, which is on the monitor to the left and not screen 0.. I think it's just because it's so old, but I haven't tried any other games or programs with it yet.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: