Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Samsung NC10 - what (not) works
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tolstoi
l33t
l33t


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 678

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got my NC10 for a week now and not yet finished fiddeling around with it.

-Sound works, the Fn keys for volume as well. Brightness control with Fn doesn't work at the moment. Kmix behaves strangely, it doesn't start up
at all.
- The webcam works but the microphone won't with Skype
- Fbsplash starts when nearly half of the boot process is over complaining there is no 8bpp 800x600 picture even though I've set it to 1024x600
- Didn't take care of the other things like Fn keys, etc.
- I use prelink for KDE which is a real boost for the desktop
- in KDE I disabled desktop effects for performance

I must say that being used to Nvidia drivers it's much easier setting things up than with this Intel 945GM. This agpart, dri and framebuffer stuff can be confusing if you have to choose several drivers for it.

Cheers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hrnick
Guru
Guru


Joined: 31 Aug 2002
Posts: 338

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havin_it wrote:
hrnick, not sure what you may need to do in your case, but both lid and buttons are exposed to KDE's power manager (PowerDevil) for me. I don't use acpid, just hal and dbus, and I haven't had to do any specific steps to make them work.

Thanks for your reply!

It seems like acpi finds the lid even though there's no event when I close the lid.
Code:
$ dmesg
...
[    0.368708] ACPI: AC Adapter [ADP1] (on-line)
[    0.374914] ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT1] (battery present)
[    0.375359] input: Power Button (FF) as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input0
[    0.379082] ACPI: Power Button (FF) [PWRF]
[    0.379385] input: Lid Switch as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0C0D:00/input/input1
[    0.379579] ACPI: Lid Switch [LID0]
[    0.379835] input: Power Button (CM) as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0C0C:00/input/input2
[    0.383084] ACPI: Power Button (CM) [PWRB]
[    0.383337] input: Sleep Button (CM) as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0C0E:00/input/input3
[    0.387074] ACPI: Sleep Button (CM) [SLPB]
[    0.387557] fan PNP0C0B:00: registered as cooling_device0
[    0.387645] ACPI: Fan [FAN0] (off)
[    0.388772] ACPI: SSDT 3F6DC5EE, 0245 (r2  PmRef  Cpu0Ist     3000 INTL 20050624)
[    0.389659] ACPI: SSDT 3F6DBEC4, 06A5 (r2  PmRef  Cpu0Cst     3001 INTL 20050624)
[    0.390874] Monitor-Mwait will be used to enter C-1 state
[    0.391097] processor ACPI_CPU:00: registered as cooling_device1
[    0.391191] ACPI: Processor [CPU0] (supports 8 throttling states)
[    0.392173] ACPI: SSDT 3F6DC833, 00D4 (r2  PmRef  Cpu1Ist     3000 INTL 20050624)
[    0.393002] ACPI: SSDT 3F6DC569, 0085 (r2  PmRef  Cpu1Cst     3000 INTL 20050624)
[    0.394442] processor ACPI_CPU:01: registered as cooling_device2
[    0.394538] ACPI: Processor [CPU1] (supports 8 throttling states)
[    0.399898] thermal LNXTHERM:01: registered as thermal_zone0
[    0.400639] ACPI: Thermal Zone [TZ00] (46 C)


Any ideas?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hrnick
Guru
Guru


Joined: 31 Aug 2002
Posts: 338

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind, I was just to quick, it took like 10 seconds for the event to be generated and I didn't wait that long. :oops:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 1174
Location: Edinburgh, UK

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tolstoi wrote:
I've got my NC10 for a week now and not yet finished fiddeling around with it.

-Sound works, the Fn keys for volume as well. Brightness control with Fn doesn't work at the moment. Kmix behaves strangely, it doesn't start up
at all.
- The webcam works but the microphone won't with Skype
- Fbsplash starts when nearly half of the boot process is over complaining there is no 8bpp 800x600 picture even though I've set it to 1024x600
- Didn't take care of the other things like Fn keys, etc.
- I use prelink for KDE which is a real boost for the desktop
- in KDE I disabled desktop effects for performance

I must say that being used to Nvidia drivers it's much easier setting things up than with this Intel 945GM. This agpart, dri and framebuffer stuff can be confusing if you have to choose several drivers for it.

Cheers


I can help with one of those points, the microphone:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=519683#p519683

The post that worked for me should be what I've linked to there, but if not, it's about halfway down the page. Enjoy ;)

As for kmix, it may help to run alsaconf (as root) from the shell if you haven't done so.

I don't have brightness keys sorted either, but if you use PowerDevil you should be able to use the slider on the applet (accessed by clicking on the battery meter icon) to control it, which is better then nothing. However, when PowerDevil changes the brightness automatically (i.e. when the battery drops making it switch to a different scheme, or when the 'book sits idle for a while) it "forgets" you notice that the slider doesn't move when the brightness changes. I keep meaning to see about bugreporting these issues, but kinda busy just now ;)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tolstoi
l33t
l33t


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 678

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, the mic works now!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 1174
Location: Edinburgh, UK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tolstoi wrote:
Thanks, the mic works now!


You're most welcome ;) I was very pleased myself when I found it!

However, personally I'm finding the ath5k driver getting worse and worse signal drop-outs with each new kernel. Anyone else finding this? (I'm using WPA-PSK)

In good news, I notice that USE="bluetooth" is no longer masked for kde-base/solid now that bluez-4 has been released. So although we're not there yet, kde4 users are edging closer to having bluetooth usability back.

On that note, has anybody tried using blueman in the meantime? I'm intrigued, but have little appetite for another wild-goose-chase...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yoghi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 07 Mar 2004
Posts: 120
Location: Bologna - italy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Keyboard Reply with quote

I have a problem with key actived by ALT GR (RALT). Into login shell the key function well but under X / Openbox i can't use #@ etc etc.
My xorg config are
XkbRule xorg
XkbModel pc105
XkbLayout it
Xkb_Variant nodeadkeys

-edit- found solution :

Options "XkbOptions" "grb,grb:alts_toggle,lv3:ralt_switch"

For wifi problem i have use compat-wireless with Tobias Doerffel patch , now i can on/off it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 25 Apr 2005
Posts: 13047
Location: Ste-Foy,Canada

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the old method to configure your Xorg ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hrnick
Guru
Guru


Joined: 31 Aug 2002
Posts: 338

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone got lm_sensors working?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yoghi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 07 Mar 2004
Posts: 120
Location: Bologna - italy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
Are you using the old method to configure your Xorg ?


I try to use hal, but :
* the keyboard wasn't correctly identified (pc105 - en);
* synaptic works.

I have add the input device keyword to xorg.conf, now works all input device.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tolstoi
l33t
l33t


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 678

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havin_it wrote:


Could the UXA code have actually screwed up the whole PCI bus in some way? Is anyone else already running UXA and/or KMS enabled on the NC10, if so have you had any similar experiences?


Well I have exa in my xorg.conf enabled. But uxa didn't do anything as I had it enabled before.Fiddling with the different modes in the kernel is confusing for this i
Intel card.

xorg.conf:
Code:

   Identifier  "i945gm"
    Driver      "intel"
   Option "DRI" "true"
   Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
   Option "AccelMethod" "exa"
   Option "PageFlip" "true"
   Option "XvMC" "true"
   Option "XVideo" "true"
   Option "XvPreferOverlay" "true"
   Option "LVDSFixedMode" "true"
   Option "Tiling"        "False"
    EndSection


In the kernel I set agp, and the Intel driver for agp to yes. Same with dri and the 915 driver. No modules and no intelfb. That worked in the end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 25 Apr 2005
Posts: 13047
Location: Ste-Foy,Canada

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoghi wrote:
[
I try to use hal, but :
* the keyboard wasn't correctly identified (pc105 - en);
* synaptic works.

I have add the input device keyword to xorg.conf, now works all input device.


Did you read this thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-722498.html

What keyboard layout do you want to use ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 1174
Location: Edinburgh, UK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tolstoi wrote:
Havin_it wrote:


Could the UXA code have actually screwed up the whole PCI bus in some way? Is anyone else already running UXA and/or KMS enabled on the NC10, if so have you had any similar experiences?


Well I have exa in my xorg.conf enabled. But uxa didn't do anything as I had it enabled before.Fiddling with the different modes in the kernel is confusing for this i
Intel card.

xorg.conf:
Code:

   Identifier  "i945gm"
    Driver      "intel"
   Option "DRI" "true"
   Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
   Option "AccelMethod" "exa"
   Option "PageFlip" "true"
   Option "XvMC" "true"
   Option "XVideo" "true"
   Option "XvPreferOverlay" "true"
   Option "LVDSFixedMode" "true"
   Option "Tiling"        "False"
    EndSection


In the kernel I set agp, and the Intel driver for agp to yes. Same with dri and the 915 driver. No modules and no intelfb. That worked in the end.


Just wondering, where do you find information about xorg.conf options to use with intel? I've only ever gained this info from forum posts, and often I doubt the reliability of this (er, no offence!). Is there an authoritative reference anywhere?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tolstoi
l33t
l33t


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 678

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm in the same situation as you are. Gathered from forum posts and other sources on the internet. I throw the things out that don't work and leave the things that do. I started off with a different one which produced errors or the log told me that the options were not used so I left them out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 1174
Location: Edinburgh, UK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAAAARGH!!!

Chalk another one up to the usual Gentoo emotional merry-go-round. I finally got my bluetooth working (courtesy of gnetoo-sources-2.6.30 which fixed the horrendous crashes I mentioned earlier, and blueman which I can recommend to anyone fed up waiting for kdebluetooth-4) and was feelin' good. Then I try to do a video call with Skype, and the webcam -- which as I mentioned worked beautifully last time I checked -- is dead.

This s**t is embarrassing. What the hell did it this time? Please, if anyone has their webcam still working, can you PM me your kernel config? I don't think anything should have changed, but I could be wrong.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tolstoi
l33t
l33t


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 678

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, just read your post and tested the cam with Skype. Doesn't work here anymore either. Just updated to 2.6.30 and using UVC as I did with the kernel before. The cam works with VLC and Kopete.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 1174
Location: Edinburgh, UK

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the further info. I've filed a bug about it, which I'll probably get hung out to dry for if it's only a closed-source app that has problems with it :(

Oh well, nice to know I can use the older kernel if I really need the webcam.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 1174
Location: Edinburgh, UK

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I keep forgetting to post this other titbit. If any of you are finding the wifi performance rubbish with ath5k, try instead madwifi-hal, using the ebuilds from this bugreport. I find it much more reliable and better average speed is achieved with this driver.

Note that the madwifi-tools-hal-ng ebuild causes some problems if you are building wpa_supplicant with USE=madwifi because that depends on the normal madwifi-ng-tools ebuild (which collides with the -hal version) but you can just use emerge --resume --skipfirst after madwifi-tools-ng fails, wpa_supplicant will build fine against the -hal version. Or you could hack the wpa_supplicant ebuild.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tolstoi
l33t
l33t


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 678

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cam problem must have to something to do with the .30 kernel. I've tried a few .29 and .30 kernels always with the same result: works with .29 and doesn't with .30.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 1174
Location: Edinburgh, UK

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tolstoi wrote:
The cam problem must have to something to do with the .30 kernel. I've tried a few .29 and .30 kernels always with the same result: works with .29 and doesn't with .30.


Yep, it's a 2.6.30 regression - see my post above for the bugreport.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tolstoi
l33t
l33t


Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 678

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything new regarding 2.6.30 and the webcam?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 1174
Location: Edinburgh, UK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything's happening, the bugreport will be the place to look. But no, not a lot so far: 1 question has been asked, and I've answered.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
__wix__
n00b
n00b


Joined: 04 Jul 2009
Posts: 17
Location: Toulouse, France

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tolstoi wrote:
I've got my NC10 for a week now and not yet finished fiddeling around with it.

-Sound works, the Fn keys for volume as well. Brightness control with Fn doesn't work at the moment. Kmix behaves strangely, it doesn't start up
at all.
- The webcam works but the microphone won't with Skype
- Fbsplash starts when nearly half of the boot process is over complaining there is no 8bpp 800x600 picture even though I've set it to 1024x600
- Didn't take care of the other things like Fn keys, etc.
- I use prelink for KDE which is a real boost for the desktop
- in KDE I disabled desktop effects for performance

I must say that being used to Nvidia drivers it's much easier setting things up than with this Intel 945GM. This agpart, dri and framebuffer stuff can be confusing if you have to choose several drivers for it.

Cheers


Hi,

I just bought an NC10 and I am trying to put a Gentoo Linux on it. It was a real success for the basic stuff (the tutorial is excellent) but when it comes to install Xorg it is a drastic failure ! I have tried all I can do (including searching similar problems on the net) but I'm out of idea.

I defined VIDEO_CARDS = "intel vesa vga" in /etc/make.conf
I emerged xorg-server and xf86-intel-driver (but in the past I tried ati-drivers par error. I unemerge but I'm not sure it is really out of my system).
I launched Xorg -configure
And then using this config file with X turn the screen to blacka hard freez

I think I comes from the drivers but I don't even know how to check which driver is active.
I am quite new with linux (at least on my own PC) so I may forgot stupid thing.

In /var/db/pkg/x11-drivers I found a lot of drivers that don't match my hardware (xf86-video-voodoo for instance). If I understood how portage is working this is referencing installed packages so there are undesired drivers. I don't know if they are loaded at boot time because I don't know where theses informations are

Could you help ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 1174
Location: Edinburgh, UK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

__wix__ wrote:

Hi,

Hi __wix__ and welcome to Gentoo :D
Quote:

I just bought an NC10 and I am trying to put a Gentoo Linux on it. It was a real success for the basic stuff (the tutorial is excellent) but when it comes to install Xorg it is a drastic failure ! I have tried all I can do (including searching similar problems on the net) but I'm out of idea.
I defined VIDEO_CARDS = "intel vesa vga" in /etc/make.conf
I emerged xorg-server and xf86-intel-driver (but in the past I tried ati-drivers par error. I unemerge but I'm not sure it is really out of my system).
I launched Xorg -configure
And then using this config file with X turn the screen to blacka hard freez

This might be because kernel config is not right, rather than xorg config (though it could be both). If you are running ~arch and are going to use the new kernel modesetting code (and it works well for me) you need to make sure that "i915 driver -> Use kernel modesetting by default" is selected, and that *all* framebuffer drivers (including intelfb) are disabled. Just ask if you need any more guidance about doing this. Also, modesetting has only worked well for me since gentoo-sources-2.6.30, so make sure your kernel (whether gentoo-sources or other) is at that version or above.

As for xorg itself, to have it work with modesetting you need to unmask a higher version, so do this:
Code:
echo "=x11-base/xorg-server-1.6.1.901-r4" >> /etc/portage/package.unmask


Quote:

I think I comes from the drivers but I don't even know how to check which driver is active.
I am quite new with linux (at least on my own PC) so I may forgot stupid thing.

In /var/db/pkg/x11-drivers I found a lot of drivers that don't match my hardware (xf86-video-voodoo for instance). If I understood how portage is working this is referencing installed packages so there are undesired drivers. I don't know if they are loaded at boot time because I don't know where theses informations are

Could you help ?


Even if you have other xorg graphics drivers installed, X shouldn't load them unless it finds the right hardware (and it will only load one graphics driver anyway). However you can check what drivers you have installed with these commands:

Code:
emerge portage-utils
qlist -I -C x11-drivers/


If there are any unneeded drivers there, you might want to check whether some other package has pulled them in as a dependency before you unmerge them. For that, do:
Code:
emerge gentoolkit
equery depends xf86-video-voodoo [for example]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
__wix__
n00b
n00b


Joined: 04 Jul 2009
Posts: 17
Location: Toulouse, France

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot,

you gave me a huge amount of info I'll need time to look at everything, I'll give a feedback as soon as I finish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum