View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Cosby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cs02rm0 wrote:
Bill Cosby wrote:

Code:
<item ..><action ..><execute>/opt/matlab7/bin/matlab</eceute>...

Firstly, you're missing an x there - I presume that's just a typo here. Also, when I create a matlab icon on my gnome-panel I point it at /usr/local/matlab7/bin/matlab - but it won't run unless I check the box for "run in terminal" which opens up a terminal first, which obviously isn't very pretty.

I presume it's related, even if it doesn't help.

Well it works, but as you said it isn't pretty :), but at least it works.
Thanks.
plbe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you guys are looking for a place to put all your scripts we have a scripts section up at boxwhore.org :wink:
tchak
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Juste switched from FVWM to openbox ( no flame but with rasterman's wm_torture I have 2W/S with FVWM and with openbox I get 200W/S )
My problem is that I use it in Gnome session. Then i click "exit" in openbox menu it exit openbox not gnome session... It still here. Hade same problem with FVWM, but FVWM hade QuitSession ACTION. Openbox seems have only Exit :(
Help plese!
motub
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this just bit me too... Do you have a panel? There's not a whole lot of point in running GNOME without one, so I'll assume you do.

Basically, the deal is that you seem to need to log out from GNOME, not OB (because you're not running OB, you're running GNOME). GNOME has about a billion ways to logout, but they all need the panel (unless you happen to know if there's a keybinding set, and if so, what it is, which I don't know):

From the menu panel (the top one that says Applications Locations Actions; it's an Action);

From the main menu (if you don't have the menu panel, but put the little foot icon on the bottom panel);

You can add a specific "logout" button to the panel (GNOME 2.10, don't remember if 2.8.x had this).

So you pretty much just have to retrain yourself not to try to logout of OB from the OB menu, or-- if GNOME's logout has some kind of command, you could add that to the OB menu. But since OB is just replacing Metacity, and not acting as the full-fledged session owner, it's the price you must pay.

In a pinch, I suppose you could just killall gnome-session :roll: or even ctrl-alt-backspace....
Hope this helps.
tchak
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol
precisely I do *not* have a panel :)
I understnd well all you say and what I am looking for is exactli this magik command for log out from gnome i could add to openbox menu :)
some one?
motub
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.... now that I think about it, there is kind of a workaround.

The thing is, apparently logging out of GNOME is a process, not a command or application. I did a Google Linux search for 'gnome logout command', and all the hits discussed the panel object. I then looked at my own panel object, and you can't actually look at the target (there's no Property sheet). I then went to gconf-editor, and again, no leads or even a hint of one. GNOME wants you to start the logout process from a GNOME object, and that would seem to be the end of it....

... but then I remembered seeing this on the OB documentation page:

Quote:
Note: As of GNOME 2.4, gnome-panel no longer manages its own key bindings, and requires that the window manager provide its own key bindings for showing the Main Menu and Run dialog. Openbox does this through the bundled gnome-panel-control tool, which can be used in keybindings to access the gnome-panel. Use the --main-menu option to display gnome-panel's menu, and the --run-dialog to display its Run dialog.

So the best you may be able to do is to bind the GNOME main menu key to a keybinding, and then choose Logout from there. At least it avoids starting a panel. Or you could write to the Openbox mailing list and see if maybe Mikael can add a 'logout' switch to the gnome-panel-control tool.

HTH.
Arainach
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact still remains - if you don't have a panel, why are you wasting your resources on GNOME? Just use plain Openbox.
tchak
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

motub: Thanks, I will fink about all this :) (for the moment added transparent panel with logout button :) )

Arainach: Because I like gnome-session manament (with shutdown/reboot/logout box), because I prefer use gnome-settings-daemon + gconfd and not edit 100 text files, because I realy love nautilus. But still I think about get rid of somme parts of gnome. Maibe one day ... :)
quellthrix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered creating another thread, but there's plenty. This seemed to fit here. :)

I'm fiddling around with Openbox at the moment, after straying away from FVWM after facing the fact that I'm just not intelligent enough to configure it the way I want...

Right now my biggest problem is the pager. I'm trying netwmpager, but I can't get it's transparency to work. Any I ideas? Yes, I'm running xcompmgr.

I've also tried to emerge obpager, but it fails to compile. Tried adding #include <sys/errno.h> to the main.cc, didn't help.

Thanks for any assistance. :)
gbhil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[shameless plug]
http://ob3menuizer.berlios.de
[/shameless plug]

A little project I've worked up for Openbox3.
Download, untar, edit installer.sh with your /bin path and /man path, run installer.sh as root.

Automakes a nice menu, including commands to edit make.conf, package.keywords, lilo.conf, etc, etc. Backs up current menu automatically
Editable scripts for a default cli-editor, x-editor, x-terminal

Requires:
Openbox3
app-admin/sudo
nano
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: