Install out of space?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Subi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Install out of space? Reply with quote

This may be one of those "DOH!" moments, but I'm really confused here.

I've successfully installed Gentoo, and got X working on a second PC I have here (actually, just a spare populated motherboard :) ), using a normal 160GB drive. However, what I want to do is get something similar onto a 2GB card and stick it in an arcade cab in my front room (this is a little personal project of mine).

Now, the final install ends up about 1.3 GB, and the root partition is easily 1.5GB, if not larger. What's confusing me is that when I start following the install instructions in the handbook, the expansion of the Portage snapshop fails due to lack of space. Testing on my main box, an uncomped stage3 and Portage, plus the original tarballs, takes up no more than 800MB. What's more, it still fails if I up the card to a 4GB one! :)

I'm assuming tar's using a lot of temporary space, but I have to admit I didn't think it'd be that much. :)

I'd like to be able to copy what I have on the HD over onto the card, but the PC only has one IDE socket, and the card doesn't like sharing it. So it looks like I'll have to stick both of them in another PC and do it that way. Unless anyone's got any other suggestions, or can tell me where I'm being an idiot?

Like I said, this is a personal project, so I'd rather not use anything off-the-shelf like Slax.

Thanks!
p-hi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problem might be not having enough inodes. You will need to reformat your partition. For ext3, use -b 1024 -i 1024 or smaller.
gentoo-dev
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned above, you ran out of inodes. You have to reformat.
BTW, you might want in install in a chroot on your main PC where you can also update packages later on and rsync from there to your CF
Subi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, it was the inodes. Compiling kernel now! :)

Quote:
you might want in install in a chroot on your main PC where you can also update packages later on and rsync from there to your CF

Sounds good. Can you give me that in small words, or point me to a tutorial? (recent convert here ;) )

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: