Scrap archos, any ideas?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRStoneOK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Scrap archos, any ideas? Reply with quote

I recently broke the screen on my Archos 404 with camera http://reviews.cnet.com/portable-video-players-pvps/archos-404-30gb/4507-6499_7-32028044.html, and although I'm not huge into the hardware sector of computing, I would love to do something cool with it.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any cool idears I could attempt to implement with this once cool gadget :)
Please post even general ideas, I really want to work out something cool.

Happy hacking
:o

P.S.
I posted this in off the wall, but that's not the place where anyones likely to seriously discuss anything these days, so if the almighty moderators decide this doesn't belong here I understand
mgrela
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, what you mean. Do you want to modify the firmware ? Fix the display ? Port linux on it ? In either case there is some hardware hacking ahead of you. First disassemble the device and try to identify all chips on the mainboard together with finding datasheets for them. Then you can have a grasp what the hardware is really capable of and if it can be hacked at all.
MRStoneOK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good call, I should have been more detailed.

In other words, I have really no idea of exactly what I want to do. I was thinking anything really, i.e. porting linux if AT ALL possible (which I had the feeling would be "tarded hard") or making it some sort of bizarre appliance, or anything.

Basically, I want to know what members of this forum would do with it if it was theirs and they had it lying around.

: )
A Hired Goon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a quick google of "archos linux" shows there is a site http://www.archopen.org/tiki-index.php. Best place to start.

Screenless functionality may be a problem. Couple ideas (bearing in mind Im not sure of its capabilities):

Headless music player: Plug it in to an amp and play. You may need to find a menu layout to help guide you around without the screen.
As above: If it has net connectivity and some remote control (ssh, vnc, remote commands) it would make the jukebox idea alot easier/versitile.
external drive: as stated.
security cam: depending on batery life and how pictures are taken (external button or via menus) could be a cool portable surveillance device (attach to a wall, wire a laser trip beam to snap photo).

AHG
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: