It's dead, Jim -- advice on a new system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcmorris
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: It's dead, Jim -- advice on a new system Reply with quote

Hey guys! I went to compile kde 3.1.3 on my 8-month-old trusty Athlon 2200, and lo and behold, I got a strange, disturbing message from gcc:
fp exception.

Okay, after this, nothing compiled, I got kernel panics, and I came to the conclusion that my dear Athlon was fried. Now, my dad will no longer let me buy another althon (I mean we spent $750 on this thing). So, I was checking my P4 alternatives. I'm thinking of an ASUS 865EP mobo, a couple sticks of Corsair DDR 400 (for dual-channel goodness), and a P4 2.4 w/ HT and 800 MHz FSB. I've got a seemingly functional Antec 300W PS to power this thing. Now, my question is this: is this good hardware I've selected, and does the agpgart driver in recent kernels support this chipset? Thanks!

jcm
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have equipment advice. But I am curious about your situation. Are you 100% sure that the system is dead? Does it still post? Are you able to boot from anything?

I am curious as I have been having problems with gcc lately and my system has decided not to compile much at all. I was able to succefully install Mandrake today but could not get a running Gentoo install. gcc caused problems each time.

What brand of Motherboard are you using? PM me if you want.

Cat
jcmorris
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that it is dead. I'll get a kernel panic within 1-2 minutes after starting anything involving heavy CPU work (not just gcc, but any program). I made no physical alterations to it, I restored the BIOS to fail-safe settings, I even changed power supplies to see if that was the issue. The BIOS was also set to shut down the system if it hit 60 degrees C, and I never had it shut down. I'm running a SOYO KT333 DRAGON and an Athlon 2200 with Corsair CMX RAM (DDR 333). Thanks for your help.
jcm
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcmorris wrote:
I'm pretty sure that it is dead. I'll get a kernel panic within 1-2 minutes after starting anything involving heavy CPU work (not just gcc, but any program). I made no physical alterations to it, I restored the BIOS to fail-safe settings, I even changed power supplies to see if that was the issue. The BIOS was also set to shut down the system if it hit 60 degrees C, and I never had it shut down. I'm running a SOYO KT333 DRAGON and an Athlon 2200 with Corsair CMX RAM (DDR 333). Thanks for your help.
jcm

Have you run a memtest86? I would definitly see what happens if you increase the cooling on your processor. This does not sound like the chip is dead to me.

Puggy
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the proc was really dead your system wouldn't even POST. It does sound like some of your RAM might have given up on you, so memtest'ing it is a good idea.
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running athlon's for a couple of years now with no problems, but if it turns out the processor did die and it is only 8 months old surely it would be under warranty. Even if it isn't you can pick up a box cpu (I just upgraded my 1500 to 2400 for $100) pretty cheap and they come with a three year warranty.
jcmorris
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, guys, I didn't mean dead per se, I just think I got a hold of a fluke from the factory that is no up-to-spec. The chip has never been overclocked, and it has MORE than sufficient cooling (nice big copper-based heatsink, plenty of ventilation, 3 case fans). I haven't had a problem running memtest86, either.
jcm
pmjdebruijn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the cpu fan is clogged with dust or something...

Also a faulty power supply can introduce system failure!

Bye,
DrZ
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcmorris wrote:
Well, guys, I didn't mean dead per se, I just think I got a hold of a fluke from the factory that is no up-to-spec. The chip has never been overclocked, and it has MORE than sufficient cooling (nice big copper-based heatsink, plenty of ventilation, 3 case fans). I haven't had a problem running memtest86, either.
jcm

On that kind of procesor even the slightest movement of the heatsink could cause it to not contact the core properly and overheat. Check your heatsink.

If you only get crashes when your CPU is under heavy load it's almost certainly not a bad processor.

Puggy
jcmorris
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heatsink is indeed a tight fit and in total contact with the processor. I even tried setting the FSB to 100MHz (so it would run cooler) and the problem persisted.
jcm
pmjdebruijn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a while back I had sdram pc100 in my athlon 2200 box... and when I change to pc2100 ddr (266mhz), my cpu wouldn't get significantly hotter...

So decreasing FSB doesn't affect the CPU's temperature, at least not much...

I think to decrease temperature you need to asjust your voltages...

Though, I would need to check to be sure...

Bye,
DrZ
jcmorris
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:57 am    Post subject: FIXED!!! Reply with quote

Hey guys, though I ordered a brand-spanking new P4 I didn't want, I just now reflashed the BIOS to a previous version. All is fixed :) I got a good laugh outta that. Thanks for your help.

jcm -- the boy who cryed wolf
FormerSlacker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: FIXED!!! Reply with quote

jcmorris wrote:
Hey guys, though I ordered a brand-spanking new P4 I didn't want, I just now reflashed the BIOS to a previous version. All is fixed :) I got a good laugh outta that. Thanks for your help.

jcm -- the boy who cryed wolf

You don't want it? I'll gladly take it off your hands. I will even cover the cost of shipping, being the nice guy that I am!

:lol: :wink:
jcmorris
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you are so generous!!!

jcm
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: