Man, am I glad I had a backup!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sundialsvc4
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Man, am I glad I had a backup! Reply with quote

It was "time for wintertime spring-cleaning" on my box, so I ran a full update, then "emerge depclean" (which got rid of a lot of cruft but not as much as I expected), and "revdep-rebuild" (which updated less than I'd thought).

Somewhere in step #2, all of the old Linux kernel-sources got removed, leaving only the binaries. Sure, the system would continue to run without them, but I didn't intend to lose them.

Fortunately... I have a USB/Firewire-capable external disk drive (which I connect to my very-old laptop using the Firewire-port that was designed for use with digital cameras...) and every single thing is backed-up to it (or to its identical, alternating twin...) by a rather-massive overnight rsync. Therefore, accurately recovering from the problem was "a snap."

This really reinforces the point to me that, while what I did definitely made the system more reliable and got rid of some "occasional hiccups" that were just frequent enough to have become really annoying ... "you gotta plan ahead to have an 'out.'"

I really learned this first-hand when one of the disk drives on a computer just ... up-n-died. Turned on the computer one morning and ... zilch. No warning, just an ominous clicking sound. The backup drives are organized exactly like the ones they replace, and it was literally just a "drop-in replacement." Yank one out of its portable enclosure, drop it into the computer, turn the computer on. Downtime: less than 10 minutes.
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming to Gentoo Chat.
Not a support question, so moved here.
FallenWizard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Man, am I glad I had a backup! Reply with quote

sundialsvc4 wrote:
It was "time for wintertime spring-cleaning" on my box, so I ran a full update, then "emerge depclean" (which got rid of a lot of cruft but not as much as I expected), and "revdep-rebuild" (which updated less than I'd thought).

Somewhere in step #2, all of the old Linux kernel-sources got removed, leaving only the binaries. Sure, the system would continue to run without them, but I didn't intend to lose them.

Fortunately... I have a USB/Firewire-capable external disk drive (which I connect to my very-old laptop using the Firewire-port that was designed for use with digital cameras...) and every single thing is backed-up to it (or to its identical, alternating twin...) by a rather-massive overnight rsync. Therefore, accurately recovering from the problem was "a snap."

This really reinforces the point to me that, while what I did definitely made the system more reliable and got rid of some "occasional hiccups" that were just frequent enough to have become really annoying ... "you gotta plan ahead to have an 'out.'"

I really learned this first-hand when one of the disk drives on a computer just ... up-n-died. Turned on the computer one morning and ... zilch. No warning, just an ominous clicking sound. The backup drives are organized exactly like the ones they replace, and it was literally just a "drop-in replacement." Yank one out of its portable enclosure, drop it into the computer, turn the computer on. Downtime: less than 10 minutes.

That's why I am always using --ask ...

Last edited by FallenWizard on Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
notHerbert
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I like rsync backups - almost no downtime if, God forbid, something unfortunate were to happen. :D
overkll
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notHerbert wrote:
That's why I like rsync backups...

Ditto. I have mine setup so I can boot directly from the backup as well. Handy when uptime is important.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: