Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spock_
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuSEQ wrote:
I'm having trouble patching the gentoo-dev-2.6.7-rc6 sources; the previous patch patched OK, but it didn't work like it should.

You can use this patch if you want to try vesafb-tng on gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.7-r6.
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I'm running a slightly modified version of the 2.6.7-ck2 kernel. It comes with the bootsplash patch, and I was using vesafb-rrc with it. However, with your latest patch, I decided to switch to tng, and it works great except that bootsplash no longer works.

To apply the tng patch (after I unpatched rrc), I had to temporarily modify drivers/video/vesafb.c, changing

Code:
#ifndef CONFIG_BOOTSPLASH
static
#endif
struct fb_ops vesafb_ops {

to
Code:
static struct fb_ops vesafb_ops {

Then the patch applied without failure and I modified it back. Could I have screwed up here? Just eliminating the check for CONFIG_BOOTSPLASH fails, of course.

Do I need a bootsplash patch newer than 3.1.4? I noticed there's a newer one that runs on any framebuffer (which will be useful once switching between rivafb and X doesn't lock my machine. :) Good work).

I noticed that /proc/splash is gone, if that helps any. I've triple checked my kernel config, compiling and rebooting in between. I've reinstalled bootsplash. But now I'm stuck.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Cicero
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was coming to post the same thing as Dolio. I have the "white rectangle problem" and no bootsplash. I noticed that there's another version of bootsplash that's modified by you. Should I try that, or is the lack of bootsplash related to the fbcon problem?

Another thing, it takes quite a while from the time that grub starts booting the kernel to the time that it actually switches modes, whereas with the previous patch, it switched modes immediately (but the bootsplash didn't come up for a while). Is that just a side effect of something or what? It wouldn't be as much of a problem if 2.6 didn't have so much trouble starting to boot...
spock_
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolio wrote:
Do I need a bootsplash patch newer than 3.1.4? I noticed there's a newer one that runs on any framebuffer (which will be useful once switching between rivafb and X doesn't lock my machine. :) Good work).

First of all, if you have a bootsplash-patched kernel, you can apply the vesafb-tng patch for gentoo-dev-sources.

You don't really need any specific version of bootsplash to get it working with vesafb-tng. With non-gentoo bootsplash patches it's necessary to make sure that the mode one is running has a depth of 16bpp (for example: 1024x768-16@85). With the bootsplash patch from Gentoo
it's possible to get it working in 24bpp and 32bpp modes, too.

Dolio wrote:
I noticed that /proc/splash is gone, if that helps any. I've triple checked my kernel config, compiling and rebooting in between. I've reinstalled bootsplash. But now I'm stuck.

Do you run a 16bpp mode? If yes, please post /proc/cmdline and output of `fbset`.
spock_
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cicero wrote:
I was coming to post the same thing as Dolio. I have the "white rectangle problem" and no bootsplash. I noticed that there's another version of bootsplash that's modified by you. Should I try that, or is the lack of bootsplash related to the fbcon problem?

The white rectangle problem has nothing to do bootsplash. It might be a good idea to try the modified bootsplash, because it works with more modes.

Cicero wrote:
Another thing, it takes quite a while from the time that grub starts booting the kernel to the time that it actually switches modes, whereas with the previous patch, it switched modes immediately (but the bootsplash didn't come up for a while). Is that just a side effect of something or what? It wouldn't be as much of a problem if 2.6 didn't have so much trouble starting to boot...

With the standard vesafb (patched with -rrc, or not), the mode switch happends before the kernel is actually loaded - ie. in the very first steps of the boot-up process. With vesafb-tng this has been changed and the fb driver is initialised like any other (try radeonfb or rivafb for comparison :)).
You can't exactly call this a side effect - because this is how all fb drivers behave. It's only vesafb that was a little different and that's why the time of the mode switch might seem a little strange now.
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I was running in 16 bpp mode, but it appears I'm not...

/proc/cmdline:
Quote:
root=/dev/hde6 video=vesa:1280x1024-16@85,ywrap,mtrr splash=silent

fbset:
Quote:
mode "1280x1024-85"
# D: 157.505 MHz, H: 91.149 kHz, V: 85.027 Hz
geometry 1280 1024 1280 1024 8
timings 6349 224 64 44 1 160 3
hsync high
vsync high
rgba 6/0,6/0,6/0,0/0
endmode

So it looks like it's running in 8 bpp?

I'm not at home right now, so I can't make changes. Later I'll reverse my semi-hand-applied patch and try out the patch for gentoo-dev-sources and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for your help.
spock_
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolio wrote:
So it looks like it's running in 8 bpp?

Check your /proc/fb0/modes for 1280x1024-16. It's possible that your VBE only supports 1280x1024 with 8bpp depth, in which case setting a 8bpp mode is expected behaviour.
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, 1280x1024-16 is in there.

And I've been using 1280x1024-16@85 on vesafb-rrc for a while now.
SuSEQ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to boot the kernel with the rc2 patch, but it halted right after the VBE3.0 line...

Gr, SuSEQ
Cicero
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I was running in 32bpp mode. I assume the gentoo bootsplash patch you are referring to is

/usr/share/bootsplash/bootsplash-3.1.4-sp-2.6.7.patch.bz2 :?:

I'll give it a try and see if it works with 32bpp mode.

[edit: working now. Great patch, as usual :) ]

Last edited by Cicero on Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: I reversed the plain fbtng patch, and applied the gentoo-dev patch.

However, it doesn't work for me. I get the same error as when I first patched it myself:

Quote:
drivers/built-in.o(.text+0xa8b06): In function `splash_getraw':
: undefined reference to `vesafb_ops'

My C keywords are a little rusty, but the cause of this is that vesafb_ops is declared static, like so:

Code:
static struct fb_ops vesafb_ops

Rather than depending on whether bootsplash support is compiled in:

Code:
#ifndef CONFIG_BOOTSPLASH
static
#endif
struct fb_ops vesafb_ops

So apparently in my bootsplash patch (3.1.4 from ck2 sources) vesafb_ops needs to be visible outside vesafb.c (not totally surprising considering the two are tied together), but it isn't.

I assume the fix to this is the framebuffer-independant bootsplash patch, which I'll try presently.
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No luck.

The 3.1.4-sp1 bootsplash patch compiles with the latest tng patch. But I still get 8 bpp at bootup.

I can use fbset to reset my framebuffer to 1280x1024-16@85 after I boot in, and bootsplash will work then. But during the boot process, it goes into 1280x1024-8@85 and bootsplash doesn't work.
spock_
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolio wrote:
I can use fbset to reset my framebuffer to 1280x1024-16@85 after I boot in, and bootsplash will work then. But during the boot process, it goes into 1280x1024-8@85 and bootsplash doesn't work.

Please try changing 'vesa:' to 'vesafb:' on your kernel parameter line. If this doesn't work, pm me with the contents of /proc/fb0/vbe_info, /proc/fb0/modes and `dmesg` output.
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not there to see the console right now, but that appears to have made it boot into 16 bpp mode.

Apparently the problem is that I just can't read. :) I apologize.
MoreCoffeePlease
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Ummmmm... Not for the first time, and I'm sure not for the last either, I'm a bit confused.

To date I've got a working bootsplash and fancy consoles on a 2.4.25 kernel that are currently at the dreaded 60hz at 1024x768, with nvidia-kernel working great when 'startx'ing running at 1024x768 at 85hz.

The relevant bits (I think) of my current lilo.conf are..

vga=791

append"video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr"

Whoo-hoo. So far. :P

But the dreaded 60hz for the console.....

Questions:

A) Do I need to install the vesafb-tng patch to fix this, or can I alter my lilo.conf and also use the current nvidia-kernel settings for the console?

B) Will the patch work on a 2.4.25 kernel? The link only mentions 2.6 kernels.

C) If I do patch, after I rebulid the new kernel, I also need to re-emerge the nvidia-kernel, right?

Thanks for any help to clear this up.....
SuSEQ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nvidia-kernal is for X-windows support, not for console... You'll have to use this patch, or the older one by the same author.

The older version (not vesafb-tng) ought to work on your 2.4 kernel, but I do think this one will, too.

Yes, you need to re-emerge nvidia-kernel.

Gr, SuSEQ
MoreCoffeePlease
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm.

I think I broke something!

I tried the latest patch, and it gave me lots of patching errors, so I (hopefully) reversed it out, and applied the rrc patch.

Now when I try to build a new kernel, I either get an error

Code:
fbmem.c:34:24: /video/vesa.h: no such file or directory

or if I copy the vesa.h from /usr/src/linux-2.4.25-gentoo-r4/fb/vesa.h I get

Code:
video.S:677 error: Symbol 'check_vesa' is already defined

along with another symbol already defined error.

Help! I broke it! Anyone with any ideas?! :cry:

Thanks.
SuSEQ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-emerge your kernel sources and re-apply the rrc patch, if you want to use that one...

I'm afraid that 'll be the only thing you can do... :-/

Gr, SuSEQ
Pubare
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When trying new patches, it is always a good idea to -
"patch -p1 --dry-run<vesafb*"

Assuming of course you have the vesafb patch extracted to the kernel source directory... If the dry-run option gives failures (for nearly any file, there are a few safe to ignore), _don't_ apply the patch unless you know what failed and why and how to fix it. Even using the -R option afterwards can still leave you with a borked source tree.
MoreCoffeePlease
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, managed to emerge the sources, and I can build kernels again.

I think for now I'll live with 60hz....

Thanks.
Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i run the command but i get the error

Code:
root@Matrix{/home/jazz}> /usr/X11R6/bin/xvidtune -show | ./modeline2fb.pl >> /etc/fb.modes
Illegal division by zero at ./modeline2fb.pl line 22, <STDIN> line 1.

Any ideas ?

BYe,
Jazz[/code]
In 2010, M$ Windows will be a quantum processing emulation layer for a 128-bit mod of a 64-bit hack of a 32-bit patch to a 16-bit GUI for an 8-bit operating system written for a 4-bit processor from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
redix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im ATI R9700 PRO user and im prefer workin` from console. On X im usin` fglrx. Problem was that my visit to X ended up with frozen box after ending X session. No patch work for me, coz R300 boards r only VBE2.0 ??!!??. ATI seems to prefer other ways to work with signals :-). So my chance to cooperate with console and X with higher refresh rates was zero. Hard to decide if take 85Hz on console and run X without 3D (with radeon module) or run poor console and get 3D accel on X with fglrx.
Finaly, the only thing to do with ATI is reflash VGA BIOS.

howgh
nojon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be of interest to nVidia users :

As some of you may know nVidia graphics cards are a mess when it comes to switching between a MultiHead / Twinview display and the vesafb-console window - it simply gets corrupted. And now the good thing : vesafb-tng solves this bug - the vesa console does not get corrupted anymore when switching between X and framebuffer console !

Good news for nVidia users !!!

Considering the fact that the vesafb-tng patch solves a major bug for probably a huge number of linux boxes how good are the chances that this patch will be applied to vanilla linux ?
MaxDamage
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nojon wrote:
Considering the fact that the vesafb-tng patch solves a major bug for probably a huge number of linux boxes how good are the chances that this patch will be applied to vanilla linux ?

Or to the gentoo-dev-sources. I have an ATI 9600 Pro and also get a messed X when I switch from the framebuffer console, 1 of each 100 times. And this 60Hz annoyance is really stupid. Will try the patch to see if it works.

** EDIT **

The patch failed to apply so I used the vesafb-tng-0.9-rc2-2.6.7-gentoo.patch.bz2 one (compiling gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.7-r8 with genkernel). Patched cleanly
Code:
bzip2 -dc /home/marcos/Download/vesafb-tng-0.9-rc2-2.6.7-gentoo.patch.bz2 | patch -p1
 genkernel --menuconfig all

but the kernel didn't compile
Code:
  LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x9cfc6): En la funci?n `splash_getraw':
: undefined reference to `vesafb_ops'
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
* ERROR: Failed to compile the "bzImage" target...

Any ideas?
MaxDamage
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spock_ wrote:
SuSEQ wrote:
I'm having trouble patching the gentoo-dev-2.6.7-rc6 sources; the previous patch patched OK, but it didn't work like it should.

You can use this patch if you want to try vesafb-tng on gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.7-r6.

Somebody got the 2.6.7 gentoo-dev-sources patched and working?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: