Synchronizing 2 mail clients
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
defenderBG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Synchronizing 2 mail clients Reply with quote

Hi,
I will be buying soon a desktop pc and I will have a pc and a laptop. At home I will be using the pc, and when I have to go somewhere - the laptop. My question is how can I synchronize both mail clients (I am using kmail). Copying the needed configs from .kde is an option, but I am searching for something more "frendly". Is there anything I can use, which allows me to sync even when both computers have no direct connection (like storing on some server what the one client recieved/sent)? What are my options? What would you advice me? Dont hesitate to post wikis or articles ;)
alex.blackbit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what exactly do you want to synchronize? your program settings? the emails themselfs? then the question is whether you use POP or IMAP.
magic919
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like IMAP would do the trick.
defenderBG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mails. I currently use pop3. We use a server, which is managed by another company and we dont have unlimited storage capabilities there, so that I can have my ~5GB mail there.
termite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

upload everything to gmail, use the imap stuff to connect to it. Should work.
f4u5t
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

termite wrote:
upload everything to gmail, use the imap stuff to connect to it. Should work.

++

As far as I know there is no simple way to do this.

You could rsync the mail folders. See folders= in ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc.

The problem comes when handling deleted messages. Here is a possible solution. At any one time consider one computer the master and only delete mail from that one. When you run rsync from master to slave use the --delete option and any time you want to flip the master and slave roles rsync with the --delete option as well.
defenderBG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I though there should be an easier and well documented way to sync, since it sounds like something, that is required often...

termite: making an gmail account is easy.uploading everything to gmail... hm.... the problem is that I will be uploading tons os spam. So I prefer first downloading all messages, checking which one is needed and then uploading. Now, the problem is that such a thing cannot happen on an automatic basis. As far as I understand IMAP is what I need. Yet somehow I should make both clients to be able to tag the messages, they downloaded with for example d1 and d2. If a message has both d1 and d2 (that means it was downloaded by both), delete it. Else leave it be. The same should happen with sent messages. They should be uploaded in a special folder, the uploader tags it as downloaded and when the second mail account reads it, it gets deleted. Is something like this possible?

f4u5t: that means that both computers should have a direct connection, which is not awlays possible. Maybe I'd rather have my mailbox beeing diffed and the diff file uploaded to a server, so when I switch the computers that I can easily get in track of what is happening. Yet again, this will be done manualy, at best I can do a script :/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: