Firsttime notebook-buyer, need help on Linux-compat
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vvizard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Firsttime notebook-buyer, need help on Linux-compat Reply with quote

Hi, this will be my first laptop ever, and I have no experience with setting up pcmcia or other laptop-specific things. I could really appreciate some help in choosing my new system. It's gonna be a desktop-replacer, so I can program etc when not at home. I'm aiming at a 2GHz+ w/ 1GB RAM, 15" 1400x1050 system, which weights less than 3kg's.. Yes it's gonna be expensive (specially for a student), and that's why I need help so I don't end up buying something which I won't work with Linux. It will run Linux only, so the "Well, but you could always dual-boot XP to get it working when you need it" won't be an option..

I've done some research, and seen that the Centrino-wlan isn't supported. Except that, is a Centrino a good buy? I'm specially thinking about the Acer Travelmate 800, which got a Mobile 1.3GHz with 1024KB l2 cache, and ACER claim it should be comparable to a Mobile P4 2.2GHz. This computer satisfies my needs for CPU, monitor, battery-time (4+ hours), and could be equipped with an additional 512MB ram to get my gigabyte. Since the wlan won't work, and I _need_ wlan, I could buy an additional prism2-based wlan-card from 3com, cisco or something, couldn't I? Or will this crash with the integrated wlan-chip?

The other one I consider is a norwegian brand called Zepto. It got the same CPU as the Centrino-systems, nice 15" monitor, expandable to 1GB RAM, and can ship without a darn XP-license and the centrino-wlan-card.

Anybody who thinks one of those would be good options? Anybody got other good alternatives which matches the specs I want? 3+ hours batterytime is a must.. And so is price! ;)
dirtboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clevo rebranded laptops seem to be pretty good with Linux support. I own a ProStar 8854, which might be a bit heavy for you, but it works great. Plus, it only cost me $2000 without an OS and a 4 year warranty.

Clevo models are rebranded by several companies. Hypernet Computing, Sager, Prostar, Alienware, etc. The guys I bought from were Xtreme Notebooks. Another reputable company that sells the Sager rebranded Clevo's is PCTorque. They actually have a forum set up specifically for Linux and the Sagers, and a lot of the employees post on it. Check out the forum here and see if anything stikes your fancy.
vvizard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I discovered pctorque.com earlier today, and _WOW_! Those prices where nice! And they actually ship to Norway, and as an added bonus, I get a norwegian keyboard on it for only $27! Thanks man!
Voffinn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haveing a Centrino is a plus !!!

They say (and i know) that 1.5 centrino is about good like 2.4 p4 mobile !
:D
vvizard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know, but.. It's not as fast as a P4 3.06GHz with hyperthreading I guess :-P That's what I'll buy if I don't get a Centrino.. I can get a Sager with 3.06GHz, 1GB RAM, dual battery-setup +++ for the same price as a 1.3GHz Centrino-system in Norway
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: