Basic iptables firewall.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stylish
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Basic iptables firewall. Reply with quote

#!/bin/bash
savefirewall() {
/etc/init.d/iptables save
}
addfirewallservice() {
rc-update add iptables default
}
firewalladd() {
iptables -P INPUT DROP
iptables -A INPUT -s 127.0.0.1 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --sport 53 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p udp --sport 53 -j ACCEPT
}
echo "Installing firewall"
firewalladd
savefirewall
addfirewallservice
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd call it the «poor-man's-firewall» ;-) ...
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you seeking advice or sharing this for the good of others? I see three different common mistakes, so I would not recommend anyone use this.

First, you have the standard mistake about loopback address versus loopback interface. I correct people on this one regularly.

Second, you allow any incoming TCP connection based solely on a source port of 53. You probably meant this to enable DNS zone transfers, but it creates a gaping hole for malicious traffic to enter over TCP. You should remove this rule entirely.

Third, you allow any incoming UDP traffic based solely on a source port of 53. This was probably meant to permit normal DNS traffic, but it creates a gaping hole for malicious traffic to enter over UDP. You should remove it and instead allow connection tracking to handle UDP so that DNS is covered via connection tracking.
stylish
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: The nameserver option. Reply with quote

You can use the address of the nameserver in the iptables. I did not include that option just to make the firewall more compact. But yes it is better to use the address of the 53 nameserver protacol.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The nameserver option. Reply with quote

stylish wrote:
You can use the address of the nameserver in the iptables. I did not include that option just to make the firewall more compact. But yes it is better to use the address of the 53 nameserver protacol.

Restricting the traffic based on predetermined nameserver addresses cripples dig, and may also cause problems if you use a server that refuses to perform recursive resolution. I was not recommending to restrict traffic based on nameserver addresses, but rather to use conntrack to let the kernel handle it for you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: