Gentoo MIPS (Loongson 2F) project
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Gentoo MIPS (Loongson 2F) project Reply with quote

hi,

I just looked at the help wanted website and unfortunately it seems that there isn't an active MIPS related project, or am I wrong?

hopefully I will receive my yeeloong 8089_D next week and if I'm correct there will be a debian, loonux or red flag distribution pre-installed. Of course I will install gentoo on it! :)

Because I have to write assembly programs for the MIPS architecture in my studies and even more because its a fully open system I want to spend much time with it. So I would like to contribute something to the gentoo MIPS project (if it still exists?! and/or testing packages for the AMD64 architecture but I don't know if I'm qualified for this).

Does somebody work on this project or knows something?
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still exists. Ping 'em on #gentoo-mips and ask 'em how you can help. ;)
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks, I sent a mail to the project leader...

btw, of topic question: have you installed your virtual windows machine? I have downloaded window 7 from dreamspark and it was a nightmare, because dreamspark thought I am an Apple user so I had to change my firefox-profile to get a .msi file, but then I had some other problems and someone said: you have to get an illegal windows version to get a legal one, makes sense, don't it? :lol: :roll:

Moreover I had problems with the virtualmachines itself (virtualbox, etc), then I saw that virtualbox needs qt support for the GUI and just before I turned mad I gave it up and now I'm using Monodevelop which works very good (I hope it will still work with threads- and GUI-programming) and svn (CLI) to send my programs (and not that stupid Tortoise) :)

But I'm still interested in the VM...
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
Sebul
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/mips/yeeloong.xml and installed gentoo on my 8089D
Default browser Dillo is inconvenient
What can I install firefox?
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried to compile firefox with portage?

I don't have an X-server installed anymore. One reason that they have dillo as the default browser is because it's a very lightweight browser. I wouldn't recommend to install firefox, because it's really slow. But if you want to, either try to compile it with portage (and wait 1-2 days) or you can download the source and compile it manually. I did this and it worked.

Otherwise you can cross-compile it.
Sebul
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Korean. So i want to write Hangul(Korean letter). Can use Korean in Dillo?
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebul wrote:
I am Korean. So i want to write Hangul(Korean letter). Can use Korean in Dillo?

I don't know, but I'm sure you will find it out :wink:

if not, install firefox... like I said, if it doesn't work with portage, try to compile manually or with cross compilation. If you need your yeeloong for serious work (I guess not!?) then maybe try openBSD or parabola Linux, because unfortunately they are more advanced systems for the yeeloong.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: