Dell V515W Wireless Printer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
volumen1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Dell V515W Wireless Printer Reply with quote

So, I just got one of these printers and I was surprised to see that Dell actually offers drivers for Ubuntu and Suse. Now, the "drivers" are actually tarballs of a shell script that appears to have an embedded RPM or DEB file in it.

I'm wondering if anyone has gotten one of these printers to work in Gentoo?

So far, I've tried both scripts, but they both fail, probably because they are looking for "apt" and "dpkg" and whatnot. So, I ran the Ubuntu script and told it to not remove the temporary files. That way I was able to get the .deb file. Then I used deb2targz to get at all the files in there.

The interesting things were a few .ppd files which I put in /etc/cups. Also there was a directory called dell09 with lots of goodies in there. Based on what I read in other places. It appears that the ppd file references this directory and it expects it to be in /usr/dellinkjet/ So, I did all of that.

Now, I'm sharing the printer from my Windows 7 computer and I've defined it in CUPS as smb://<IP of the windows 7 box>/<Name of the printer share> Then I told cups to use the dlV310-V510.ppd file (based on what I read in other places.

At first, when I tried to print, it complained because I didn't have the /usr/dellinkjet/dell09/bin/printdriver file. Well, I do now.

So, when I try and print now, I get this error in CUPS:
Code:
"Session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE"

In my cups log, I see errors like this:
Code:
D [26/Aug/2011:17:38:02 -0600] [Job 187] Backend returned status 2 (authentication required)
D [26/Aug/2011:17:38:02 -0600] [Job 187] Job held for authentication.
D [26/Aug/2011:17:38:02 -0600] [Job 187] End of messages
D [26/Aug/2011:17:38:02 -0600] [Job 187] printer-state=3(idle)
D [26/Aug/2011:17:38:02 -0600] [Job 187] printer-state-message="Printer Error. The printer cannot communicate with the computer."

Anyway, I feel like I'm getting close but maybe this is a samba-related thing now?

When I run smbclient -L vug (vug is the Windows 7 box), it prompts me for a password and when I enter it, I see the printer (among other things):
Code:

Clacky          Printer   Dell V510 Series (Network)

Anyway, I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I think I need a push in the right direction.
volumen1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... maybe I'm being too specific. Has anyone seen this error just with a shared Windows 7 printer?
volumen1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I need to post a follow-up here. Thanks for your response. I actually ended up getting it to work by printing directly to the Dell wireless printer. I'll post my step-by-step instruction. I'm going to install it on a second machine and better document the procedure. Basically, though, you have to use the .deb file to get the dlnet and dlusb backends into Cups and a few other things.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: