searching for exact phrases/strings
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asiddens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: searching for exact phrases/strings Reply with quote

I haven't used the forums for a while, but there seems to have been a major change. Search results are no longer relevant at all.

The main problem seems to be that searches simply search for each of the individual words in the search string disregarding order. Normally priority should be given to exact matches (meaning same word order). However, this seems not to be the case.

What makes it even worse is that it seems like there's no way to force it to search for an exact string. Enclosing the search string in single or double quotes has no affect on the results. Let me use some examples to show the extreme absurdity of the current search feature.

I wanted to search for "failed cache update". The first resulting thread contained the word "cache" one single time in the whole entire freaking thread! The words "failed" and "update" were not used at all! Something tells me there's something seriously wrong with that. If I enclose the string in quotes, I get the exact same damn thread as my first result, and all the the subsequent threads are the exact same as well.

I could go on with other examples, but I think this is enough to communicate my problem and my extreme frustration at the sheer absurdity of the search feature in its current state.

Edit: And yes I also tried "failed AND cache AND update", and it still had no affect on the results.

Also, another major problem is that highlighting of searched for terms isn't working.
nightm4re
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you talking about the quick search box, or the actual search page? if the first, try the second, it's got a lot of stuff in it to try.
asiddens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've looked at it. It has no options that help.
lookinin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As John-Boy was kind enough to point out to me the other day:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=2019613#2019613

You can use google and search only the gentoo web site:

Code:
site:gentoo.org failed cache update -font -X
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few tips here, but it sounds like you already knew about those. We're working on getting more google-friendly URLs in the future though, so perhaps google would be the way to go.
nibblebot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: search phrases? Reply with quote

Why can't I search for phrases? For example, if I click on the search link and type in "free software" and change the forum to games and the results to posts, none of the posts have "free software" (minues the quotes) as a phrase written in the results. How do I achieve this? All I'm trying to do is a search that works like google search phrase. Any suggestions?
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: search phrases? Reply with quote

Merged this one here.
nibblebot wrote:
Why can't I search for phrases?

Because the phpBB search engine does not support it. See link(s) above.
hvengel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lookinin wrote:
As John-Boy was kind enough to point out to me the other day:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=2019613#2019613

You can use google and search only the gentoo web site:

Code:
site:gentoo.org failed cache update -font -X

Which no longer works. I used to use this since the native search engine is not useful (almost never gives meaningful results). Now there is no way to search the forums and find useful posts. Google has not worked in Oct. 2008 and other posts here in other threads about this dated late January 2009 said that the situation that caused it should be fixed "in a few weeks". Anyone have any clues about how much longer "a few weeks" is?
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone have any clues about how much longer "a few weeks" is?
Two weeks after they finished Duke4Ever :twisted:

Seriously, it's a shame. Couldn't Gentoo spare a server, install yacy and use that to provide a funtional search?
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look, the long and the short of it is, nobody cared about v3, and nobody important cared about google. i tried helping you all, and got nothing but endless frustration.

until things get to the point where infra and the remaining forums team get their act into gear, you're going to be stuck with crap. i quit and built my own forum instead.

not that i'm staging a political coup, but you're more than welcome to use my forum, with both a working search (within phpBB's REAL design, of course, none of this stoplist crap), and a working google search.

sorry.

ps: this should be merged with the many "where is google" and "fgo search sucks" threads.

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: