52%  [ 113 ]
QT
47%
 47%  [ 104 ]
Total Votes : 217

chizu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:57 am    Post subject: QT or GTK? Reply with quote

Just wondering which one gentooers prefer.
KungFuHamster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no good can come from this thread...
chizu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, but I would like to see how it turns out... :twisted:

Folks, please keep flames in your fireplace.
zez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50/50 right now...

This is going to be so useful :lol:
chizu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well so far its working better than asking on irc, only one person replied out of 3 channels.
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like QT's API (only because I actually *like* C++ 8O ) but a lot of good apps are written only for GTK. I found it really easy to learn how to program GUI apps in QT.
Personally I think QT is nicer from an isolated end-user perspective but if you're going for a "pure" one toolkit system then I'd go with GTK as it has better apps (IMHO).
I say it doesn't matter - install both and just use whatever apps you want under one of the lightweight window managers.
maor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my vote go for qt.
from aprogrammer point of view qt just build better . is much easier to implement things with qt then gtk even if u know both of them good, development time with qt will be much shorter although u can can get with both of them the same result (well i think it's come to this that i like OOP more).
chizu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it does matter, a unified gui toolkit would be really great. It would provide users with a good fluid experiance and would lower the system requirments of linux/X11 a bit. I myself use gtk for development because of its speed, non-commercialness (qt=trolltech), and most of my apps are gtk based. I primarly program in C++/Perl5.
chizu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think my speed thing may be due to using qt mainly with all of kde. Anyone have any benchmarks for QT vs GTK? Like how much system resources it takes to make a button in QT compared to GTK.
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chizu wrote:
I think it does matter, a unified gui toolkit would be really great. It would provide users with a good fluid experiance and would lower the system requirments of linux/X11 a bit. I myself use gtk for development because of its speed, non-commercialness (qt=trolltech), and most of my apps are gtk based. I primarly program in C++/Perl5.

Not to dispute your opinion on GTK which I think is just personal preference, but I was under the impression that all of the license issues with QT had been resolved and that it is now fully GPL. This means that if the commercialization of QT by TrollTech ever becomes a major problem, QT will just be forked.

It'd be nice to have a unified toolkit but it's not going to happen on Linux unless either QT or GTK is severely weakened and I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.
chizu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or perhaps if they were combined... :P

yeah, like that will happen.
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to each his own. I like the fact that I have a choice in these sorts of things and I think the diversity helps good new features find their way into both toolkits. GTK and QT are each superior in different areas and it's quite likely that successful and well-received features from either will eventually make their way into both.

For me, application diversity is more important than consistency of UI. That's obviously a tradeoff but I like the fact that Linux allows users to make their own choices about how much they want to balance things.
CRC
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mnemia wrote:

Not to dispute your opinion on GTK which I think is just personal preference, but I was under the impression that all of the license issues with QT had been resolved and that it is now fully GPL. This means that if the commercialization of QT by TrollTech ever becomes a major problem, QT will just be forked

Actually, I think the isssue is that QT is LGPL, but for Linux only, commercial for Windows. What this means is that if you want to port to Windows, you have to pay them. It also means you can write commercial apps in QT much easier. I think there may be an issue with making commericial apps wiith GTK (which is fine by me).

Also, GTK is somewhat object oriented, but doesn't require C++. I personally hate C++, as Alan Kay says "I invented the term Object Oriented Programming, and C++ was NOT what I had in mind". GTK ports to Windows (Xchat, Gaim and Gimp and a few more are easy to install under Windows, even without cygwin). And the Gnome object embedding system is based on open standards (CORBA) while KDE is not.. Gnome apps are also easier to get running in odd configurations ... KDE apps don't seem to like being run via a remote X connection as smoothly. For those reasons, my vote goes to Gnome.

You also can't test based on a single button, the libraries are much more involved so that such wouldn't be useful.

Freenode: Taro!
chizu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the portability with respect licensing was more along the lines of what I meant. The lgpl qt port to windows by kde and recent lgpl'ing of qt for MacOS X seems promosing though.

And what I mean by a single button test, would be a series of timed tests involving startup time, widget creation time, memory usage, etc... Although you're right, this would be wildey innaccurate and not very useful due to complexity.
maor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRC wrote:

And the Gnome object embedding system is based on open standards (CORBA) while KDE is not.. Gnome apps are also easier to get running in odd configurations ... KDE apps don't seem to like being run via a remote X connection as smoothly. For those reasons, my vote goes to Gnome.

this thread is not about gnome Vs kde i think there is alot's of thread's about it , it's about the toolkits gtk Vs qt.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QT for technical superior design and ease of use.

GTK for looks and direction.

I voted GTK because that's what I look at every day but I wish some of the thought that has gone into QT was applied on GTK.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTK.

Never had a need to have Qt installed.
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually a little deeper than you might imagine.

Qt is propietry. There's no 2 ways about it. You need a license to use it commercially and the development is mostly behind closed doors (try and locate a bugzilla).

Gtk is GNU (Gtk - Gimp ToolKit, Gimp - GNU Image Manipulation Program), which basically means it's free as in GPL free (which is not truly free, as BSD advocates would quickly add).

The "I prefer C++" arguments (Qt being C++, Gtk being C) don't really hold because of the gtkmm bindings (C++ bindings for Gtk) unless you are arguing that from the pespective of further developing the toolkit as opposed to just using it.

Also, there's Perl, Python and Ruby bindings for Gtk (among others). I have not seen equivalents (at least not announced on freshmeat) for Qt.

However, I hear that Qt's API is a little cleaner / more considered than that of Gtk. Yet Gtk apps tend to look a lot nicer in my opinion. (IMO Qt apps tend to look cluttered, whereas Gtk apps tend to look nicely polished).

So you have to approach it from several angles and ask yourself, "do I...":
  • ...want something that is free as in speech software? (Gtk)
  • ...need something commercially supported and developed for a range of platforms including embedded ones? (Qt)
  • ...find the Qt API easier than the Gtk/gtkmm API? (?)
  • ...need more specific language bindings? (Gtk)
  • ...want to be involved in further developing the toolkit? (Gtk)
In the long run, both will prevail because of their respective strengths. Personally, I'm a Gtk app fan and only have KDE/other-major-Qt-stuff installed for the sake of curiousity.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
Cossins
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
Qt is propietry. There's no 2 ways about it. You need a license to use it commercially and the development is mostly behind closed doors (try and locate a bugzilla).

"Propietary" you say? Yes, it's developed by a company... But it is as open as anything on the Linux platform (GTK included). You don't need a license as long as you're commercially developing for Linux (and the LGPL'ed version of Qt).

charlieg wrote:
Gtk is GNU (Gtk - Gimp ToolKit, Gimp - GNU Image Manipulation Program), which basically means it's free as in GPL free (which is not truly free, as BSD advocates would quickly add).
No doubt.

charlieg wrote:
The "I prefer C++" arguments (Qt being C++, Gtk being C) don't really hold because of the gtkmm bindings (C++ bindings for Gtk) unless you are arguing that from the pespective of further developing the toolkit as opposed to just using it.

I might add that there is QtC (C bindings for Qt).

charlieg wrote:
Also, there's Perl, Python and Ruby bindings for Gtk (among others). I have not seen equivalents (at least not announced on freshmeat) for Qt.

There's PyQt... I can't think of the exact names of the other bindings, but I seem to recall that they exist... I don't know for sure, though...

charlieg wrote:
However, I hear that Qt's API is a little cleaner / more considered than that of Gtk. Yet Gtk apps tend to look a lot nicer in my opinion. (IMO Qt apps tend to look cluttered, whereas Gtk apps tend to look nicely polished).

Looks are a matter of opinion... Funny enough, I am of the exact opposite opinion. That Qt apps look less cluttered and more clean than GTK2 apps. Maybe that is just a matter of theming...
I tried once to do some GTK programming, but I simply couldn't figure it out (being an object oriented mind... :-)) - With Qt it was a piece of cake.

- Simon
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong of the QT license thing Cossins.

The license is GPL and QPL - which means if you plan to keep the source and sell your product closed source then you have to pay Trolltech a lot of cash.

This is a good business model but it's not truely free.
Ben2040
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I'm not going to do anything like coding or selling the toolkits, so I think about what affects me.

SPEED 8) 8) 8)

So using your object oriented brains, is there a noticable speed difference between the two or is it impossible to tell?

Ben
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deja vu.
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No lock?

Hmmm...

You forgot these options:

Cocoa/AppKit
Motif
Xlib

But nevermind.

GTK+ is programmed using the lowest common denominator: C. From there, many bindings. It uses its own object-oriented extensions, glib.

Qt is programmed using the fattest OOP language: C++. Yet, it is the more coherent, integrated of the two. But then again, maybe that has something to do with the philosophy behind KDE.
mvr_rennes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like QT better than GTK... maybe because I used to be a KDE user (now I'm on fluxbox) and so I'm more used to it, and I think it looks better.
A haven't got any real programming experience with QT (just a couple of tests), but I liked it. As for GTK, I've used it with Ruby bindings (and then only because there aren't ruby bindings for QT 3), and I found it nice too (although ruby-gtk2 is quite unstable as of now), so my preference is based on aesthetics, mostly.
duff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...depends on the version.

Gtk2 > Qt3 > Gtk1 ... and so on
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: