Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imanassypov wrote:
You know what, it seems to me that you got some leftovers from the previous vmware installation in there...
What I did was not only did I unmerged all vmware* stuff, but also 'slocate vmware' and then rm it.

Then I installed the 6.5...

But in your case before you start blasting things away, try this:

Code:

vmware-modconfig

I believe that script vmware-config is there no more...

I have no idea what might still be lying around. :(
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slocating and removing vmware* worked! :)
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vmware workstation 6.5 installs both very fine on my machine, your guide and ebuild from vmware overlay. No problem.

But: No matter how I install it, after some minutes in a virtual machine (Windows XP pro 32bit) the whole computer freezes and I can only power it off. That can't be right, can it? So, has anybody of you witnessed such a destructive behavior, too?
ferrelas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tring to install vmware, but it refuses anything I type in when it is asking for system service runlevels. What should I enter here? I followed the guide on all other points.
billydv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferrelas, if you created the symlinks as I showed in my guide, then you can run the installer normally, but you should know that the vmware overlay has now caught up and it might be simplest for you to use that overlay and emerge the software.
Shaoren
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question.
To install VMware Workstation, I use the VMware overlay. Nonetheless, when I emerge it, I have got a problem, saying portage cannot download the bundle. So, I have downloaded manually, how can I tell portage, that I have already downloaded it ?

Code:
!!! app-emulation/vmware-workstation-6.5.1.126130 has fetch restriction turned on.
!!! This probably means that this ebuild's files must be downloaded
!!! manually.  See the comments in the ebuild for more information.

* Please download the VMware-Workstation-6.5.1-126130.i386.bundle from http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ws_features.html
 * Fetch failed for 'app-emulation/vmware-workstation-6.5.1.126130', Log file:
 *  '/var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/vmware-workstation-6.5.1.126130/temp/build.log'

Thanks!
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaoren, somehow the error output does not mention, that you have to put the file you downloaded into /usr/portage/distfiles!

I'd call that a bug in the ebuild's pkg_nofetch() message.
Shaoren
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange... I have got the same error, even if I have put VMware-Workstation-6.5.1-126130.i386.bundle in my /usr/portage/distfiles...

Thanks nevertheless.
billydv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are downloading the x86 version. Ignore the emerge message and download the exact version of vmware that the ebuild is trying to emerge (of the right arch, x86 or amd64!!!!) and put into /usr/portage/distfiles
Kvetch
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't seem to find the exact version anywhere on the vmware site. Any ideas on where one could find that archive? I see archives for 5.x releases but not dot releases of 6

Thanks,
Nick
massimo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kvetch wrote:
I can't seem to find the exact version anywhere on the vmware site. Any ideas on where one could find that archive? I see archives for 5.x releases but not dot releases of 6

http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/
Kvetch
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! Foiled by the scroll down factor.

Thanks massimo.
ruta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to get this by using portage. It installed without a problem, after I added the use flags it requested on a couple packages. It then told me to run emerge --config vmware-workstation, which I did. However, when I tried running vmware, I received this:

Code:
$ vmware
vmware is installed, but it has not been (correctly) configured
for this system. To (re-)configure it, invoke the following command:
/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl

So I did just that and,

Code:
# vmware-config.pl
Unable to find the answer LIBDIR in the installer database
(/etc/vmware/locations).  You may want to re-install VMware Workstation.

Execution aborted.

Trying to solve the problem on my own, I removed vmware-workstation and vmware-modules, and read that this problem was created sometimes with an old version of /etc/vmware/locations. I haven't installed vmware before, but I had been trying to get it to work with just the bundle for a bit. So I thought I may as well, and got rid of that locations file and re-emerged everything. However, now:
Code:

$ vmware
/usr/bin/vmware: line 85: /etc/vmware/locations: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/vmware: line 177: /lib/wrapper-gtk24.sh: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/vmware: line 177: exec: /lib/wrapper-gtk24.sh: cannot execute: No such file or directory

and
Code:

# vmware-config.pl
Unable to find the database file (/etc/vmware/locations)

Execution aborted.

I have no idea how I generated that locations file before, and I don't know how to generate one now! I also have no idea what those /lib/wrapper-gtk24.sh errors are about either. I tried getting a few packages people mentioned having needed in this thread and re-emerging, but nothing changes this error at this point. I can't get a locations file at all. I've also searched for a locations file everywhere else, thinking it may have installed in the wrong place, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Any tips?
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have no idea how I generated that locations file before, and I don't know how to generate one now! I also have no idea what those /lib/wrapper-gtk24.sh errors are about either. I tried getting a few packages people mentioned having needed in this thread and re-emerging, but nothing changes this error at this point. I can't get a locations file at all. I've also searched for a locations file everywhere else, thinking it may have installed in the wrong place, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Any tips?

Well, maybe my experiences with the vmware overlay version may help...I originally had vmware workstation 6.5.1 installed manually (just using the vmware installer that came with the bundle). I never like doing that on Gentoo, but at the time I had no choice. I noticed that the vmware overlay has caught up to the most recent version of vmware-workstation, so I want to use that instead...I uninstalled the original version of vmware workstation, then installed the version from the overlay, like you...and bingo, I got that "installer database" error...

Turns out, I had the old /etc/vmware directory laying around after the original version of vmware workstation was uninstalled...I simply removed it, re-installed vmware workstation from portage, and it works like a charm...perfect. I had to stop and restart the service several times before it would work because I had some modules had not loaded because of the messed up state of the previous startup before I removed the old /etc/vmware directory. Maybe this helps...but the vmware overlay is definitly the way to go...and thanks to the hard work of the dev who found a way to install vmware workstation the Gentoo way...outstanding job...and some hard work.
NightMonkey
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imanassypov wrote:
Hey,

Yea - I hit the same wall with this, and I figured what gives just recently. The hint that helped me was the ui log vmware creates, if you look at the backtrace - at least on mine, the gui was breaking upon loading libsexymm library...

The solution was to unmerge that libsexymm altogether. As soon as I did, I was once again able to call up that create wizard.

Just another thanks here... I fixed it by just re-emerging libsexymm and that did the trick. 8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: