Gentoo on an Atmel AT91RM9200
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tavion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on an Atmel AT91RM9200 Reply with quote

I've got a board based on the Atmel AT91RM9200. I've managed to get a tool chain for it by using crossdev (arm-softfloat-linux-gnu). Now I'm trying to compile a base file system that will boot over NFS. I've got a kernel based on a 2.6.21.3 kernel source tree (unfortunately it isn't based on Gentoo-Sources). I've used the compiler that I've built to compile the kernel and it boots.

Here is the problem: It always hangs right after printing 'INIT: version 2.86 booting'.

What I would like to know is if there is anyone else running Gentoo on an Atmel AT91RM9200? If so, what are the packages that make up the base filesystem? Also, is the kernel tightly bound to the distribution it came from (meaning you can't use the kernel from distribution A with the filesystem from distribution B)?

I have come across this HOWTO and am going to try following it: http://gentoo-wiki.com/Gentoo_for_the_TS72xx_Single_Board_Computer_%28Tiny_Distro%29
However, I believe it has many more packages than what is required for a bare system. And while I do have a fair amount of flash space (256MB Nand), I want to start with a bare minimum filesystem that will boot via NFS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tavion
tavion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still trying to get Gentoo to work on the AT91RM9200. I've managed to cross compile a few packages but I have been unable to get the system to boot via NFS. My question is this, is there a way to figure out what packages make up a stage3 tarball? I've searched the forums to no avail and I haven't had much luck on the web either. Would someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Tavion
apage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also playing with the AT91RM9200. Not got very far yet but it's early days.

For another approach take a look at:
http://pablo.etype.com.ar/files/Orson_SBC/embedded_gentoo_on_kb92xx_howto.pdf

Cheers
Alan
tavion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response apage, I'll give that document a read this weekend so that I'll be ready to give another shot at it next week.

Jason
tavion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying to figure this out. I've manage to compile quite a few packages so far and I am getting close to having something that ought to NFS mount. I'm still using:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Gentoo_for_the_TS72xx_Single_Board_Computer_%28Tiny_Distro%29
http://pablo.etype.com.ar/files/Orson_SBC/embedded_gentoo_on_kb92xx_howto.pdf

as my references. I have hit another snag and I'm not sure how to resolve it. I'm trying to cross-compile dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r6 and I keep getting this error:

Code:

>>> Verifying ebuild Manifests...

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r6 to /usr/arm-softfloat-linux-gnu/
 * Python-2.4.4.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...                   [ ok ]
 * python-gentoo-patches-2.4.4-r4.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ... [ ok ]
 * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...                                      [ ok ]
 * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...                                    [ ok ]
 * checking Python-2.4.4.tar.bz2 ;-) ...                                  [ ok ]
 * checking python-gentoo-patches-2.4.4-r4.tar.bz2 ;-) ...                [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking Python-2.4.4.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r6/work
>>> Unpacking python-gentoo-patches-2.4.4-r4.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r6/work
 * ERROR: dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r6 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called src_unpack
 *             environment, line 3466:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *           [[ $(python -V 2>&1) != "Python ${PV}" ]] && die "Crosscompiling requires the same host and build versions.";
 *  The die message:
 *   Crosscompiling requires the same host and build versions.
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r6/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r6/temp/environment'.

This is the actual error I believe:

Code:

*  The die message:
*   Crosscompiling requires the same host and build versions.

And unfortunately, I don't know how to fix this since I'm cross-compiling on an x86. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Tavion
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: