View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DOLLAR
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] All-round Desktop Issues Reply with quote

I am new to Gentoo and Linux and have posted on here before but still have not been able to get my desktop environment working.

I have emerge xorg-x11 but Xorg -configure does not work saying missing output drivers.
Unfortunately I don't know enough to manually configure the conf file.

I have also tried to emerge x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers but it says please disable PARAVIRT in your kernel config.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited by DOLLAR on Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
gsoe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have emerge xorg-x11 but Xorg -configure does not work saying missing output drivers
Do you have something like
Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="vesa nvidia nv"
in your make.conf? If you don't, you should add it and then reemerge xorg (or emerge -uDavN world). Then xorg will pull in drivers for your nvidia card.
DOLLAR
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have
Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"

Is that enough or should I change it?
gsoe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then there's no driver until you get nvidia-drivers to work. If you add "nv" an open source driver will be pulled in, and that should make your Xorg -configure work. I suggest you do that, and when you have X working you can try to get nvidia-drivers to work too.
zyko
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to get the nvidia-drivers to emerge, you need to change some settings in your kernel. The message above suggests that you must disable PARAVIRT, which I think is CONFIG_PARAVIRT_GUEST, also known as "paravirtualized guest support" in menuconfig --> "Processor type and features". Of course that's only feasible if you don't need this option.

You can retrace the steps you took when you first configured your kernel (as documented in the handbook), it's really simple. If you need more specific help, please post how you created your kernel in the first place (genkernel vs. self-made).
DOLLAR
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zyko wrote:
If you need more specific help, please post how you created your kernel in the first place (genkernel vs. self-made).

I am new to all this so do need more specific help if thats ok. I used Genkernel on the installation...
zyko
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's first open the handbook, so we have a common point of reference: "Chapter 7d: Using genkernel" looks promising :)

I've never worked with genkernel, so let's explore it together:
Before we start, make sure your /boot partition is mounted (if you have a separate /boot partition), as we will copy some files to /boot. We are in a terminal now. If you need root from now on, just su to root. Run this:

Code:
ls -lash /boot

It should show you at least your kernel image and a folder for grub. Backup your kernel, whatever it is named:

Code:
cp -a /boot/<your-kernel> /boot/<your-kernel-backup>

Replace the <...> with your actual kernel.

Now let's get going: There are basically two steps involved in creating a kernel. You must configure it and then compile it. There is a graphical tool that helps with configuration: Menuconfig. Run this:

Code:
genkernel --menuconfig all

It should spawn a pretty menu for you to navigate with the arrow keys. Find the entry that says Processor type and features ---> and hit the space bar. In the following submenu, there will be an option called Paravirtualized guest support. It should look somewhat like this:

Code:
        [ ] Tickless System (Dynamic Ticks)                                                                 
        [ ] High Resolution Timer Support                                                                   
        [ ] Symmetric multi-processing support                                                             
            Subarchitecture Type (PC-compatible)  --->                                                   
        [ ] Single-depth WCHAN output                                                                       
This -> [*] Paravirtualized guest support  --->                                                     
            Processor family (386)  --->                                               
        [ ] Generic x86 support                                                                             
        [ ] HPET Timer Support   

Mark that option and hit space to untick it. We're done here. Exit the sub-menu, exit the menu -- when it asks if you want to save your config, say yes. Congratulations, you have configured your first kernel :)

Now let's go back to the handbook. It says that the following command will compile the kernel (using our modified configuration):

Code:
genkernel all

Run it. It might take a minute or two, depending on your hardware. Read the rest of chapter 7d in the handbook, just to make sure we got everything. Yepp, looks like that was it.

The genkernel all script that we just ran hopefully copied your new kernel image to /boot. Check if the new kernel is there with the same command we used above:

Code:
ls -lash /boot

Check the timestamp next to your kernel. Make sure that /boot/grub/grub.conf has an entry for your new kernel and an entry for you old or backed up kernel. This should be pretty self-explanatory (if needed, look in the handbook).

To finish up, we'll have to reboot in order to make use of the new kernel. If we messed up and your new kernel does not boot, there is still the old entry in grub, so you can boot that. Failing even that, I hope you have a live-CD or some sort of a "plan B"... messing with the kernel is risky business ;)

After the reboot, emerge nvidia-drivers should work.

As always, if you need further help, don't hesitate to ask!

/edit: According to Bug #232883, this whole issue might also possibly be solved without modifications to the kernel, by emerging an as of yet unstable version of the nvidia-drivers, namely 173.14.12 or above. But that would be less fun, wouldn't it?
DOLLAR
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zyko wrote:
According to Bug #232883, this whole issue might also possibly be solved without modifications to the kernel, by emerging an as of yet unstable version of the nvidia-drivers, namely 173.14.12 or above. But that would be less fun, wouldn't it?

I need to learn so will try your way first. Thanks for your advise, will try it tonight and let you know...
DOLLAR
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried what you suggested last night and it got rid of the PARAVIRT error but still will not emerge nvidia-drivers
The error that shows is very long winded and because I don't have a desktop environment I don't know how to copy the error message to show you.

I have also tried emerge -uDavN world but it gets the same error when it gets to the nvidia drivers. I also read on the internet that after emerge -uDavN world you should run revdep-rebuild but that doesn't work, -bash...

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
zyko
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I propose we get you into a graphical environment first, as gsoe said above.

Find the following line in /etc/make.conf

Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"

Change it to

Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="nv vesa"

nvidia is the name for the proprietary driver from Nvidia, nv identifies the open source drivers (with poor performance) and vesa is the generic driver that should always work.

Since xorg-x11 is already merged, "emerge -avutND world" should update it to include nv and vesa drivers. The --newuse (-n) option should catch the change we made to make.conf and output something that looks promising. The part that needs recompiling is xorg-server, I think. If it does nothing, just run "emerge -avt xorg-server" manually. At least this should output something specific to VIDEO_CARDS.

After this, you should be able to configure xorg and install a graphical desktop.
DOLLAR
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are back on-line...
once I changed to VIDEO_CARDS="nv vesa" it emereged fine. I have now got Xfce4 working.

What a relife it is to get my laptop up and running again. I still have a few small problems but I will try and sort them myself first.

Thanks so much for the help, I was close to going back to Windows.
There is a lot of good people on this forum but special thanks to zyko...

I'm sure I'll be back again soon.

THanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: