The right way to fix my environment...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mverrilli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 5:51 pm    Post subject: The right way to fix my environment... Reply with quote

Ok, I finally figured out why a lot of my python and java apps aren't running properly. I've been running them from Konsole...

I telnetted back to myself, logged in, set my DISPLAY, and all my python/java programs are running now. So I assume my environment isn't correct in a regular shell, but it is correct in telnet/ssh.

So my questions are...

1. Is it not normal to want to drop a shell and run an X app?

2. I assume it is, so what is the proper way to fix my environment so it matches that of when I log in through telnet or ssh?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The right way to fix my environment... Reply with quote

Since it sounds like you use kde, please look at this thread:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=7060
mverrilli wrote:
Ok, I finally figured out why a lot of my python and java apps aren't running properly. I've been running them from Konsole...

I telnetted back to myself, logged in, set my DISPLAY, and all my python/java programs are running now. So I assume my environment isn't correct in a regular shell, but it is correct in telnet/ssh.

So my questions are...

1. Is it not normal to want to drop a shell and run an X app?

2. I assume it is, so what is the proper way to fix my environment so it matches that of when I log in through telnet or ssh?
mverrilli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fixed a lot of my problems. Python programs are working perfectly, java programs are well... not working, but getting further along than what they were. I'll post a second thread on my java issue.

By the way, for forum's search engine's sake, I was getting a Segmentation Fault in python whenever running programs that used wxPython. And in java, I was getting exceptions all over the place (missing classes, TargetInvocationException, etc).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: