building my own execute-from-cdrom-only distro
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: building my own execute-from-cdrom-only distro Reply with quote

im thinking of building my own mini distro. I would like to have a kind of cdrom-only distro that uses harddisk for logs and different spools (typical /var). Some config files should be on floppy, and all executables should be run from either a ram disk or from cdrom.

The idea is this: data on disk, executables on cdrom and config on floppy. The floppy can be write protected, so it may be possible to just turn off and on the computer to restore to a working configuration, but having logs on disk so its possible to find out what happened after a crash/reboot.

I wonder if gentoo's livecd is a good base to start with for this? I do have something like this running already based on bering, but It does not allow me to run things directly from cdrom without exctracting a package to ram first and its pretty timeconsuming to build packages and build everything from scratch - thats why I would prefer gentoo

Im thinking of mounting /usr/local on a ram disk and having binary packages that dynamically can be added runtime, even if the base i runned from cdrom. Im thinking of the tbz2 binary packages for this, but i cannot find out if its possible to automatically run a script after installing a tbz2 package (like debian).

Is it possible to install tbz2 packages directly from network?

Any links to documentation for this? docs for livecd? docs for binary packages in gentoo?
pYrania
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the bootable gentoo cd, you should checkout app-admin/livecd-ng and its documentation (even on the forums, just search for it)

hm but, you said you'd like to install binary packages directly, so you might also consider using debian. (of course you can also use binaries, compiled by another machine and distributed over network.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: