View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monsm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Gnome 2.24 Reply with quote

Hi,
I noticed Gnome 2.24 is out : http://library.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/2.24/

I was just thinking of cleaning up my package.keywords file after Gnome 2.22 is becoming stable, but am I right in thinking Gnome 2.24 will soon be in ~x86 with nice yellow colours on the portage packages site?
Looks like there are several new features I'd be interested in, in the new version.

Mons

Made topic sticky. -- desultory
Unstuck and split everything from the appearance of GNOME 2.26 to a new sticky. --timeBandit
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping to finish the work of getting it into portage over the weekend, but no promises. Also because the work is still ongoing some unexpected issues that might delay this might turn up, but lets hope for the best :)
Ic3M4n
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monsm wrote:
will soon be in ~x86 with nice yellow colours on the portage packages site?

I think you'll see some red colours for a while. btw if you're impatient to see what's new there's the new ebuilds in the gnome overlay.
monsm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work guys. I'll wait for it to turn yellow in portage I think. I am busy trying to setup Gentoo on another box using the liveCD at the moment. Only network connection is an ACX wireless card...

Mons
phaseburn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leio,

Thanks for your hard work with this. I'm looking forward to it hitting ~amd64 myself, though once the official ebuilds are in there and in package.mask I'll probably unmask 'em myself...

Cheers!
kierans
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the chances of fixes to all the automounting issues in 2.22 being in 2.24?? This may be an upstream question but I'm wondering what Gentoo devs have to say.
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Automounting is provided by nautilus since 2.22, so you need to have it managing your desktop or running.
I don't exactly agree with that, being someone who doesn't use nautilus for file management and having the desktop never visible as all workspaces carry maximized windows and therefore not running nautilus.
gnome-volume-manager wasn't stripped of the code, but just disabled by default, so if you are someone who doesn't use nautilus you can install gnome-volume-manager with the automount USE flag. However if you do that and then happen to have a nautilus instance at some point of time going again and attach something at that time, you'll get two nautilus windows, etc...

If this nautilus/gnome-volume-manager automount code duplication isn't what you are referring to, then I have no idea what automounting problems you have in mind exactly.
makism
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh god. i synced the "gnome" overlay a while ago, and there were like a gillion ebuilds versioned "2.24.0" :-)
thank you Leio for your hard work.
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other team members are to thank for that. I've basically not worked on 2.24 at all in overlay due to not getting around to upgrading yet due to time issues and taking care of 2.22 from the availble free time. Now I'm just working on getting these into portage tree proper.
kierans
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you probably have read in some of the posts regarding Nautilus' taking over the automounting in 2.22; it hasn't been doing the greatest job, hence people needing to emerge the gnome-volume-manager with the automount USE flag. My query is more to do with Nautlilus actually doing automounting properly so that all the hassles go away.
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kierans wrote:
As you probably have read in some of the posts regarding Nautilus' taking over the automounting in 2.22;

I don't really read or check the forum all that often, mostly just around GNOME release times to see what the state of the matter is besides bug reports that do get to bugzilla...
kierans wrote:
it hasn't been doing the greatest job, hence people needing to emerge the gnome-volume-manager with the automount USE flag. My query is more to do with Nautlilus actually doing automounting properly so that all the hassles go away.

That I wouldn't know yet (as I don't have 2.24 myself even yet, and I really don't use CDs, DVDs or USB sticks all that often to experience without testing a specific report), you'll have to try out 2.24 once it's in portage (or from overlay if you can't wait 1-2 days [optimistically]), but if there are problems, I hope you are tracking and providing necessary information in the relevant bug reports, or filing new bug reports if there aren't any for some specific automounting problem
aVirulence
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also looking forward to the inclusion of gnome 2.24 in portage!

I used to use the gnome overlay, but for me there are too many problems (trying to merge two versions in one slot or something similar) and incompatibilities.. It's too bad that Gentoo isn't the distribution with the fastest new package inclusion.

(BTW. this was merely a statement, not a criticism, since I really, really appreciate the work people put into this!)
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aVirulence wrote:
It's too bad that Gentoo isn't the distribution with the fastest new package inclusion.

I'm actually not sure how this can be the case. Do we really lag behind 4 months in some cases or what? Let me explain -- most other distros, specifically most of the popular binary ones, have full releases, with dist-upgrade and everything. So basically yes, you do have GNOME-2.24 in your Ubuntu Intrepid and your F10 beta (just bringing GNOME as an example here), but that's the same in state (beta) than the GNOME overlay is. Normal users use proper releases, and that's stable tree in Gentoo, and proper releases in Ubuntu and Fedora and the like (I'd argue that in Ubuntus case their release at first month is pretty much like our ~arch regarding stability...).
Now GNOME as an example is something that aligns well with the binary distros - they schedule their timely releases around GNOME releases, every six months, a certain almost constant time after GNOME release they release. Now what happens with all the other stuff meanwhile? You rarely get non-bug fix upgrades for anything. You have some kind of a backports repo in case of Ubuntu that gets some updates, but always when I see people asking for some package in some upstream project IRC channel we find it doesn't exist there and the only way to get it is to upgrade to the development version that is in a great flux, while in Gentoo it's even in stable tree... three months before that binary distros development cycle becomes a proper stable release...

Anyhow, I guess this is off-topic here :)
aVirulence
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply! You are right about the fact that Gentoo provides updates (and newer versions) much quicker than the usual 6 months release cycle. But, like on Gentoo, a lot of people are using the Beta version of other distributions as their standard system. IMO these are also very much up to date and provide a basic amount of stability.

I have to admit that I still get the feeling that the packages provided in the Beta versions of other distributions are easier to install. However, I might try to get the gnome overlay to work for me again. Usually unmasking software with autounmask does the trick, but I'm always afraid I don't get the latest version there has been an update and that I get REALLY unstable versions if I use the -n feature. Ah well. Enough about this, as I said before, I don't really want to criticize you or the other developers. I've been using gentoo for more than 4 years now, and I still love it!

On topic: I'm really looking forward to tab support in Nautilus and I'm looking forward to give Empathy another try. I guess for me, the interface needs a bit more work: I don't like the icons (they look old, very old) and the chat view isn't really eye-candy providing either..
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

empathy 2.24 is already in the ~arch tree - not much activity in the UI front though. But you might want to try out different chat window themes, there are a few
aVirulence
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leio wrote:
empathy 2.24 is already in the ~arch tree - not much activity in the UI front though. But you might want to try out different chat window themes, there are a few

I just noticed! I found on the Empathy website that they're working on supporting Adium themes (probably the chat themes). Icon theme support is also in the works, according to people at their IRC channel!
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, lots of work going on in branches and the like. I meant 2.24 didn't have much activity on the UI compared to say 0.23.3. We are quite likely to carry upcoming 2.25 feature development cycle versions in ~arch in portage tree if it's possible (deps and stuff)
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to the xrandr front-end. I hope it gets to the stable tree (the current grandr (I guess it's the same thing, only newer version) is still *amd64) soon - maybe it will allow me to have the second display always as primary gnome desktop (with toolbars on it etc.).
aVirulence
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szczerb wrote:
I'm really looking forward to the xrandr front-end. I hope it gets to the stable tree (the current grandr (I guess it's the same thing, only newer version) is still *amd64) soon - maybe it will allow me to have the second display always as primary gnome desktop (with toolbars on it etc.).

I think the xrandr 1.2 part doesn't work on the proprietary NVIDIA drivers.. That's too bad.
Fran
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything working fine here from the overlay. I only had 2 problems: gnome-appets-2.24.0.1 trying to create /root/.gconf/.test.writeability (and thus causing a sandbox violation), "fixed" with FEATURES="-sandbox"; and pango-1.21 failing to compile with cairo 1.8.0, fixed by creating a pango-1.22.0 ebuild. hamster-applet didn't compile either, but I don't need it anyway.

Well, actually I use a simplified gnome metapackage, so some of these packages might also fail:
Code:

diff /usr/local/portage/layman/gnome/gnome-base/gnome/gnome-2.24.0.ebuild gnome-custom-2.24.0.ebuild
58d57
<    >=gnome-extra/bug-buddy-2.24.0
71,73d69
<    >=media-sound/sound-juicer-2.24.0
<    >=dev-libs/totem-pl-parser-2.24.0
<    >=media-video/totem-2.24.0
77d72
<    >=www-client/epiphany-2.24.0.1
96,97d90
<    >=gnome-extra/deskbar-applet-2.24.0
<    >=gnome-extra/hamster-applet-2.24.0
111,112d103
<    >=dev-python/gnome-python-desktop-2.22.0
<    >=gnome-extra/gnome-games-2.24.0
120,121d110
<    >=gnome-extra/gnome-user-docs-2.24.0
<    >=gnome-extra/yelp-2.24.0
130,139d118
<    >=gnome-extra/gtkhtml-3.24.0
<    >=mail-client/evolution-2.24.0
<    >=gnome-extra/evolution-data-server-2.24.0
<    >=gnome-extra/evolution-webcal-2.24.0
<
<
<
<    >=gnome-extra/fast-user-switch-applet-2.22.0
<
<    >=app-admin/pessulus-2.24.0
147d125
<    !ppc64? ( >=gnome-extra/gnome-power-manager-2.24.0 )
150,152d127
<    >=net-misc/vino-2.24.0
<    >=net-misc/vinagre-2.24.0
<

Thanks for the good work :)
Devport
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Does anybody know how to set compiz as default wm ? I read somewhere that this is now supported by GNOME in a sane way again.
- gksu doesnt work for me with GNOME 2.24 - can anyone confirm / deny this ?

- Note that gdm 2.24 will prevent using consoles ( e.g. ALT-F1) since it does not daemonize anymore ( see bug https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=550170 )
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setting WINDOW_MANAGER=compiz somewhere in the env before logging into gnome-session used to work, but I vaguely recall someone doing the gnome-session rewrite spreading hate towards gnome-wm, so it might not work anymore in current overlay 2.24, not sure offhand.
We will not ship gdm-2.24, at least not at first, and stay at gdm-2.20 in portage. gdm-2.24 looses too many features and doesn't look too mature yet.
EvaSDK
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for issues with nautilus and automouting, please please, harass upstream, I myself am not satisfied with the current situation which is imho a big regression to what nautilus was before but as I don't have enough time to try and fix it...

for gdm 2.24, please pretty please, don't unmask stuff that is masked in the overlay unless you really know what you are up to. Stuff in the overlay is already experimental and stuff that is masked in overlay is masked for a _very_ _good_ reason. Thanks for understanding.
Devport
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gdm 2.24 works just fine here ... I just wanted to warn others so that they know what to expect...
Ray ishido
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

sorry, I don't understand, does gnome 2.24 will be in portage soon or will it stay in the overlay until stabilized?
btw thanks to the developers for their great job! :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: