View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a couple of days, I will try the Metro Project from the Gentoo creator.

It says that this little program will create a Stage or a LiveCD almost automagically :P
zaccret
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vitae wrote:

Your LiveCD creator == emerge catalyst

adapt one of the *.spec files to your need (useflags, stage, arch) and run catalyst -f your.spec

I tried it this weekend. It is not so difficult ;)

Wow... sorry I never tried catalyst. I was thinking of a way to reproduce the Gentoo experience in a LiveCD, that is to say having a lot of choices. If I understand what you say, you can at least choose use flags and arch with catalyst. I think it would also be nice to be able to choose dektop env or/and CFLAGS or/and pre-defined set of packages.

By the way, it could also be an idea for Gentoo Store : providing a web wizard to customize and purchase your LiveCD.
F_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sudden outbreak of common sense.

:roll:
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaccret wrote:
By the way, it could also be an idea for Gentoo Store : providing a web wizard to customize and purchase your LiveCD.

How can Gentoo do that ? Yeah, I want a core2 CFLAG with theses Use flag and by the way I want a Stage 2 archive. Then I click go and I wait 30 seconds for the download to start.

Maybe in a perfect world, but not in this one for sure :P
srunni
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
I want a core2 CFLAG
It's in GCC 4.3.
zaccret
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
zaccret wrote:

How can Gentoo do that ? Yeah, I want a core2 CFLAG with theses Use flag and by the way I want a Stage 2 archive. Then I click go and I wait 30 seconds for the download to start.

Maybe in a perfect world, but not in this one for sure :P

I was thinking about the store. You don't download the CD, you pay and they send it later. But maybe it's too complex, you may be right. This is just a brainstorm :-)
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srunni wrote:
d2_racing wrote:
I want a core2 CFLAG
It's in GCC 4.3.

Of course :P
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaccret wrote:
I was thinking about the store. You don't download the CD, you pay and they send it later. But maybe it's too complex, you may be right. This is just a brainstorm :-)

The only alternative that I see is that you can use a relatively custom Stages using the Stages from Funtoo.org

He has a core2 stages and other too.
gforum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
zaccret wrote:

The only alternative that I see is that you can use a relatively custom Stages using the Stages from Funtoo.org

He has a core2 stages and other too.

and dont forget zen-sources, gotta have the zen-sources kernel/source files. :D
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gforum wrote:
That is not likely in the near term.
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
gforum wrote:

That guide still talks about ck-sources :?
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
Phlogiston wrote:
desultory wrote:
gforum wrote:

That guide still talks about ck-sources :?

Did you not bother to read the chapter heading?

Oops, I'm sorry!
Quote:

Quote:
Previously provided kernel packages

We keep the list for historical reasons. It's nice to have a complete list of kernels, past and present.

On a related note, several of Con Kolivas' patches found their way into the mainline eventually. Yes, ck-sources is gone, but his work lives on.

Yes I know that... and others are still ported (for example in zen-sources I believe).
volyrkr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: What can I help with? Reply with quote

What can I help with to assist in weekly builds?
kaibutsu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: great idea, friends. Reply with quote

I whole-heartedly support this idea. Good, reasonably up-to-date stages are far more important to me than the live-cd, which I dabbled with once or twice but never really used.

One thing I would like to see (and would be willing to take on myself) is a how-to on system cloning in the doc pages, and perhaps linked directly from the install documentation. I've been using gentoo on the desktop for 4 years now, and would consider it very useful to have my own restroe CD's, built for my particular machines.

Best,
-kaib
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, read this thread : https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-534039-highlight-stage.html

You can burn the tar.bz2 image and then you can restore it from a DVD or a CD or even and USB hdd.
zaccret
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Robbins has released Metro : http://blog.funtoo.org/2008/10/metro-released.html
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, we are using it a Gentoo-Quebec.org and we have the project to release the first fr_CA stages precompiled of all time :P
znmeb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: [NEWS] New release strategy to provide more current medi Reply with quote

dberkholz wrote:
This forums thread is for discussion of the www.gentoo.org posting, "New release strategy to provide more current install media." Post your comments and suggestions here.
Quote:
In future releases, Gentoo will focus on a more back-to-basics approach that will give you up-to-date install media on a regular basis and make much better use of our human resources. We're looking into automated weekly builds of the minimal CDs and stage tarballs as well as maybe an annual LiveCD release. We will keep you updated as we decide on the details of this new approach.

Consequently, we're canceling the 2008.1 release. The release engineering team has to reconsider its priorities—we overstretched our human resources during the prolonged 2008.0 release process. This caused too much stress for our release engineers and multiple postponements of the release.

You can help! The release engineering team is looking for new volunteers because it perpetually has a severe lack of manpower. We are particularly looking for people with a good grasp of ebuild development and the ability to debug/fix problems that crop up during building and testing of the stage tarballs and ISO images. We will update the staffing needs page with more details.

Well ... I'm a little disappointed, but I understand. I do think Gentoo needs an installer, but not LiveCDs or LiveDVDs. The installer doesn't have to be fancy -- the Debian network installer is simple and robust and works just fine in text mode, for example. But I think you need something a little easier to do than "manually partition the disks with cfdisk, unpack the stage3 tarball and Portage tree by hand from the command line, configure everything by hand and do a kernel build."
http://www.borasky-research.net/
srunni
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: [NEWS] New release strategy to provide more current medi Reply with quote

znmeb wrote:
Well ... I'm a little disappointed, but I understand. I do think Gentoo needs an installer, but not LiveCDs or LiveDVDs. The installer doesn't have to be fancy -- the Debian network installer is simple and robust and works just fine in text mode, for example. But I think you need something a little easier to do than "manually partition the disks with cfdisk, unpack the stage3 tarball and Portage tree by hand from the command line, configure everything by hand and do a kernel build."
Well, this is the whole point of Gentoo. We are not trying to be Debian and make the install easy. The install procedure is not difficult for the sake of being difficult---it is difficult because that is the only way to allow maximum customizability. If you know exactly what you want, I would wager to say Gentoo's really not any more difficult to install than Debian.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: [NEWS] New release strategy to provide more current medi Reply with quote

[quote="srunni"]
znmeb wrote:
If you know exactly what you want, I would wager to say Gentoo's really not any more difficult to install than Debian.

In fact, but you need to know what you are doing :P
Xake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say I was never that happy with the installer my self, it had/have a *lot* of limitations.
And to say it was easier then installing gentoo by hand I think I disagree about.
But still.
I liked my LiveUSB with a install template on my test-system.
Plug it in, fire up the installer. And you would come back with a system ready to use.
Yes, I know that I can do the same with some scripts and/or some bash-magic. But then I had to write the bash-magic.
With the installer I could install a test-system, save the template, break the system in all kind of ways, purge the drive and reinstall using the template and have the same test-system to do new experiments with.

Is there any ETA for when the first weekly LiveCD-build will be upon us?
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think getting back to basics is a great idea :)

Keeping things simple is a great way and IMHO writing a decent scriptable command line installer is a better way forward for Gentoo. We don't need to copy the other distributions by having a GUI for installations do we? I've never done an installation via the offical gentoo installer as I find the command line interaction is what makes gentoo better than the rest?

Xake wrote:

I'm sure the next release of a Gentoo Monthly Newsletter will tell all?
BTW, are there any plans to resume the release of the Newsletter?

I think in getting back to basics a priority should also be on opening up the lines of communication and informing the community more often.
After all an informed community is a happy community :D
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard.scott wrote:
I think in getting back to basics a priority should also be on opening up the lines of communication and informing the community more often.

I agree, which is why I stepped up to be the Release Engineering Team's PR liaison. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me, and I will try to find out.

Xake wrote:

There is no set ETA. Currently the automatic building system is being tested and refined. The impression is that "we're almost there". So I expect the first public builds to be available before the end of the year.
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
richard.scott wrote:

I agree, which is why I stepped up to be the Release Engineering Team's PR liaison. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me, and I will try to find out.

Xake wrote:

There is no set ETA. Currently the automatic building system is being tested and refined. The impression is that "we're almost there". So I expect the first public builds to be available before the end of the year.

That's fantastic news on both the update and you stepping up to help out!
It would be great to have updated cd's for the Christmas/New Year Holiday time off work :wink:

Talking of helping out.... I'm currently reading through the Gentoo Developer Handbook to see if/where I can sign up and help :-)

All I need to do now is think of a cool developer user name :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: