View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robfish
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a newbie too so not so good with some answers.
All I know is that I had a working 2.4 system (with nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx) then I upgraded to the new kernel, emerged the nvidia packages, made no changes to my X configuration and it just works.
ChickensDontFly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Xterms and 2.6 kernel Reply with quote

chinesebob wrote:
To get my Xterms to work I had to enable "Unix98 PTY Support" and "/dev/pts" as well as devfs and add this line to my /etc/fstab

none /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0

Thanks bob. My terms didn't work (even after enabling PTY support and /dev/pts) until I put that line in my fstab.

I got my nvidia drivers working by making a symlink pointing to the new kernel, emerged nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel, then replaced "nv" with "nviida" in /etc/modules.autload. (In that order)
dkaplowitz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, thank you for the informative post.

I followed the instructions, but am new enough that I may have missed something important.

I did an
Code:
emerge gentoo-dev-sources

Then cd'ed into /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-gentoo-r1 and did a
Code:
make menu config.

I left that all defaults, as nothing looked to wildly different from what I was running in 2.4.22.

Code:
make && make modules_install

Then I did a

Code:
make install

I copied over .config from /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-gentoo-r1 to /boot and named it something unique and I did the same with System.map (though I over-wrote the existing system map in my /boot after backing it up to another directory).

I checked /boot and had the following:

Code:

total 4724
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root         1024 Jan  4 15:06 .
drwxr-xr-x   20 root     root          488 Jan  4 14:52 ..
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           26 Jan  4 15:06 System.map -> System.map-2.6.0-gentoo-r1
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       638305 Dec 26 16:42 System.map-2.4.22-gentoo-r1
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       843173 Jan  4 15:11 System.map-2.6.0-gentoo-r1
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           22 Jan  4 15:06 config -> config-2.6.0-gentoo-r1
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        24436 Dec 26 16:42 config-2.4.22
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        23870 Jan  4 15:11 config-2.6.0-gentoo-r1
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         1024 Jan  4 15:16 grub
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      1516029 Dec 26 16:42 kernel-2.4.22-gentoo-r1
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           23 Jan  4 15:06 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.0-gentoo-r1
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      1758529 Jan  4 15:06 vmlinuz-2.6.0-gentoo-r1

I edited my /boot/grub/grub.conf to look like this:

Code:

default 0
timeout 10
splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Like a MuhhFuhhh!
root (hd1,0)
kernel (hd1,0)/kernel-2.4.22-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/hdb3

title=Gentoo 2.6
root (hd1,0)
kernel (hd1,0)/vmlinuz-2.6.0-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/hdb3

title=Windows XP Professional
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

When I try booting into the new menu choice, Gentoo 2.6, I'm getting a
Code:
 Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on hdb3

Can anyone give me an idea of what simple thing(s) I missed to cause this problem?

Booting back into 2.4.22 has everything working just fine.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try running "make menuconfig" and configuring it.
jBilbo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jBilbo wrote:
sdriesner wrote:

Any ideas? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

To solve the (kernel panic) VFS: unable to mount fs hdX you should enable:
Code:

File Systems --> Partition Types -->
[*] Advanced partition selection
[*]   PC BIOS (MSDOS partition tables) support

try it
dkaplowitz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viperlin wrote:
try running "make menuconfig" and configuring it.

Sorry... that was a typo in my post. I did run make menuconfig.
dkaplowitz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkaplowitz wrote:
Can anyone give me an idea of what simple thing(s) I missed to cause this problem?

Dave

My bad. I didn't notice the first time that reiserfs support was not enabled in the kernel config that I made. The partition / (/dev/hdb3) is reiserfs. It came up but I'm getting a DEVFS error. I will have to figure out what that means. For the time being, I have successfully booted into my first 2.6 kernel.

Thanks for the help, ppl.

Dave
DigitMachine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: 2.6 upgrade problem Reply with quote

I am having a problem with getting modules loaded. The kernel boots and cannot find the modules. Modprobe and modconf cannot see modules either. I think this part of the syslog might have something to do with it.

Jan 4 23:41:04 digit kernel: Cannot find map file.
Jan 4 23:41:04 digit kernel: No module symbols loaded - kernel modules not enabled.
Jan 4 23:41:04 digit kernel: Linux version 2.6.0-gentoo (root@digit) (gcc version 3.2.3 030422 (Gentoo Linux 1.4 3.2.3-r3, propolice)) #1 Sun Jan 4 22:21:07 EST 2004

I made sure to copy System.map from /usr/src/linux to /boot. I made sure to upgrade module-init-tools before installing.
If anyone has a suggestion, I appriciate it.
gonna
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

dkaplowitz wrote:

My bad. I didn't notice the first time that reiserfs support was not enabled in the kernel config that I made. The partition / (/dev/hdb3) is reiserfs. It came up but I'm getting a DEVFS error. I will have to figure out what that means. For the time being, I have successfully booted into my first 2.6 kernel.

You need to enable support for devfs in your kernel ...

Code:
 "File systems" -> "Pseudo filesystems" -> "/dev file system support (OBSOLETE)"

Greg :)
dkaplowitz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gonna wrote:
Hi Dave,

[snip]

You need to enable support for devfs in your kernel ...

Code:
 "File systems" -> "Pseudo filesystems" -> "/dev file system support (OBSOLETE)"

Greg :)

Thanks. I tried to avoid it but couldn't escape it. It's there now and adding it helped with some other odd things that were going on without it.
jbuberel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: My Experience Reply with quote

Just a quick note on the KDE/arts problem with 2.6- You do not need to ditch alsa and use the OSS drivers. All you need to do is configure the KDE arts daemon to use ALSA as it's output mechanism, and the hissing/screeching/audio problems will likely go away.

To do this within KDE:

Open the 'Settings' item on your taskbar or K menu. Select 'Sound and Multimedia' -> Sound System -> click on 'Sound I/O' tab -> then from the 'Sound I/O method' pull-down menu, select 'Advanced Linux Sound Architecture'.

Doing this solved all KDE-related audio problems for me under 2.6.1

gle wrote:

Once I ditched Alsa in favor of OSS I almost had audio working. It might be possible to recompile aRts, esd, KDE, and whatever else uses audio to make Alsa work. However, that would take so much more time than simply compiling the emu10k1 OSS module and I don't see there being much benefit in the near future. If there is something I am missing here, please let me know.
jbuberel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: My Experience Reply with quote

Just a quick note on the KDE/arts problem with 2.6- You do not need to ditch alsa and use the OSS drivers. All you need to do is configure the KDE arts daemon to use ALSA as it's output mechanism, and the hissing/screeching/audio problems will likely go away.

To do this within KDE:

Open the 'Settings' item on your taskbar or K menu. Select 'Sound and Multimedia' -> Sound System -> click on 'Sound I/O' tab -> then from the 'Sound I/O method' pull-down menu, select 'Advanced Linux Sound Architecture'.

Doing this solved all KDE-related audio problems for me under 2.6.1

gle wrote:

Once I ditched Alsa in favor of OSS I almost had audio working. It might be possible to recompile aRts, esd, KDE, and whatever else uses audio to make Alsa work. However, that would take so much more time than simply compiling the emu10k1 OSS module and I don't see there being much benefit in the near future. If there is something I am missing here, please let me know.
R!tman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article, I will try this next weekend. Thanks.
pathose
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Questions Reply with quote

OK, maybe these are off-topic, but they seem to relate (IMHO) to the kernel-2.6 switch.

q1: Why does Gentoo use devfs? My understanding is that devfs simply manages your hdd locations and their references (/dev/ide/...). Not sure if I'm correct though. :)

q2: Devfs has become obselete in the 2.6-series kernels -- why? Is this better handled by the kernel now?

q3: If devfs is obselete, and no longer needed in the 2.6 kernels, would a Gentoo system running a 2.6 kernel still require devfs support in the kernel and the devfs daemon?

q4: If the aforementioned is true, what do I need to do to my system so as to not use devfs? I've started a clean install with a 2004.0 test tarball using gentoo-dev-sources (2.6.1). Am I going to hit a big bump in my road ahead because of something not in the current docs?

::ducks::
I appologize if my questions seem uneducated; I'm trying to stamp out my ignorance.

-n
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed all the instructions and I was able to configure my new kernel, but then I had a problem. When I tried to copy the bzImage into /boot everything still "seemed" to work out fine. But then I run /sbin/lilo to update my boot loader and it says that it couldn't find the specified kernel. I found out that I had to "mount /boot" before I could copy the bzImage and other files into /boot. Is this normal? I thought you didn't have to mount /boot! :?: :?:

Edit: I also have the same questions as the post above mine. What's this whole business about DEVFS being obsolete, but then it gives you an error message! :!:
razamatan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Questions Reply with quote

all these aren't gentoo specific... nearly everyone on any linux distro still needs /dev around still... it's being deprecated in favor of a userland devfs system (udevfs)... fact is, udevfs is still being developed, so it's not all ready to replace devfs... also, stuff needs devfs around for our current software that isn't religiously maintained...

more info if you google: kernel devfs

pathose wrote:
OK, maybe these are off-topic, but they seem to relate (IMHO) to the kernel-2.6 switch.

q1: Why does Gentoo use devfs? My understanding is that devfs simply manages your hdd locations and their references (/dev/ide/...). Not sure if I'm correct though. :)

q2: Devfs has become obselete in the 2.6-series kernels -- why? Is this better handled by the kernel now?

q3: If devfs is obselete, and no longer needed in the 2.6 kernels, would a Gentoo system running a 2.6 kernel still require devfs support in the kernel and the devfs daemon?

q4: If the aforementioned is true, what do I need to do to my system so as to not use devfs? I've started a clean install with a 2004.0 test tarball using gentoo-dev-sources (2.6.1). Am I going to hit a big bump in my road ahead because of something not in the current docs?

::ducks::
I appologize if my questions seem uneducated; I'm trying to stamp out my ignorance.

-n

RioFL
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions Reply with quote

razamatan wrote:
all these aren't gentoo specific... nearly everyone on any linux distro still needs /dev around still... it's being deprecated in favor of a userland devfs system (udevfs)... fact is, udevfs is still being developed, so it's not all ready to replace devfs... also, stuff needs devfs around for our current software that isn't religiously maintained...

-n

I just moved to 2.6.1 yesterday, compiled without devfs support, and with the exception of the boot script warning that gentoo requires devfs, absolutely everything I run/have is working properly except sensors which I am tackling next (they did not include the lm80 that I need), and my quickcam module which will not compile (expected).

all of my devices work, my nvidia driver works, and in fact I can notice a much improved video performance and appearance over older kernels.

I don't know what in gentoo could absolutely require devfs besides what the compile-time instructions say to enable for tty/pty support.

The only thing I notice as a potential problem is a very long pause when I switch between mail folders in KMail. This occurs randomly both with and without devfs enabled and only in 2.6.x, not in 2.4.22.

Chuck
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy_fila wrote:
I followed all the instructions and I was able to configure my new kernel, but then I had a problem. When I tried to copy the bzImage into /boot everything still "seemed" to work out fine. But then I run /sbin/lilo to update my boot loader and it says that it couldn't find the specified kernel. I found out that I had to "mount /boot" before I could copy the bzImage and other files into /boot. Is this normal? I thought you didn't have to mount /boot! :?: :?:

My problem has evolved into something even stranger!

Without mounting /boot I get the following:

Code:
ls -a /boot
.  ..  .keep  System.map-2.6.1  boot  config-2.6.1  kernel-2.6.1

When I mount /boot I get the following:

Code:
ls -a /boot
.                            boot         chain.b                  map
..                           boot-bmp.b   config-2.6.1             mbr.b
.keep                        boot-menu.b  initrd-2.4.20-gentoo-r6  os2_d.b
System.map                   boot-text.b  kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r6
System.map-2.4.20-gentoo-r6  boot.0300    kernel-2.6.1
System.map-2.6.1             boot.b       lost+found

I don't understand what is going on here. Why are some of the files only there when I mount /boot? Someone please explain!
RioFL
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy_fila wrote:
tommy_fila wrote:

My problem has evolved into something even stranger!

Without mounting /boot I get the following:

Code:
ls -a /boot
.  ..  .keep  System.map-2.6.1  boot  config-2.6.1  kernel-2.6.1

When I mount /boot I get the following:

Code:
ls -a /boot
.                            boot         chain.b                  map
..                           boot-bmp.b   config-2.6.1             mbr.b
.keep                        boot-menu.b  initrd-2.4.20-gentoo-r6  os2_d.b
System.map                   boot-text.b  kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r6
System.map-2.4.20-gentoo-r6  boot.0300    kernel-2.6.1
System.map-2.6.1             boot.b       lost+found

I don't understand what is going on here. Why are some of the files only there when I mount /boot? Someone please explain!

/boot is a subdirectory on your root. Any subdirectory can become a mount point for another partition. Therefore, /boot accepts data on the root partition whenever it is not mounted. Mounting boot when you have data 'in' it on the root partition causes the directory named boot to be redirected and attached to the hard disk device partition you assigned it effectively 'hiding' the data that was in it on the root device.

The reason a kernel was in there was because you ran make install without mounting /boot first. A simple habit to get into is immediately after running menuconfig, before any makes are done, mount /boot.. you do not have to remember to unmount it when you are done. the reboot process will take care of that for you.

Chuck
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I understand now. Last question:

So without mounting /boot, if I erase the entries for the kernel-2.6.1 it shouldn't matter because it will still be there once I mount /boot and then look for it. Did I get that right? :?:
RioFL
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy_fila wrote:
Ok, I think I understand now. Last question:

So without mounting /boot, if I erase the entries for the kernel-2.6.1 it shouldn't matter because it will still be there once I mount /boot and then look for it. Did I get that right? :?:

yes and no :) it is correct that without mounting boot, you may erase entries inside boot as with any normal subdirectory of the / and it will not affect data on the unmounted device that boot points to when mounted.

however, the kernel data will not automatically be on the mounted /boot partition unless you ran make install once again after mounting /boot.. think of the /boot name as a 2-way switch. datastreams are pointed to the / partition on (for argument) /dev/hda3. after flicking the switch to boot's mount device effectively mounting /boot onto (again for argument) /dev/hda1 data is directed to that other partition of the hard drive and is no longer sent to the spot that /boot rests in on /.

i see by your code entries in the earlier message that kernel 2.6.1 does live in the mounted partition as well, so yes. it will still be there after you delete the unmounted boot data.
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thank you very much for your help! I was very confused about all of the mounting business! :? But now I seem to understand it! :D

I think the guide on the first page should mention that you have to mount /boot. For experienced users this might be routine, but new comers like me might have problems!

Thanks again RioFL for your help!
RioFL
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy_fila wrote:
Great! Thank you very much for your help! I was very confused about all of the mounting business! :? But now I seem to understand it! :D

I think the guide on the first page should mention that you have to mount /boot. For experienced users this might be routine, but new comers like me might have problems!

Thanks again RioFL for your help!

No problem :) Even though keeping /boot unmounted is a bit confusing at first, and to my knowlege gentoo is the only distro that does it, it makes a lot of sense. the true boot partition is then protected from crashes, file corruption, etc.

I agree it should be. I also firmly believe it should be the very first statement in the makefile as a reminder with a deliberate press enter to continue prompt to allow us to quit and mount it if forgotten.
tactless
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screen (the app) programs with kernel 2.6.1... look here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=128645&highlight=

"If it wasn't for fog, the world would run at a really crappy framerate."

Jabber: tactless@amessage.info
pengo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just updated to 2.6 without a problem, but I'm not seeing ANY kind of improvements.

The system doesn't seem any faster and I still get audio lag from XMMS when I scroll in a webpage. Is there any way to make sure I'm running the 2.6 kernel? Should I recompile XMMS, or what?

BTW: I'm on a 1.4ghz Athlon XP w/ 512MB RAM.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: