Grub problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
remix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Grub problem Reply with quote

I just updated my entire system, (-uDN world) and everything is fine except my grub.

grub doesn't show up (but it works), i get a blank screen, and during the time when i can choose my OS or kernel, i can choose pressing up or down arrows blindly. then when the default kernel loads, my screen is garbled. i can barely make out the output, but gdm loads just fine, and my virtual terminals are perfect.

what kind of problem is this? and how can i fix it?

thanks.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boot splash image is no longer installed as part of sys-boot/grub, and the old behavior of aborting with an error message when it is missing has also been changed. To restore the splash image, mount /boot, if it is a separate partition, then copy /usr/share/grub/splash.xpm.gz to /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz. The next time the system is booted the splash image should be shown and the corruption of the fonts should no longer occur. The main benefit is that now you can use custom splash images in the default location without them conflicting with the splash image which comes with the package.

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Duplicate Threads, refer to topic "Grub menu is gone, but system boots anyway? [SOLVED]".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: