Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Announcing Pappy's Kernel Seeds. <closed, use new thread>
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25, 26, 27  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just uploaded .configs for 2.6.27.13 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Also uploaded the proper .27 x86_64 kernels. Ooops.

Blessed be!
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little late in making this announcement, but since the last emerge --sync, I've been dealing with getting GEM configured properly. Yes, that's right. For ~arch users, GEM has made it into portage. I'll discuss that in a moment.

As of 02-02-2009, I added .configs for 2.6.27.14 and 2.6.28.3 in both x86 and x86_64. I also fixed a minor error in 2.6.28-x86_64 through 2.6.28.2-x86_64. I think I'm finally zeroing in on how to produce seeds without so many mistakes. YAY!

Anyway, back to GEM. It is in portage with the addition of media-libs/mesa-7.3 and x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.6.1 last night (02-03-2009). And it works. I've been tweaking the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file for this machine (pappy-lap), and I think I finally am at a spot where I might be able to watch a DVD in Linux, at long last. Initially, things are looking good with Constantine, but I'll really know when I play Silence Of The Lambs. That's for later.

Also, for i915 and most likely >i915 video chips, you can now run the .28 kernel without noticeable errors. 2.6.28.3 has been up and running on this machine for over five hours, and I haven't had a problem, or any weird things going on.

No, I'm not pulling the nVidia card from core-too to see if it would have worked for that machine. Therefore, I will assume that it should work with >=i915 for you as well. Please let me know if this is the case or not. Thanks.

For those of you with =<i830, stick with .27 kernels. Gen-tosh will not start X with the .28 kernel. I'm going to post a bug report later.

That's the news from Pappy land.

Blessed be!
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when this happens! Before the official ebuilds have even hit the tree, but after my custom ebuilds hit my overlay, I was whipping up new .configs. That's right, before the portage source comes new .configs for 2.6.27.15 and 2.6.28.4 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

8)

Blessed be!
Pappy
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this is a good idea, maybe you would consider join the zen-sources team and make your kernel seeds as another zen project... I think it would complement our kernel work well....
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in that. I've never worked with the zen kernel, but since it's built on the vanilla kernel, I'm sure I could do something with it. I'd like to discuss this further, perhaps in private.

Blessed be!
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And once again, before portage even contains the source ebuilds, I just uploaded the .configs for 2.6.27.16 and 2.6.28.5 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Blessed be!
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portage beat me this round. However, the new .configs for 2.6.27.17 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors are ready to go. Enjoy!

Blessed be!
Pappy
lightning
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: couple of problems after use of pappy kernel seeds Reply with quote

Hi pappy, I finally decided to upgrade my kernel, so time to use your seed arrived. I can feel that performance is better then before, though some problems happened I can't solve.
Code:

odi@dm$ sudo /etc/init.d/mpd restart
 * Starting Music Player Daemon ...
problems shmget'ing                                                       [ !! ]

And SMPlayer shouts:
Code:

AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch floatle (4 bytes per sample)
ID_AUDIO_CODEC=mp3
Starting playback...
VDec: vo config request - 512 x 368 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
[swscaler @ 0x892fca0]No accelerated colorspace conversion found.
[swscaler @ 0x892fca0]using unscaled yuv420p -> rgb24 special converter
VO: [xv] 512x368 => 512x368 Planar YV12  [zoom]
X11 error: BadAccess during XSelectInput Call
X11 error: The 'ButtonPressMask' mask of specified window has probably already used by another appication (see man XSelectInput)
X11 error: MPlayer discards mouse control (reconfiguring)
X11 error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: decode_video
ID_SIGNAL=11
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.

the kenel config's here: http://www.pastebucket.net/c82iof

My hardware: P4 Prescott, ASUS P4P800 (Intel chip). Problems never appeared before. I migrated from 2.2.26-r4
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say you migrated, you mean that your original kernel was that version forever, correct? Therefore, you used a seed and added your devices. You didn't use make oldconfig to set up the new kernel, right?

If both are true, also send your original (as in the .26-r1), as well as the results of lspci -n and cat /proc/cpuinfo along with your /etc/fstab file, and I'll see what the problem might be. My first thought would be different ALSA version issues, but I don't want to make that emphatic statement without looking. Therefore, I'd have to look and compare your old and new setup.

Also, if you could, post your /var/log/dmesg with your working kernel and the new one as well.

I know that's a lot of info, but there've been a few changes in the kernel since your version. Also, since it is so much, please post it in a private message.

Thanks.

Blessed be!
Pappy
myceliv
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, Pappy, finally got around to trying one of your seeds, since a missing Makefile blocking a merge and outdated nvidia driver and ...

Well... finally had to get off my lazy butt and upgrade kernels...

And found your config was a much nicer base to work from than either make oldconfig or defaults! Very nice. Just to make sure, I diffed after customizing, with a make oldconfig version to make sure I'd not missed something important to get a kernel that would work on all my machines and hardware, and found it had been signifigantly easier than I'd gotten used to to get the config right.

Thanks! you rock!
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

myceliv,

Thanks for the kind words. It means a lot to me that the seeds are helpful. It is my mission to help the fight of ridding the world of Microsoft.

<soapbox> And even though the Redmond folk are helping us in the fight by continuously dropping goldleaf, bejeweled turds, it does the Linux world no good to have something as basic as the kernel be so elusive. </soapbox>

Thanks again for the kind words, especially, "your rock." Those words look so good together. 8)

Enough of the ego stroke, it's been a banner couple days for .configs. I'm practically swimming in code! I just uploaded .configs for 2.6.27.18, 2.6.28.6, and (at long last) 2.6.28-gentoo-r1. Almost a month since I got to put up a gentoo-source .config. Hmm.

Come and get 'em!

Blessed be!
Pappy
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying out the 2.6.28-r1 seed. I learned a few things about what to set just by looking at the seed. Things seem to be a little smoother/faster, although I'm still testing it. I ran into one major problem, though - video. Using the recommended i915 either as a module or in the kernel didn't work for me.

See this thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5489693.html#5489693

Did I do something wrong, or do I just have to stick with i810?
Discord: https://discord.gg/73XV24dNPN
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your device is an i810, then yes, you'll have to stick to it. Don't feel too bad. Gen-tosh has an I830 chip, and so far, the only kernels that work are in the .27 family. Any other version results in serious instability. Since there are a lot of .27 kernels out there, that shouldn't be too bitter a pill to swallow. I guess it's just a sign that it's time to think about retiring gen-tosh.

Blessed be!
Pappy
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's gen-tosh?

Question about choosing a seed: what's a good way to find out what kernel (and then what seed) would be best for a particular machine? I'm starting to think the .28 kernel is partly responsible for one of my machines being slow just 'cuz it's .28.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiodef wrote:
What's gen-tosh?

The name given to my old Toshiba laptop (Satellite 1005-s157). I use it for a backup system (if all others were to suddenly die, except it), and the Linux print server on a mixed OS LAN. I also have pappy-lap (Compaq C504US laptop), core-too( this machine; Asus P5GC-MX/1333, Core2 Duo @2.33 Ghz 4 Gigs RAM), and bam-bam (P-4 Dual-processor 32 bit, headless duplicate apache server).

Quote:
Question about choosing a seed: what's a good way to find out what kernel (and then what seed) would be best for a particular machine? I'm starting to think the .28 kernel is partly responsible for one of my machines being slow just 'cuz it's .28.

If your machine is all Intel, it's best to not use .28 kernels. I have had bad luck with all my Intel machines. Gen-tosh is most affected as I can't run any version greater than .27. At this point, I'm going with the general opinion that the .27 kernels are really the most stable versions to be using at this point in time. And from what I've seen, the bugzilla of kernel.org is a bit overloaded at the moment with .28 bugs.

I've personally tried most of the .27 kernels with the exception of the most recent ones. I was thinking of setting up gen-tosh with 2.6.27.18 since it's the most recent vanilla-source kernel. I'm pretty sure the old girl will run it as well as it's currently running 2.6.27.12.

Blessed be!
Pappy
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bam-bam - that made me giggle madly. :-P I've named my own machines after dead, white composers: Mozart, Beethoven and Bach so far. My GF has a laptop named Baku and a desktop named Junior. All Gentoo except Beethoven which is Windoze by necessity.

Thanks for the info, Pappy. I really appreciate it. I think I just have a couple of desktops with less-than-stellar CPU's (Celeron) and there ain't much I can do 'bout it. I am going to take your advice and stick with .27 kernels for those, though. Baku is a Centrino Duo and has been doing great with .28 (great with .28! Sounds like a catchy sales-phrase). I hope to replace my Beethoven audio workstation with Something Else (a Mac, maybe) at some point and then it will be my hot new dual-core Gentoo box. ;-)
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to name my computers after Roman gods. After I held my roommate's hand to get him using computers, he began calling his machines "fred" (fucked-up ridiculous electronic device). There was fred, fred-V and fred-II, which became bam-bam. I set up his lover's computer as wilma, so that started the flintstones thing. Bam-bam was an off the cuff name. I've considered calling it Ichabod since it runs mostly headless.

I don't think computers are like boats. I changed the name of this from debby-anne-II (it's original inception ran Debian...cheesy? You bet!) to core-too. I replaced everything but the hard drive. Therefore, I figured I could safely rename it. Since it's not a boat, I am not worried that I'm going to drown because I offended Poseidon.

Presently, the .29 kernels I've tried aren't too fond of gen-tosh, and it seems the feelings are mutual. I'm hoping that they iron out some of the bigger bugs when the .29 goes from rc to full release status. I'd love to see the the old machine working with full GEM support. I'm not holding my breath that it will happen, but according to someone in the know, there are lots of dri-patches yet to be tried.

Blessed be!
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost like a fire sale at kernel.org. Two days ago, they released 2.6.27.18 and 2.6.28.6. Just this evening, it's 2.6.27.19 and 2.6.28.7. Add to that 2.6.27-gentoo-r9 has been released, and it's a frickin' frackin' free for all! I have new .configs for all the above listed kernel versions. Shop 'til you drop!

I'm personally geeked on this one. I've been waiting for 2.6.27-gentoo-r9. It's time to give gen-tosh a new kernel that won't give it video heartburn. Yay!

Blessed be!
Pappy
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
It's time to give gen-tosh a new kernel that won't give it video heartburn.

Maybe she needs Pepcid A/V? :-P

I can NEVER resist a bad joke or a pun. :-P
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was pretty good. :)

Blessed be!
Pappy
thtroyer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah. This is excellent.

I've been compiling my kernel on a whim, and I get something workable/usable. Using Pappy's "seed", I replaced my kernel fairly easily, with everything actually working the first time (audio, SATA, iwl3945 wifi). :)

Beyond that, it shaved ~6 seconds off my boot time.
http://img3.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bootchart1.png
http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bootchart.png

Very nice. :)
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I aim to please! Good to hear I hit the mark!

Blessed be!
Pappy
Tariella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pappy,
I finally found the time to try one of your kernel seeds on my old laptop.
Unfortunately it won't boot - all I can see is a black screen and the laptop hangs. :(

I used your x86 2.6.28-r2 gentoo config, following the guide on your homepage.
cat /proc/cpuinfo
lspci -vv
new kernel config (adapted seed)
last working kernel config (2.6.27-gentoo-r2)

I'm sure I missed something important - please help.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tariella,

Try using only the VESA frame buffer or only the native (S3 UniChrome Pro) frame buffer, not both. You are probably running into some sort of driver conflict. If if that still doesn't get it, you'll have to write a bug report on the issue. I'm betting you could move to the latest and greatest .27 kernel, and get your full functionality back.

Blessed be!
Pappy
Tariella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I thought I could use both drivers and specify the one to use in the grub.conf. :oops:
Just wanted to try which of them worked better without rebuilding the kernel, lazy me.
I knew it must have been a stupid mistake on my side.

Thank you very much for pointing this out.
Sorry I did trouble you with something this trivial. The kernel is still a great big mystery for me.

I'll use your 2.6.27 kernel seed with only one fb driver and let you know how it works for me.

Thanks!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 5 of 27

Jump to: