View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hairshorts
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: VTWM Reply with quote

Does anyone else here run VTWM (http://www.visi.com/~hawkeyd/vtwm.html)? It wasn't in portage when I first started using Gentoo early this year, but I'm happy to see that it is now. It's very lightweight, speedy, and customizable, somewhat like FVWM but I find it more straightforward. It doesn't have multiple desktops, but rather one large virtual desktop that you can pan around. This feature is the one that makes me keep coming back to VTWM, since I find it so much nicer to be able to move freely around a large area than to keep track of separate desktops. Here's a screenshot of what my desktop looks like these days:
http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~sommena/screen10212003.jpg
NuclearFusi0n
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://kahakai.sf.net/ :D
Hairshorts
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuclearFusi0n wrote:

First of all, something's funny about the way kahakai compiles, because about halfway through it started eating 3/4 of my memory and swapping was out of control. Second of all, the documentation is still very lacking (understandable I guess since it's still version .5 or whatever, but still). I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to get it to move around the virtual desktop space, which apparently by default is 3x3 times bigger than the screen. If someone would tell me how to do that, I'd consider giving it a try.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: VTWM Reply with quote

Hairshorts wrote:
It doesn't have multiple desktops, but rather one large virtual desktop that you can pan around.

Yup, as does waimea/kahakai.. Perhaps it's not default in kahakai, but it certainly was default in waimea. I got confused by it at first when I lost my windows =)

Last edited by shm on Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
NuclearFusi0n
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairshorts wrote:
NuclearFusi0n wrote:

First of all, something's funny about the way kahakai compiles, because about halfway through it started eating 3/4 of my memory and swapping was out of control. Second of all, the documentation is still very lacking (understandable I guess since it's still version .5 or whatever, but still). I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to get it to move around the virtual desktop space, which apparently by default is 3x3 times bigger than the screen. If someone would tell me how to do that, I'd consider giving it a try.
hold alt+move mouse around.

edit .kahakai/userconfig.py to customize your viewport settings.
Hairshorts
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuclearFusi0n wrote:
hold alt+move mouse around.

edit .kahakai/userconfig.py to customize your viewport settings.

is that the only way to use the viewport? is there a way to scoot around the viewport without moving an entire screen size? or a way to see an interactive representation of the whole viewport in a smaller window? VTWM is the only window manager I've used so far that does those two things very well, but if kahakai can do it as well, that would make me happy. i really like some things about it, such as being able to use the scrollwheel on the title bars to raise and lower windows and the transparency stuff, and the scripting and config files look really powerful, but the documentation is lacking and i am lacking very much free time, so i don't think i'll try and wade through the workings of it on my own.

if you could tell me how to do the above two things i would be grateful, but if not i'm just going to stick with what i know :)
notHerbert
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VTWM Reply with quote

Hairshorts wrote:
Does anyone else here run VTWM? It wasn't in portage when I first started using Gentoo early this year, but I'm happy to see that it is now. It's very lightweight, speedy, and customizable, somewhat like FVWM but I find it more straightforward. It doesn't have multiple desktops, but rather one large virtual desktop that you can pan around. This feature is the one that makes me keep coming back to VTWM, since I find it so much nicer to be able to move freely around a large area than to keep track of separate desktops.

Yeah, I do. Real nice, but I find it's more like TWM than FVWM. It's nice to have a nice old-fashioned wm. :D
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VTWM Reply with quote

notHerbert wrote:
Yeah, I do. Real nice, but I find it's more like TWM than FVWM. It's nice to have a nice old-fashioned wm. :D

Which is possible to emulate in FVWM quite easily.

-- Thomas Adam
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, FVWM is so versatile, it's possible to emulate all window managers that existed around the time this thread was 1st created :lol:

But seriously, FVWM is awesome... I have it running on all my desktop machines these days.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: