Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Lenovo Thinkpad T61 w/ Intel 3945 and GM965 (preloaded SuSE)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Lenovo Thinkpad T61 w/ Intel 3945 and GM965 (preloaded SuSE) Reply with quote

I wanted to mention some configuration tips for my newly purchased Lenovo Thinkpad T61 (model 7658) that came preloaded with SuSE; everything worked under SuSE except sound recording.

First, you might want to check an older thread for a similar machine, and the Gentoo-Wiki page.

I use the "amd64" arch and "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu" CHOST, with kernel tuxonice-2.6.24-r9.

Various issues I have fixed, or remain outstanding --

* Sound recording

Kernel drivers work -- just add "options snd_hda_intel model=thinkpad" to the modules configuration. For use with Skype, turn off the option where Skype sets mixer levels -- it's not smart enough to handle the available settings.

* Wireless

iwl3945 works, just need the 'net-wireless/iwl3945-ucode' package for the firmware.

* Suspend-to-disk/RAM

Suspend-to-RAM and tuxonice work out of the box via the GNOME power manager. (I did get filesystem corruption on *all* my partitions from tuxonice the first time, giving GRUB "Error 17" on the next reboot. I fixed it with fsck.ext3 from my install CD. Perhaps there was a hidden partition from the factory?)

* X windows

3D, AIGLX (for compositing) work out of the box with the 'intel' driver (from 'xf86-video-i810' ebuild). Only weird thing is that the display blinks once before turning on when gdm starts; I read somewhere this is due to the way the driver detects the chip and will go away in future versions.

xorg.conf posted here; I get 900-950 fps with glxgears.

* Bluetooth

Fn+F5 doesn't work at the moment. "echo enable > /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth" turns it on with the "thinkpad_acpi" module in the kernel. "hci_usb" module supports this Broadcom 2045B device.

* Thinkpad keys and lights

Most work. Exceptions --

- Must use thinkpad_acpi for bluetooth, as described above -- Fn+F5 doesn't work.
- Brightness OSD widget comes up in GNOME, but brightness doesn't actually change; however, the GNOME brightness panel applet works! :)
- Multimedia keys (volume, play/stop/etc.) don't work.
- Wireless indicator LED doesn't work; fixed in kernel 2.6.26 with LED option under iwl3945.

Last edited by Hypnos on Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:07 pm; edited 5 times in total
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on keys:

* Fn+Home/End do have an effect on brightness, but this doesn't work well -- have to go slowly, and even then doesn't always work. Perhaps a problem with the ACPI video module?

HAL does pick up these events ("BrightnessChanged"), and the new brightness level is reflected in the slider of the brightness panel applet, even when the screen is not affected. Setting the brightness from the applet works flawlessly -- it calls HAL's "SetBrightness" method; similarly, manipulating the ACPI video interface manually works fine.

Relevant thread on SuSE forums.

* One day I'll set up a key trigger to enable (disable) Bluetooth and start (stop) the Bluetooth init script. Looks like I have to pick up the ACPI event.

* Multimedia keys just have to be mapped to 'XF86AudioRaiseVolume', etc. as seen under GNOME's "Keyboard Shortcuts" setting. Here is my /etc/X11/Xmodmap:

Code:
keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute
keycode 174 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
keycode 176 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
keycode 164 = XF86AudioStop
keycode 162 = XF86AudioPlay
keycode 144 = XF86AudioPrev
keycode 153 = XF86AudioNext
keycode 207 = XF86Eject

Last edited by Hypnos on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on kernel 2.6.26 --

As I write above, kernel 2.6.26 allows you to turn on the wireless LED. But I have to admit, I find it rather annoying :P

Another thing 2.6.26 offers is more mixer options for snd_hda_intel, such as a master volume control and IEC9589 and digital controls (perhaps these require the "model=<whatever>" module parameter).

Unfortunately, 2.6.26 does not fix the issue with the screen brightness, and doesn't wake up from sleep. The latter could be a mismatch between the kernel video and the xorg driver, as wakeup works when X isn't running.

Moreover, ACPI does not send power button events under either kernel. (Ubuntu bug report)

Maybe I'll try 2.6.26-* again when it goes stable.
DtZ
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the brightness issues. Have you tried doing:
Code:
echo -n 0 > /sys/module/video/parameters/brightness_switch_enabled

It works like charm on my R61e. No lag between key press and brightness value change.
Also with xorg-server-1.4.99.906, mesa-7.1 and git version of libdrm and xf86-video-intel both suspend to RAM and disk work fine. I've tried it on tuonice-sources-2.6.26 and zen-sources-2.6.27_rc5-zen2
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* The brightness keys don't work at all with 2.6.26, with or without the module parameter.

* I'll have to invest more time at some future date to try the Git drm and driver; none of the stuff in Portage allows suspend to work, and there are a number of X11 module conflicts.

Just to confirm, you have a GM965 graphics device? If it is anything older, it may work better than this guy for stuff like suspend-to-RAM ...
DtZ
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have intel 965GM graphic card in my laptop. Yesterday I've upgraded xorg-server to version 1.5.0. Right now I only have two packages from git: libdrm and xf86-video-i810. Suspend still works fine.
As for brightness issues have you tried changing it manually?
Code:
echo 0 >/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video1/brightness

If this command works you can use the following script to change brightness from acpid.
Code:
#!/bin/sh

CTRL_FILE=/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video1/brightness
VAL=$(cat $CTRL_FILE)
MAX=$(cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video1/max_brightness)

usage() {
        echo >&2 "Usage: $0 [ up | down ]"
}

case $1 in
        up)
        if [ "$VAL" = "$MAX" ]; then
                exit
        fi
        NEWVAL=$(expr $VAL + 1)
        echo $NEWVAL > $CTRL_FILE
        ;;
        down)
        if [ "$VAL" = "0" ]; then
                exit
        fi
        NEWVAL=$(expr $VAL - 1)
        echo $NEWVAL > $CTRL_FILE
        ;;
        *)
        usage
esac
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

* I tried upgrading to 1.4.99.x and 1.5.0 xorg-servers, but 3D stopped working -- couldn't get visual. Perhaps requires Git drm and driver?

* As for brightness, the ACPI interface (/proc/acpi/video/...) always worked -- my panel widget uses this (/sys/... interface doesn't do anything). HAL and acpid block /proc/acpi/event, so I can't run them alongside one another.

Looks like if I want to capture Fn+F5 I'll need to modify HAL.
DtZ
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell about git version of libdrm. You can try it. If you use any 32bit 3d applications you should try mesa and libdrm multilib ebuilds posted here. Right now emul-linux-x86-xlibs still provides only mesa 6.5.2.

As for hal & acpid I've been using both for as long as I can remember. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't get errors from any of them.
Also do you use thinkpad_acpi module? If so check your dmesg output. Maybe you're using old thinkpad backlight interface. In my case when I load the module I get the following message:
Code:
thinkpad_acpi: This ThinkPad has standard ACPI backlight brightness control, supported by the ACPI video driver
thinkpad_acpi: Disabling thinkpad-acpi brightness events by default...
thinkpad_acpi: Lenovo BIOS switched to ACPI backlight control mode
thinkpad_acpi: standard ACPI backlight interface available, not loading native one...

I remember that I've had some problems with setting up brightness controls when I bought my R61e. It was caused by standard video module and thinkpad_acpi not getting along to well.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* Not even glxgears (from mesa-progs-7.1) loads when using xorg-server-1.5, so it seems more fundamental than 32-bit-v.-64-bit.

* If I launch either acpid or hald first, the other won't load subsequently because the first blocks /proc/acpi/event. Haven't figured out how to change this behavior.

* Yeah, I get the same message in dmesg from thinkpad_acpi about it deferring to the ACPI video driver for backlight experiment. What's odd is that the /proc/ interface of the ACPI video driver works great, but not the /sys/ interface. Moreover, in text console the brightness keys do nothing but give unhandled keycodes.

So maybe the HAL rule about deferring to hardware for Lenovo LCD brightness is wrong. (Also there is a HAL rule for handling Fn+F5 that doesn't seem to work.) Perhaps one can fiddle here ...
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking with HAL devs on IRC:

* Fn+F5 (radio soft toggle), Fn+space (zoom) and ThinkVantage ('vendor') not working is due to an oversight in HAL's input handling (no ACPI events handled with keycode over 256); there is a patch ... even then, requires apps to listen to these key presses.

I don't need these keys bad enough to pull together acpid or hal+dbus scripts.

* Brightness adjustment halting/jitteriness using Fn+Home/End is due to faulty Thinkpad AML. I backported this patch, but made the problem worse.

As it stands now, with the brightness keys sort of work, haltingly, sometimes.

Last edited by Hypnos on Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:32 am; edited 2 times in total
DtZ
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About hal and acpid issues. Quote from hal's metadata.xml about USE=acpi:
Quote:
Enables HAL to attempt to read from /proc/acpi/event, if
unavailable, HAL will read events from sys-power/acpid. If
you need multiple acpi readers, ensure acpid is in your default
runlevel (rc-update add acpid default) along with HAL. This will also
enable HAL to read Toshiba and IBM acpi events which do not get sent
via /proc/acpi/event

So it either a bug or you forgot to enable acpi use flag for hal and/or add acpid to default runlevel.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: