vmware-server and kernel 2.6.26
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: vmware-server and kernel 2.6.26 Reply with quote

Anyone able to get it working? I'd rather avoid using an overlay as well, but if I have to, I will.

I have seen the patch for vmware-modules-1.0.0.20, but what version of vmware-server corresponds to that?
Even the latest from the vmware overlay (vmware-server-2.0.0.84186 ) takes modules-1.0.0.19...

Was working just fine on kernel 2.6.25 with server-1.0.6 and modules-1.0.0.15

Thanks to anyone that can help.
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you need the modules? VMware Server has his own script which is building the modules. You don't need the vmware-modules at all. They are anyway mostly for the VMware Workstation and VMware Player.

btw: I have over here VMware Server 2.0.0 RC1 with Kernel 2.6.26.2 working without any problems.

// SteveB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vmware-modules gets pulled in automatically when i emerge vmware-server, and after a kernel update, vmware-modules needs to be recompiled in order for vmware-server to function, i believe

where did you get that version? vmware overlay?

perhaps i should upgrade to 2.6.26.2

pallendromic...
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0000000000000 wrote:
where did you get that version? vmware overlay?
Own made ebuild.

0000000000000 wrote:
perhaps i should upgrade to 2.6.26.2
You could try.

// SteveB
karafeka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveb
Could you share this ebuild for vmware server?
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karafeka wrote:
Could you share this ebuild for vmware server?
Read here.

Nasvidenje :)

// SteveB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i did send a PM to steveb a few days ago, and no response as of yet..

is there anyone here who has vmware-server working with kernel-2.6.26?
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0000000000000 wrote:
What? I responded!

// SteveB
hirakendu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have vmware workstation 6.0.4 working with kernel 2.6.26 - I believe you just have the issue with vmware-modules-1.0.0.20. Thanks to gentoo bugzilla 227303 (https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=227303) and cyrius, it is working :D - so please see the last attachment in that thread.
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveb wrote:
0000000000000 wrote:
What? I responded!

// SteveB
says I have no messages, hm...

thats thirteen 0's in my name, maybe it was sent to another account accidentally?

let me check my email.....

unless it's the e-mail written in Chinese that I can't understand, i didn't get anything there either ;p
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirakendu wrote:
I have vmware workstation 6.0.4 working with kernel 2.6.26 - I believe you just have the issue with vmware-modules-1.0.0.20. Thanks to gentoo bugzilla 227303 (https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=227303) and cyrius, it is working :D - so please see the last attachment in that thread.
is vmware-workstation free though?

i didnt pay for the XP nor OSX that i run in vmware, i cetainly dont want to pay for vmware itself ;p

thanks though, if it comes down to it, i will try to get workstation installed
hirakendu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ 0^(13) :

Nope, its not free, but I believe the only part of vmware that depends on the kernel is vmware-modules - whether you are using workstation or server. Correct me if I am wrong.

But if vmware-server is all you want, given the features it has, I would rather suggest virtualbox.
karafeka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does virtualbox moudules compile against 2.6.26 ?

I have 2.6.26 zenrt, and it doesn't compile for me.
pietia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i have vbox with kernel 2.6.26
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirakendu wrote:
@ 0^(13) :

Nope, its not free, but I believe the only part of vmware that depends on the kernel is vmware-modules - whether you are using workstation or server. Correct me if I am wrong.

But if vmware-server is all you want, given the features it has, I would rather suggest virtualbox.
I used VirtualBox, but OSx86 will not run in VirtualBox. Plus I could never get the guest OS to access the internet in virtualbox. I'd prefer vmware. There is no real pressing urgency in getting it working though, but I would still like it to compile properly.
burzmali
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in a fix for this also.

Is there any plan for continued support of vmware-server-1.x with newer kernels?
elgato319
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did patch vmware-server 1.0.6 with this patch:
http://lenrek.wordpress.com/2008/08/09/vmware-server-106-for-linux-kernel-2626x/

Works fine.
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirakendu wrote:
The modules are not the exact same for Workstation and Server. The Server has modules not found in the Workstation modules.

// SteveB
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0000000000000 wrote:
unless it's the e-mail written in Chinese that I can't understand, i didn't get anything there either ;p
Okay. I sent the mail to the address mentioned in your PM. Let me know if you have issues.

// SteveB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveb wrote:
0000000000000 wrote:
Okay. I sent the mail to the address mentioned in your PM. Let me know if you have issues.

// SteveB

Thanks for the message, but yes I know how to set up and run vmware, the problem was that vmware-modules would not compile with kernel-2.6.26
here is the bug report

you should know, that everytime you change a kernel, you need to re-emerge the modules to work with that kernel. a while ago I decided i didn't really care too much and am just using 2.5.26 as i can not notice the slightest difference between the two and vmware-server is running just fine...there appears to be a fix for getting it to compile under 2.6.26, but i am in no hurry at the moment

thanks though

edit: also, the name is not German, it is an ancient Hebrew word roughly meaning Lord of the Flies :)

also, if i might ask, why were the instructions so...repetitious? many of the commands were repeated numerous times?
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0000000000000 wrote:
Thanks for the message, but yes I know how to set up and run vmware, the problem was that vmware-modules would not compile with kernel-2.6.26
here is the bug report
What modules? You mean the ebuild that does build the modules or do you mean that you can not build the modules with the Perl script included in VMware Server? I ask because the ebuild for the modules is for VMware Workstation/VMware Player and not for the VMware Server. I have absolutely no problem building the modules on my HP ProLiant ML370G3 running with vanilla sources 2.6.26.3.

0000000000000 wrote:
you should know, that everytime you change a kernel, you need to re-emerge the modules to work with that kernel.
You mix up things. The ebuild in portage for the VMware modules is not suited for VMware Server. Every time you change the kernel or the configuration of the kernel you need to run the Perl script to build the modules for VMware Server. If you insist in having an ebuild for that, then let me know. I have made even for that an ebuild but I really don't see the ultra huge benefit in having an ebuild for that. I understand that the ebuild currently in Portage does have a reason to be there because of the various patches (mainly the any-any patches). But for VMware Server you should not use the ebuild in portage.

0000000000000 wrote:
a while ago I decided i didn't really care too much and am just using 2.5.26 as i can not notice the slightest difference between the two and vmware-server is running just fine...there appears to be a fix for getting it to compile under 2.6.26, but i am in no hurry at the moment
If you need an ebuild for the vmware-server-modules, then let me know. I can send it to you. But one should really use the included Perl script to generate the modules for the server.

0000000000000 wrote:
edit: also, the name is not German, it is an ancient Hebrew word roughly meaning Lord of the Flies :)
I did not say it is German. I only mentioned that it sounds funny if you know the German language. That's all :)

0000000000000 wrote:
also, if i might ask, why were the instructions so...repetitious? many of the commands were repeated numerous times?
This is because I don't want to explain 1 million time how to do it. So I made those small (repetitious) instructions. I know that they are repetitious but they work in all cases. Where a smaller instruction list tends to maybe work for one case but not for another case.
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how any of the other vmware products handle things. Everytime I change a kernel i always 'emerge vmware-modules' to recompile the modules that vmware-server requires. Not the modules for workstation or player, those are very different. Then I re-run the configure script and everything works fine. The only problem at all that i was having was that the ebuild for the vmware-modules version that corresponds to vmware-server would not compile on kernel-2.6.26. No matter how many variations of running the config script and starting and stopping the services, the modules that are essential for vmware-server to operate will not work on that kernel without being re-compiled for that kernel.

thanks for the offer, but i will continue to use this kernel for the time being
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0000000000000 wrote:
... i always 'emerge vmware-modules' to recompile the modules that vmware-server requires.
You can not emerge any package to get the modules needed for VMware Server 2.0. Repeat again with me: The ebuild in portage for VMware Modules is for the Workstation and/or Player product of VMware and not for VMware Server.

0000000000000 wrote:
Not the modules for workstation or player, those are very different.
There are no such thing as modules for server in Portage. What ebuild are you talking about?

0000000000000 wrote:
The only problem at all that i was having was that the ebuild for the vmware-modules version that corresponds to vmware-server would not compile on kernel-2.6.26.
They do compile. I have it here on more then one system and they work. Others I have email contact have them running on 2.6.26 as well without problems.

0000000000000 wrote:
will not work on that kernel without being re-compiled for that kernel.
Yes. That's right. You need to re-compile the modules for the current kernel. That's no secret and absolutely normal.

// SteveB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, I said nothing of vmware-server-2.0. However the ebuild that is in portage for vmware-server and vmware-modules are: 1.0.6.91891 and 1.0.0.15-r1 respectively. For example, let's say you want to install vmware-server, 'emerge vmware-server' will bring in vmware-modules-1.0.0.15-r1 along with vmware-server. These are the modules that correspond to vmware-server, these are the modules that work in vmware-server, and these are the modules that would not compile in kernel-2.6.26. I do not know where you are getting the idea that vmware-server does not require modules or that these modules are not in Portage, as they most certainly are, and are in fact in use right now by me.

0000000000000 wrote:
will not work on that kernel without being re-compiled for that kernel.
Yes. That's right. You need to re-compile the modules for the current kernel. That's no secret and absolutely normal.

// SteveB[/quote]
which is why i was interested when you said you had an ebuild for these modules that would compile in kernel-2.6.26, and did not understand when you replied with, not an ebuild, but a series of stopping vmware services repeatedly, and running the config script several times, which effectively would do nothing without re-compiling the modules for which I was requesting the working ebuild from you for. But as I have said, I am just using kernel-2.6.25 along with vmware-server-1.0.6.91891 and vmware-modules-1.0.0.15-r1 and all is working fine. There has since this initial post, been released patches for these modules that allow them to compile with the latest kernel and are available through the bug link above.
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0000000000000 wrote:
Umm, I said nothing of vmware-server-2.0. However the ebuild that is in portage for vmware-server and vmware-modules are: 1.0.6.91891 and 1.0.0.15-r1 respectively. For example, let's say you want to install vmware-server, 'emerge vmware-server' will bring in vmware-modules-1.0.0.15-r1 along with vmware-server. These are the modules that correspond to vmware-server, these are the modules that work in vmware-server, and these are the modules that would not compile in kernel-2.6.26. I do not know where you are getting the idea that vmware-server does not require modules or that these modules are not in Portage, as they most certainly are, and are in fact in use right now by me.
We have not talked on the same level. I talked about VMware Server 2.0 and you talked about VMware Server 1.0. That's the confusion.

0000000000000 wrote:
which is why i was interested when you said you had an ebuild for these modules that would compile in kernel-2.6.26, and did not understand when you replied with, not an ebuild,
Have you looked at the mail? Have you missed the attachment "app-emulation_vmware-server.tgz" in the email? It is VMware Server 2.0 RC2. That thing works with 2.6.26 without any problems and it is noticeably faster then the 1.0.x series of VMware Server.

0000000000000 wrote:
but a series of stopping vmware services repeatedly, and running the config script several times, which effectively would do nothing without re-compiling the modules for which I was requesting the working ebuild from you for.
I have sent you the ebuild for VMware Server 2.0 RC2 and the instructions where for how to get the modules to compile after installing VMware Server 2.0 RC2.

0000000000000 wrote:
But as I have said, I am just using kernel-2.6.25 along with vmware-server-1.0.6.91891 and vmware-modules-1.0.0.15-r1 and all is working fine. There has since this initial post, been released patches for these modules that allow them to compile with the latest kernel and are available through the bug link above.
I see now. To get the vmware-modules in Portage to play nice with a newer Kernel edition, you should emerge >=vmware-modules-1.0.0.20 from the vmware overlay

Let me know if you need the VMware Server 2.0 RC2 ebuild. According to my send history you should have it but maybe you already deleted the mail?

// SteveB
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: