Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Defining custom "use-expand" use flags in an overlay?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Defining custom "use-expand" use flags in an overl Reply with quote

I am writing some ebuilds that I want to use the "use-expand" feature for and I want to make my own use-expand that is not in Gentoo. How do I go about setting this up? I know the current use-expands are defined in profiles/base/make.defaults in the main Gentoo tree, so how do I define my own?

Thanks
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not completely sure if this is what you want, but I've done something similar with custom xorg-server ebuilds.

I made a lot of the x11 extensions optional via use flags, ie I had defined IUSE_X11_EXTENSIONS="glx", and included it in IUSE (via IUSE="${IUSE_X11_EXTENSIONS}"), then in the ebuild everything glx related would depend upon the x11_extensions_glx USE flag.

Then in make.conf I added USE_EXPAND="${USE_EXPAND} X11_EXTENSIONS", and all the x11_extensions_* USE flags worked just like LINGUAS or VIDEO_CARDS, and to enable the ones you want you'd set something like X11_EXTENSIONS="composite xv" in make.conf.

Of course, I could be misunderstanding you completely...
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I want, something that acts like LINGUS and VIDEO_CARDS use-expands. Though, my wondering is if there is a way to define it in the overlay instead of doing it in make.conf. Maybe something in the profiles directory?

So, in my ebuild, I use IUSE_MY_VARIABLE="useflag" and useflag expands to my_variable_useflag? I looked at xorg-server ebuild and they do:
IUSE_INPUT_DEVICES="
input_devices_acecad
..."

Do I need to follow that, or did the ebuild author choose to do things the long way?

Thanks for replying. :)
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
That's what I want, something that acts like LINGUS and VIDEO_CARDS use-expands. Though, my wondering is if there is a way to define it in the overlay instead of doing it in make.conf. Maybe something in the profiles directory?

So, in my ebuild, I use IUSE_MY_VARIABLE="useflag" and useflag expands to my_variable_useflag? I looked at xorg-server ebuild and they do:
IUSE_INPUT_DEVICES="
input_devices_acecad
..."

Do I need to follow that, or did the ebuild author choose to do things the long way?
Ah, yes, my mistake.

What I actually have in the ebuild is;
Code:
IUSE_X11_EXTENSIONS="
        x11_extensions_composite
        x11_extensions_glx
        x11_extensions_record
        x11_extensions_screensaver
        x11_extensions_xdmcp
        x11_extensions_xevie
        x11_extensions_xinerama
        x11_extensions_xtrap
        x11_extensions_xv
        x11_extensions_xvmc"

For a profile in your overlay to work, your /etc/make.profile symlink would actually have to point to that profile instead, which I don't think is what you really want.

Otherwise a profile directory in an overlay seems to be ignored, which makes sense as nothing explicitly inherits from it.

You could probably add USE_EXPAND="${USE_EXPAND} X11_EXTENSIONS" (or your equivalent) to something like /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf, though, and I'm sure other possibilities exist.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: