crossdev fails with target as avr [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roguetech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: crossdev fails with target as avr [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I seem to have run into a snag with crossdev and avr. I set up PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage" in /etc/make.conf and ran command:
Code:
crossdev --without-headers -t avr

But it fails on cross-gcc-stage1, here is a snippet of the error log:
Code:
/var/tmp/cross/avr/portage/cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1/work/build/./gcc/xgcc -B/var/tmp/cross/avr/portage/cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1/work/build/./gcc/ -B/usr/avr/bin/ -B/usr/avr/lib/ -isystem /usr/avr/include -isystem /usr/avr/sys-include -O2 -g -O2 -pipe -mmcu=avr35 -O2  -O2 -g -O2 -pipe   -DIN_GCC -DCROSS_DIRECTORY_STRUCTURE   -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wold-style-definition  -isystem ./include  -DDF=SF -Dinhibit_libc -mcall-prologues -Os -g  -DIN_LIBGCC2 -D__GCC_FLOAT_NOT_NEEDED -Dinhibit_libc  -I. -I. -I../../.././gcc -I/var/tmp/cross/avr/portage/cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1/work/gcc-4.3.1/libgcc -I/var/tmp/cross/avr/portage/cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1/work/gcc-4.3.1/libgcc/. -I/var/tmp/cross/avr/portage/cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1/work/gcc-4.3.1/libgcc/../gcc -I/var/tmp/cross/avr/portage/cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1/work/gcc-4.3.1/libgcc/../include   -o _udivmodhi4.o -MT _udivmodhi4.o -MD -MP -MF _udivmodhi4.dep -DL_udivmodhi4 -xassembler-with-cpp \
     -c /var/tmp/cross/avr/portage/cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1/work/gcc-4.3.1/libgcc/../gcc/config/avr/libgcc.S
/var/tmp/cross/avr/portage/cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1/work/gcc-4.3.1/libgcc/../gcc/config/avr/libgcc.S: Assembler messages:
/var/tmp/cross/avr/portage/cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1/work/gcc-4.3.1/libgcc/../gcc/config/avr/libgcc.S:281: Error: illegal opcode movw for mcu avr3
/var/tmp/cross/avr/portage/cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1/work/gcc-4.3.1/libgcc/../gcc/config/avr/libgcc.S:283: Error: illegal opcode movw for mcu avr3
make[4]: *** [_mulsi3.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
/var/tmp/cross/avr/portage/cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1/work/gcc-4.3.1/libgcc/../gcc/config/avr/libgcc.S: Assembler messages:
/var/tmp/cross/avr/portage/cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1/work/gcc-4.3.1/libgcc/../gcc/config/avr/libgcc.S:403: Error: illegal opcode movw for mcu avr3
/var/tmp/cross/avr/portage/cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1/work/gcc-4.3.1/libgcc/../gcc/config/avr/libgcc.S:405: Error: illegal opcode movw for mcu avr3
make[4]: *** [_udivmodhi4.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/cross/avr/portage/cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1/work/build/avr/avr35/libgcc'
make[3]: *** [multi-do] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/cross/avr/portage/cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1/work/build/avr/libgcc'
make[2]: *** [all-multi] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/cross/avr/portage/cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1/work/build/avr/libgcc'
make[1]: *** [all-target-libgcc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/cross/avr/portage/cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1/work/build'
make: *** [all] Error 2
 * ERROR: cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called src_compile
 *             environment, line 4574:  Called toolchain_src_compile
 *             environment, line 5089:  Called gcc_src_compile
 *             environment, line 2933:  Called gcc_do_make
 *             environment, line 2763:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       emake LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS}" STAGE1_CFLAGS="${STAGE1_CFLAGS}" LIBPATH="${LIBPATH}" BOOT_CFLAGS="${BOOT_CFLAGS}" ${GCC_MAKE_TARGET} || die "emake failed with ${GCC_MAKE_TARGET}";
 *  The die message:
 *   emake failed with all
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/cross/avr/portage/cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/cross/avr/portage/cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1/temp/environment'.
 * This ebuild is from an overlay: '/usr/local/portage/'

* Messages for package cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1:

* ERROR: cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called src_compile
 *             environment, line 4574:  Called toolchain_src_compile
 *             environment, line 5089:  Called gcc_src_compile
 *             environment, line 2933:  Called gcc_do_make
 *             environment, line 2763:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       emake LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS}" STAGE1_CFLAGS="${STAGE1_CFLAGS}" LIBPATH="${LIBPATH}" BOOT_CFLAGS="${BOOT_CFLAGS}" ${GCC_MAKE_TARGET} || die "emake failed with ${GCC_MAKE_TARGET}";
 *  The die message:
 *   emake failed with all
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/cross/avr/portage/cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/cross/avr/portage/cross-avr/gcc-4.3.1-r1/temp/environment'.
 * This ebuild is from an overlay: '/usr/local/portage/'

If you need more information please ask,the forum wouldn't let me post the entire log file as it was huge...I am not sure why it is failing, all I know is that I have version gcc 4.1.2 on my main system. Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advanced!

Last edited by roguetech on Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
roguetech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried setting gcc to the version that was installed on my system and that seemed to work:
Code:
crossdev --without-headers -t avr --g 4.1.2

I will have to test out the compiler later but I think it should work. Hope this helps anyone else who may have problems

PS:

I had to set a symlink as ldscripts for the avr target were not pointing to th correct location and the result error occured:
Code:
/usr/libexec/gcc/avr/ld: cannot open linker script file ldscripts/avr4.x: No such file or directory

To fix the problem which seems to work, as stated in the gentoo bugs was to do the following:
Code:
ln -s /usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/avr/lib/ldscripts/ /usr/libexec/gcc/avr/ldscripts
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: