Can't Load Network Card Module?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crimjob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Can't Load Network Card Module? Reply with quote

Hi All,

A brief history on my issue, I'm using an Asus Eee PC 701. Attansic Technology Network Adapter. I'm trying to use the 2008.0 livecd to install Gentoo on this. Drivers for this adapter are not native, which isn't surprising, but I didn't think it'd be this huge of a problem for me to load drivers for it.

Now I've tried a bunch of things, but I'm still a Gentoo n00b so I'm sure I've missed plenty.

Eee User Wiki shows to run the following after downloading the module and putting it on your livecd

Code:
insmod /mnt/cdrom/atl2.ko

Which I did, but I receive an error.

Code:
livecd ~ # insmod /mnt/cdrom/atl2.ko
insmod: error inserting '/mnt/cdrom/atl2.ko': -1 Invalid module format

I'm not really sure what the issue is, as the file is there and all, and that's what the Wiki says to do.

So anyways, after checking man page for insmod etc., I kind of gave up on that method (who's to say it is a valid module anyways? I'd imagine the wiki admins would take it down if that was the case but who knows).

So I find the actual driver package on another site, download alt2-2.0.5.tar.bz2

Code:
livecd ~ # tar xvjpf atl2-2.0.5.tar.bz2
*output files*
livecd ~ # cd atl2-2.0.5
livecd atl2-2.0.5 # make
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r5/build SUBDIRS=/root/atl2-2.0.5 modules
make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r5/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
Make: *** [all] Error 2

So at this point I'm really confused. I saw some errors while attempting to run the installer-dialog related to either that path or the specific kernel (2.6.24-gentoo-r5), but I didn't copy the errors, and just figured I'd try to get network working before my next install attempt. I really have no idea what the issue is, as that directory does exist, although an ls of it just showed the same path to the folder, and it's highlighted in red in the console, though again, n00b, means nothing to me hehe.

Other issues also exist. I can't find a decent USB networking adapter for a reasonable price (either have unsupported chipsets or insanely priced). The Eee PC does not have any PCMCIA slots, and I don't imagine Wireless can be loaded on the live cd? (Though I may be wrong, I know the internal WiFi requires MadWiFi to work, but I may be able to get a wireless USB adapter).

I'm at a loss here for installing Gentoo. Does anyone have any ideas on this?
Crimjob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*** UPDATE ***: I downloaded the MadWiFi package, and again put it on the livecd, extracted it and tried to make it. Slightly different error this time

Code:
livecd madwifi-0.9.4 # make
/bin/sh: line 0: cd: /lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r5/build: No such file or directory
Makefile.inc:66: *** /lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r5/build is missing, please set KERNELPATH. Stop.

and a quick Google looks like I need kernel headers or something like that? Still a gray area for me, but thought it might help.
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Are you trying to load those modules in order to install Gentoo? If yes, don't. It is much safer and faster to do it on the wired Internet connection.
Or you can try to get the files from the Web and put it in the appropriate places, then complete the install.
Do the install, and then try to install the drivers for the card.

Thank you.
Crimjob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am. The thing is, my wired internet isn't supported either, and I've got a module file and the driver package and I'm unable to load or make either, so I don't know how to get on the net with this to even install Gentoo.
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
You are writing the replies, i.e. you have a connection somewhere... :)
Just follow the Handbook. When you need to install something, go to the web download the tar file and put to the /usr/portage/distfiles, then do an 'emerge'.

Also just frab the portage tree from the web then copy it to the /mnt/gentoo and unpack using the appropriate command.

All you need is have a working system...

Thank you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: