View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because you waste space (and cpu cycles) for nothing. If you 'compress' mp3, flac, avi, jpg, all you get is a lot of wasted electricity and bigger files. compression is fine. forced compression is not.

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
Captain Newbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
reiserfs is in maintenance mode and r4 will maybe get into mainline - Edward Shishkin is working hard on it. Oh, and you don't need to use mm - just download the patch from kernel.org

I would say that there are better odds of it being mainlined now that Hans Reiser is out of the picture, to be fair. He had a serious chip on his shoulder when it came to including R4 into mainstream.

The plug-in architecture is still bothersome to the mainstream reviewers, for whatever reason. With namesys gone, though, that is less of a problem (there was a fear of commercialization, etc.)
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fear was created by misunderstanding. The plugins are not 'plugins' - ie runtime loadable binary stuff. It is just a way to make r4 enhanceable in an easy way - on source code level.

Besides, the same reviewers who pissed their pants over plugins, had no problems with xfs and its proprietary, closed source cxfs hooks ....

coolsnowmen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
jordanwb wrote:
Flarkis wrote:

sda3 swpa 6GB (honestly do i need it to be this big if i have 3GB ram?)

No. Even on my laptop with 256MB of RAM, swap was never used. You'd only need swap if you plan on using hibernation.

well, now with 256 you will probably not get away, but 2GB laptop with no swap runs very happily. I actually play some tricks to avoid using swap during normal run (to avoid extra unnecessary writing to solid state disk), and activating it only for hibernation

Who ever said swap should be 2x your ram needs to ...rethink that statement. That makes no sense and I've seen that recommendation perpetrated everywhere. Swap should be set to:

Total_memory_you_think_you'll_ever_need - Actual_memory_installed_on_the_system

So the more actual ram you have, the smalled swap needs to be. With the previous "recommendation" people with large amounts of ram are keeping giant swap partitions that are never getting used.
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Total_memory_you_think_you'll_ever_need - Actual_memory_installed_on_the_system

Agreed, but if you intend to use some kind of hibernation (swsusp, suspend, tuxonice etc all), you need some kind of swap space. I go with some RAM/2 + some spare (e.g 4GB RAM; 2.2 GB swap)

cheers
V.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to use hibernation and stuff, you need double ram. Everything else will lead to problems at some point.
I even have 16GB of swap with 4gb ram - because I plan to increase ram to 8gb in the next 12 month.

coolsnowmen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@energyman,
you are by far an outlier in my experiance (If that situation is every actually encountered). I am talking about recommendations. If you have determined that you need something, then go for it, but even to linux users, I would never recommend a 16gb swap partition.

Though this statement seems backwards to me:
energyman76b wrote:
I even have 16gb of swap with 4gb ram - because I plan to increase ram to 8gb in the next 12 month.

W/o other knowledge this makes no sense. You are buying more ram _presumably_ because swaping things to disk is slow so ideally you have as much ram as you need and memory requests never force a swap hit. So even if you want to hibernate, you need as much swap as you'ld have in total_memory at the time right? So that should still be about 8gb

Lets say you have 8gb of ram (which is huge). I've only needed that much ram once when doing massive parallel simulations. During one of those jobs, I would never think to myself, I going to hibernate my computer and then comeback. I simply don't trust hibernate that much.

Most people who care about hibernate, use a laptop, and most people who use a laptop don't run massive 16gb jobs on it because it is expensive. Anyone who does that has a desktop.

And if you are trying to save power on a desktop, you probably just do suspend-to-ram because then you have that nice "instant-on" feel.

Again, if you feel you need something else, then do it. But I was complaining about the recommendations that were logical.
pdw_hu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why waste a whole partition for swap? Just dd yourself a swapfile and use that one.
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A swap partition performs better than a swap file due to the absence of filesystem overhead. This is especially true for huge swap files because the file is all but certain to be fragmented.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swapfiles aren't slower anymore - if they are created on a virgin fs.

Why do I have such a big swap?
Because: I have two identical disks in a Raid1 setup (and maybe I will go Raid5 soon). 8gb of swap per disk. I started with one disk - and when I got another one, I just migrated to raid withou re-partitioning. Since I want to have 8gb of ram anyway in the near future, it wasn't even worth it. So I have 16gb swap.

aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
if you want to use hibernation and stuff, you need double ram. Everything else will lead to problems at some point.
I even have 16GB of swap with 4gb ram - because I plan to increase ram to 8gb in the next 12 month.

LVM fixes that problem for you. Also, tuxonice doesn't depend on a swap device.
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
swapfiles aren't slower anymore - if they are created on a virgin fs.
Which is a pretty big "if...."
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidanJT wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

LVM fixes that problem for you. Also, tuxonice doesn't depend on a swap device.

lvm is broken and utterly useless. I wouldn't touch it with a ten feet pole. I care about my data.

aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
lvm is broken and utterly useless. I wouldn't touch it with a ten feet pole. I care about my data.

Yes, so broken and utterly useless, that millions of servers are running multi-terrabyte arrays underneath it, hosting billions of dollors worth of data. I also care about my data, which is why I don't dick around with manual file ops, symlinking, partitioning, and offline disk juggling, just to keep my system running.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*yawn* just look at several threads in this forum alone, will you?

lvm is broken. If you never update your kernel, like servers do, or use a commercial distro with full support, like servers do, it might be fine.

aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
*yawn* just look at several threads in this forum alone, will you?

lvm is broken. If you never update your kernel, like servers do, or use a commercial distro with full support, like servers do, it might be fine.

People finding new and innovative ways to nuke their data is none of my concern. Yes, I don't update my kernel just because a new kernel is available, but I do update my kernel when it's needed, and I haven't discovered LVM doing anything it shouldn't have.
Flarkis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well i return. Right now im watching the progress of the new build system and it is looking usefull for when i rebuild my system. As for everyone here thanks for al your help i have my partition lay out all figured out and i think ill wait until KDE 4.2 until i switch over.

Concerning my swap yes im on a laptop but honestly i dont use hybernate that often. When i am on windows i use it because it takes 5min to load Vi$t@ but if im concerned about speed i use xfce which i can have up and running after a boot in less than a minute. So i will probably shrink it down ALOT. Right now i set up a script to record swap usage every 5min. I'll see how much my computer actually needs an work from there.
Ormaaj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, the general overviews of filesystems in the Gentoo handbooks needs to be updated. For instance, it gives the impression that reiserfs is far superior to others when in fact there is much more to consider. For a newcomer, they may not go and do a whole lot of extra research beyond the few sentences describing a few file-system choices in the handbooks. These should be slightly expanded and updated with new information.
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
Why do I have such a big swap?
Because: I have two identical disks in a Raid1 setup (and maybe I will go Raid5 soon). 8gb of swap per disk. I started with one disk - and when I got another one, I just migrated to raid withou re-partitioning. Since I want to have 8gb of ram anyway in the near future, it wasn't even worth it. So I have 16gb swap.

There's no reason to have a swap that damn BIG. Jeez.

The (RAM) X 2 = Swap doesn't even exist anymore.. Maybe it did in the mid to late 90's.

With RAM in the gigabytes, most people are scrapping the swap completely. It's just a waste of perfectly good disk space.
Me, I actually do a (RAM) / 2 = Swap. Sometimes it's smaller [ex. (RAM) / 4 = Swap]. Just depends on the system.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, just a few days ago, I saw good use for the huge swap. I found a way to make plasma explode - using up gigabytes of ram in mere seconds. Thanks to my huge swap, I was able to log in on a vt (it was very slow) and kill plasma, before the oom killer started to kill something I really need (you know the oom killer always kills the wrong apps).

So, how much swap was used up before I killed plasma?

6gb.

Yes, 6gb.

v_arnold
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Etx 3 all the way Reply with quote

Ext3 is rock-solid stable. Why would anyone use anything else, especially for the baselayout ?

If you insist on using any of the other filesystems, it should be for specific datatype perfomance boosts. But from my experience, ext3+hdparm is already pretty good.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Etx 3 all the way Reply with quote

v_arnold wrote:
Ext3 is rock-solid stable. Why would anyone use anything else, especially for the baselayout ?

If you insist on using any of the other filesystems, it should be for specific datatype perfomance boosts. But from my experience, ext3+hdparm is already pretty good.

from my experience, hdparm is not needed anymore. Why should it be? dma is activated by default and the highest supported mode set. Why hdparm?
And ext3?
Well, some people want safe data AND speed. And ext3 can't deliver both. Reiserfs and xfs can.

paluszak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my two cents. I had reiserfs as the main fs on my laptop for about 4 years. I run a stable system and reliability is generally more important for me than speed alone because most of my work is done on this machine.

And here are my impressions. In two words, reiserfs sucks.

1. After some time and numerous portage syncs the main partition became so fragmented that reiserfs performance dropped almost to vfat levels (exaggeration for the sake of discussion here, but it's very slow anyway).

2a. Data corruption. Three times the partition became so corrupted for unknown reasons after sudden power losses that I had to boot from a CD, fix the partition off-line and copy some system files from Gentoo installation CD just to make my system boot again. But I could live with that, cause at least I knew that things were broken.

2b. Silent data corruption. That's the major issue for me. I ran an app one day, shut it, tried to run again and suddenly I got segfaults all over with no apparent reason (no updates in the meantime). So I did emerge -e something and everything went back to normal. Then, after few months the same happened with another app. Then I burned a movie for somebody, and the movie file was ok when I had watched it some time before, and that somebody complained that I gave him a broken avi file, so I tried to play it from my hdd and voila, it was completely borked.

3. Last but not least, CPU usage can go so high during minor file operations that it prevents me from working normally for a few seconds, which is a major inconvenience.

I would like to point that hardware-wise my system is completely healthy (I used to do some hardware testing for a hardware vendor as my job for some time, so I know how to do it).

So, I'm getting rid of reiserfs and I'm installing ext3 waiting until ext4 becomes more stable (not only in terms of kernel inclusion) and adequately tested.

J.
jancici
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am doing some DVD authoring on new partition wiht ext4 and using dvdstyler

after clicking creating DVD from big mpeg files {1.4GB for each} my laptop is starting to be very slow.

checking what is going on ... I did find out with IOTOP that pdfflush and kjournald2 is using 99% of sources together with dvdstyler subprogram ...

is ext4 good for laptop ?
how can I tune ext4 or kernel to be much more speed? or flexible ?
thanks
Flarkis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a minor update for anyone who cares. Got the results of my swap usage test over about 2 weeks with normal computer usage (including emerge -uDN world every once in a while). My average swap usage was 16mb and my peak swap usage was 22mb. So i think im going to reclaim afew gb worth of disk space now
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: