USE FLAGS question: Static
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orlanz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: USE FLAGS question: Static Reply with quote

I am trying to emerge the new mysql and I am having problems. I have done regdep-rebuild. When I compile, it still breaks with:
Code:

*** HOME not set. Setting to /var/tmp/portage
>>> Unpacking source...
 * MySQL does not support building statically with SSL support

!!! ERROR: dev-db/mysql-4.0.13-r3 failed.
!!! Function src_unpack, Line 52, Exitcode 0
!!! MySQL does not support building statically with SSL support

bash-2.05b#

I think I solved the problem by looking at my use flags and seeing ssl and static together. It seems to compile fine when I try -static. Is this right or am I totally off?

Now the question is... should I keep static for my other ebuilds or is it not really worth it? I also don't fully understand what static is, could someone explain it and whether its important or not? From what I understand, its statically links libraries so that programs are speed up during loading, and it doesn't improve speed in running programs . Is this all and is it worth it? I have a 350 Mhz P2 w/ 256 Mb RAM, and I task the machine heavily w/ multiple KDE's and WINE so I put a lot of weight on optimized, fast, low resource code.

Thank you.
dma
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Statically-linked programs don't depend on external libraries and will work even if your libraries are toasted. Good for mission-critical stuff.

However, you'll need to recompile the programs if you upgrade your libc (or other libraries) if a bug is discovered in the library.

This is why you see it used on stuff like the login programs, etc.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

static is not useful in most cases as it creates bigger binaries and speedup is near or equal to zero. The one case where it is useful if your shared libs are broken or incompatible to older versions (in case you upgrade openssl to 0.9.7 for example).
So it's safe to drop it, I would recommend it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: