dev-libs/glib masked by profile on arm
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: dev-libs/glib masked by profile on arm Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to install net-p2p/transmission on my NSLU2 (aka slug) that is running ARCH="arm", but all ebuilds for dev-libs/glib are masked by the profile...

emerge transmission:

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies -
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=dev-libs/glib-2.6" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- dev-libs/glib-2.16.3 (masked by: profile)
- dev-libs/glib-2.16.2 (masked by: profile)
- dev-libs/glib-2.16.1 (masked by: profile)
- dev-libs/glib-2.14.6 (masked by: profile)
- dev-libs/glib-2.14.3 (masked by: profile)
- dev-libs/glib-2.12.13 (masked by: profile)
- dev-libs/glib-2.12.12 (masked by: profile)
- dev-libs/glib-2.10.3-r1 (masked by: profile)
- dev-libs/glib-2.10.3 (masked by: profile)
- dev-libs/glib-2.8.6 (masked by: profile)

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
(dependency required by "net-p2p/transmission-1.0.6" [ebuild])

I followed the HARDWARE Linksys NSLU2 and have symlinked my /etc/make.profile to....

Code:

#  ls -l /etc/make.profile
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Mar 17 16:03 /etc/make.profile -> /usr/portage/profiles/uclibc/arm/

My first thought was "This is easy, all I need to do is unmask dev-libs/glib" so I duly did so...

Code:

# more /etc/portage/package.unmask
dev-libs/glib

But no joy, its still masked.

I checked the keywords on the ebuilds, just in case and there are some ebuilds that are marked stable for this ARCH...

grep arm /usr/portage/dev-libs/glib/glib*.ebuild:

# grep arm /usr/portage/dev-libs/glib/glib-*.ebuild
/usr/portage/dev-libs/glib/glib-1.2.10-r5.ebuild:KEYWORDS="alpha amd64 arm hppa ia64 m68k mips ppc ppc64 s390 sh sparc x86 ~x86-fbsd"
/usr/portage/dev-libs/glib/glib-2.10.3-r1.ebuild:KEYWORDS="~alpha ~amd64 ~arm ~hppa ~ia64 ~mips ~ppc ~ppc64 ~s390 ~sh ~sparc ~x86 ~x86-fbsd"
/usr/portage/dev-libs/glib/glib-2.10.3.ebuild:KEYWORDS="alpha amd64 arm hppa ia64 mips ppc ppc64 s390 sh sparc x86 ~x86-fbsd"
/usr/portage/dev-libs/glib/glib-2.12.12.ebuild:KEYWORDS="alpha amd64 arm hppa ia64 mips ppc ppc64 s390 sh sparc ~sparc-fbsd x86 ~x86-fbsd"
/usr/portage/dev-libs/glib/glib-2.12.13.ebuild:KEYWORDS="alpha amd64 arm hppa ia64 ~mips ppc ppc64 s390 sh sparc ~sparc-fbsd x86 ~x86-fbsd"
/usr/portage/dev-libs/glib/glib-2.14.3.ebuild:KEYWORDS="arm m68k mips s390 sh"
/usr/portage/dev-libs/glib/glib-2.14.6.ebuild:KEYWORDS="alpha amd64 ~arm hppa ia64 ~m68k ~mips ppc ppc64 ~s390 ~sh sparc ~sparc-fbsd x86 ~x86-fbsd"
/usr/portage/dev-libs/glib/glib-2.16.1.ebuild:KEYWORDS="~alpha ~amd64 ~arm ~hppa ~ia64 ~m68k ~mips ~ppc ~ppc64 ~s390 ~sh ~sparc ~sparc-fbsd ~x86 ~x86-fbsd"
/usr/portage/dev-libs/glib/glib-2.16.2.ebuild:KEYWORDS="~alpha ~amd64 ~arm ~hppa ~ia64 ~m68k ~mips ~ppc ~ppc64 ~s390 ~sh ~sparc ~sparc-fbsd ~x86 ~x86-fbsd"
/usr/portage/dev-libs/glib/glib-2.16.3.ebuild:KEYWORDS="~alpha ~amd64 ~arm ~hppa ~ia64 ~m68k ~mips ~ppc ~ppc64 ~s390 ~sh ~sparc ~sparc-fbsd ~x86 ~x86-fbsd"
/usr/portage/dev-libs/glib/glib-2.8.6.ebuild:KEYWORDS="alpha amd64 arm hppa ia64 m68k mips ppc ppc64 s390 sh sparc x86 ~x86-fbsd"

Any ideas why I can't unmask this package? Or perhaps more importantly why the profile is masking packages that have been marked stable?

Cheers,

slack
tarpman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the reason for the mask:
/usr/portage/profiles/uclibc/packages:
# glib-2.x requires working locale/iconv which
# isn't available atm in uclibc
<dev-libs/glib-2.5

According to CVS it was added back in early 2005, though, so it's entirely possible the status has changed since then. My advice to you would be to comment out that line, see if it works, and file a bug if so. Locale support in uclibc still seems to be a bit sketchy, though, so I'm not sure what kind of luck you'll have. Don't forget to build it with USE="iconv".

FWIW I much prefer deluge or rtorrent over transmission.
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarpman wrote:
Here's the reason for the mask:
/usr/portage/profiles/uclibc/packages:
# glib-2.x requires working locale/iconv which
# isn't available atm in uclibc
<dev-libs/glib-2.5

According to CVS it was added back in early 2005, though, so it's entirely possible the status has changed since then. My advice to you would be to comment out that line, see if it works, and file a bug if so. Locale support in uclibc still seems to be a bit sketchy, though, so I'm not sure what kind of luck you'll have. Don't forget to build it with USE="iconv".

FWIW I much prefer deluge or rtorrent over transmission.

Cool, thanks for the tip tarpman. There's no USE="iconv" on dev-libs/glib, so I guess your refering to sys-libs/uclibc? If so its disabled on this profile by default (it appears as '(-conv)' when using the -v switch to emerge). Is this something I should explicitly change?

On the deluge front, does it have a CLI and/or web GUI as I don't have X installed and want to manage torrents remotely (transmission comes with a basic CGI for controlling and there is also clutch for controlling it). Couldn't see anything obvious on the homepage, but as its written in Python I suspect it might.
tarpman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slack---line wrote:
Cool, thanks for the tip tarpman. There's no USE="iconv" on dev-libs/glib, so I guess your refering to sys-libs/uclibc? If so its disabled on this profile by default (it appears as '(-conv)' when using the -v switch to emerge). Is this something I should explicitly change?

I suppose that means iconv is still broken for uclibc then. I'm googling around a bit, and there seems to be quite a bit of history around this. What is your system's default provider for virtual/libiconv? Installing dev-libs/libiconv might allow glib to build.

slack---line wrote:
On the deluge front, does it have a CLI and/or web GUI as I don't have X installed and want to manage torrents remotely (transmission comes with a basic CGI for controlling and there is also clutch for controlling it). Couldn't see anything obvious on the homepage, but as its written in Python I suspect it might.

No, deluge is just a GTK+ GUI. If you're looking for a headless setup, rtorrent gets my full support for its quite usable ncurses interface. There seems to be a few web interfaces for it, but none of them are in Portage as far as I can tell.
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarpman wrote:
What is your system's default provider for virtual/libiconv? Installing dev-libs/libiconv might allow glib to build.

There isn't one, I've just added KEYWORD="~arm" to the dev-libs/libiconv in a local overlay but sys-apps/man-pages blocks it 8O

I think my ultimate aim (installing transmission under arm) is probably achievable since its available in the optware repository (see here), as are glib and libiconv.

[EDIT]

I should probably add that at the moment dev-libs/glib won't install as sys-devel/gettext fails to emerge. Haven't had the time to search for related bugs/work out why yet.

tarpman wrote:

No, deluge is just a GTK+ GUI. If you're looking for a headless setup, rtorrent gets my full support for its quite usable ncurses interface. There seems to be a few web interfaces for it, but none of them are in Portage as far as I can tell.

Cool, cheers for the tip, may check that out as an alternative if it looks like the current direction isn't going anywhere.
tarpman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slack---line wrote:
There isn't one, I've just added KEYWORD="~arm" to the dev-libs/libiconv in a local overlay but sys-apps/man-pages blocks it 8O

Well, I'm sure you know how to deal with that ;) I wouldn't consider man-pages much of a blocker - just be aware if you use them that they are probably glibc-specific.

slack---line wrote:
I think my ultimate aim (installing transmission under arm) is probably achievable since its available in the optware repository (see here), as are glib and libiconv.

That doesn't mean much - I'm fairly certain that a good chunk of optware is built against glibc (which doesn't have these issues).

Speaking of which, is there something in particular that would prevent you from switching to a glibc-based profile? I'm running /default/linux/arm/2008.0 on my Linkstation Pro (CHOST="armv5tejl-softfloat-linux-gnueabi"), and it's ticking along nicely, no noticeable speed or memory usage problems to speak of.

slack---line wrote:
I should probably add that at the moment dev-libs/glib won't install as sys-devel/gettext fails to emerge. Haven't had the time to search for related bugs/work out why yet.

Any interesting messages/logs you feel like posting? I'm busy at the moment but will have some spare time tomorrow, and this kind of thing always piques my curiosity.
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarpman wrote:

Well, I'm sure you know how to deal with that ;) I wouldn't consider man-pages much of a blocker - just be aware if you use them that they are probably glibc-specific.

Yep, not a problem on that front, don't need man-pages on the NSLU2 really, most things are on the laptop/server manpages anyway if I do need them, but will check theres nothing required in them.

tarpman wrote:

slack---line wrote:

That doesn't mean much - I'm fairly certain that a good chunk of optware is built against glibc (which doesn't have these issues).

Speaking of which, is there something in particular that would prevent you from switching to a glibc-based profile? I'm running /default/linux/arm/2008.0 on my Linkstation Pro (CHOST="armv5tejl-softfloat-linux-gnueabi"), and it's ticking along nicely, no noticeable speed or memory usage problems to speak of.

Haven't switched profile yet, as others seem to have had issues with glib (see here). Would probably give glibc a go, but need to get a crossdev/distcc setup working first as its painfully slow recompiling everything on the NSLU2 (have had a few probs with that too, but am slowly working through things).

tarpman wrote:

slack---line wrote:

Any interesting messages/logs you feel like posting? I'm busy at the moment but will have some spare time tomorrow, and this kind of thing always piques my curiosity.

Yep, the emerge crashes with the following...

Code:

/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=compile armeb-softfloat-linux-uclibc-gcc -std=gnu99 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DEXEEXT=\"\"
 -DEXEEXT=\"\" -DEXEEXT=\"\" -I. -I..  -I../intl -I../intl -I.. -I.. -DDEPENDS_ON_LIBICONV=1 -DDEPENDS_ON_LIBINTL=1 -D
LIBXML_STATIC -I../intl   -I./libcroco    -march=armv5t -Os -c -o term-styled-ostream.lo term-styled-ostream.c
 armeb-softfloat-linux-uclibc-gcc -std=gnu99 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DEXEEXT=\"\" -DEXEEXT=\"\" -DEXEEXT=\"\" -I. -I.. -I../i
ntl -I../intl -I.. -I.. -DDEPENDS_ON_LIBICONV=1 -DDEPENDS_ON_LIBINTL=1 -DLIBXML_STATIC -I../intl -I./libcroco -march=a
rmv5t -Os -c term-styled-ostream.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/term-styled-ostream.o
In file included from ./libxml/parser.h:797,
                 from ./libxml/globals.h:19,
                 from ./libxml/threads.h:36,
                 from ./libxml/xmlmemory.h:217,
                 from ./libxml/tree.h:1205,
                 from ./libcroco/cr-sel-eng.h:34,
                 from term-styled-ostream.oo.c:26:
./libxml/encoding.h:29:19: iconv.h: No such file or directory
In file included from ./libxml/parser.h:797,
                 from ./libxml/globals.h:19,
                 from ./libxml/threads.h:36,
                 from ./libxml/xmlmemory.h:217,
                 from ./libxml/tree.h:1205,
                 from ./libcroco/cr-sel-eng.h:34,
                 from term-styled-ostream.oo.c:26:
./libxml/encoding.h:137: error: syntax error before "iconv_t"
./libxml/encoding.h:137: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
./libxml/encoding.h:138: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `iconv_out'
./libxml/encoding.h:138: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
make[4]: *** [term-styled-ostream.lo] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gettext-0.17/work/gettext-0.17/gettext-tools/gnulib-lib'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gettext-0.17/work/gettext-0.17/gettext-tools/gnulib-lib'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gettext-0.17/work/gettext-0.17/gettext-tools'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gettext-0.17/work/gettext-0.17/gettext-tools'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
 * ERROR: sys-devel/gettext-0.17 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called src_compile
 *             environment, line 2661:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       emake || die
 *  The die message:
 *   (no error message)
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gettext-0.17/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gettext-0.17/temp/environment'.

dev-libs/libiconv is also blocked by man-pages so I've some work to do on this.

Thanks for your help,

slack
tarpman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just in from IRC:
Quote:
08:33 <+ncopa> transmission-1.11 build just fine on uclibc
08:33 <+ncopa> but it need a patch in configure.ac
08:34 <+ncopa> basicly it needs an --disable-nls option for configure

If you need more information, pop by #gentoo-embedded.

EDIT: -embedded, not -desktop-effects. omg.
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarpman wrote:
This just in from IRC:
Quote:
08:33 <+ncopa> transmission-1.11 build just fine on uclibc
08:33 <+ncopa> but it need a patch in configure.ac
08:34 <+ncopa> basicly it needs an --disable-nls option for configure

If you need more information, pop by #gentoo-embedded.

EDIT: -embedded, not -desktop-effects. omg.

Cheers for that tarpman, apologies for the long delay in replying, I've been on holiday and away from computers for a while. I've just checked bugzilla, and will have a look at getting things sorted with the patches in this bug.

Again, thanks for remembering my obscure little problem and posting a solution, very much appreciated.

slack
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE

Have successfully installed transmission-1.22 using the ebuild in bug 220537 and have also installed the Clutch (0.4) WebGUI using ebuild posted in bug 205933.

So its all good and I can now have transmission running on the Slug and control it remotely :D

Cheers for the help & pointers tarpman,

slack
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: