nVidia binary driver under Xen
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: nVidia binary driver under Xen Reply with quote

I recently had a need to get the binary nVidia drivers running under a Xen dom0 host. There are a number of discussions on this topic, but all of them seem to be for much older versions of Xen, the Linux kernel, and/or the nVidia driver package (such as https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.html?t=619991). I couldn't make any of these methods work with current versions, so I messed around with it until I finally hit on something that did work. I documented the process on my personal website, but I figured I'd post here as well since it's rather Gentoo-specific.

I wrote this guide using the following component versions:
  • xen-3.2.1
  • xen-sources-2.6.21
  • gentoo-sources-2.6.24-r8 (for building the libraries)
  • nvidia-drivers-173.14.09

I also suggest uninstalling any existing binary nVidia drivers before beggining to prevent any possible version conflicts.

Here's the step-by-step guide:
  • Run uname -r to verify the version of your currently running Xen-enabled kernel; eg., mine's 2.6.21-xen
  • verify that you have both Xen and non-Xen kernels installed: cd /usr/src/ && ls -l; eg., I have both linux-2.6.21-xen and linux-2.6.24-gentoo-r8
  • create a symlink to the non-Xen kernel: ln -sfn linux-2.6.24-gentoo-r8 linux
  • install the nVidia-drivers package, which includes the necessary X librarys: emerge -av nvidia-drivers
    this will also install the actual driver, but it'll be built and installed for the non-Xen kernel, not your current Xen-enabled kernel
  • determine the specific name and version of the nVidia driver package that was just installed; this can be found by examining the output of emerge -f nvidia-drivers (look for the NVIDIA-Linux-* line)
  • extract the contents of the nVidia driver package: bash /usr/portage/distfiles/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-173.14.09-pkg2.run -a -x
  • change to the driver source code directory: cd NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-173.14.09-pkg2/usr/src/nv/
  • build the driver for the currently-running Xen-enabled kernel: IGNORE_XEN_PRESENCE=y make SYSSRC=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build module
  • assuming there are no build errors (nvidia.ko should exist), install the driver:
    mkdir /lib/modules/`uname -r`/video
    cp -i nvidia.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/video/
    depmod -a
  • if necessary, log out of X, then load the driver: modprobe nvidia
  • if necessary, reconfigure xorg.conf to use the nvidia binary driver rather than the nv driver
  • test that X will now load properly with startx
  • if approprate, start (or restart) the display manager with /etc/init.d/xdm start

Assuming all went well, you should not have a fully functional and accelerated desktop environment, even under a Xen dom0 host. W00t.

Last edited by nitro322 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
vsnine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that this method works.

I had to make one small change in my setup. I use the method detailed here: http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xen_and_Gentoo, specifically the portion about using separate dom0 and domU kernels. I had to copy the dom0 config into the main kernel directory, run make oldconfig, and then i ran make && make modules && make modules_install. Only then would the nVidia driver compile correctly.

But all in all, this is alot more painless than I thought it was going to be. Perhaps we should move this into an article on Gentoo Wiki?
behd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

set IGNORE_XEN_PRESENCE=y

was enough for me... didn't had to mess more with system...
dom0: 2.6.21-xen
xen: 3.1
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

behd wrote:
set IGNORE_XEN_PRESENCE=y
was enough for me... didn't had to mess more with system...

I sure wish it had been enough for me. :-) I tried that multiple times with multiple versions of the driver, but the ebuild would always fail very early on.
steveL
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post nitro322 I don't have any use for it but I know some bods who might.. ;-)
xmaes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Works for me as well.
The only problem is that when i log out from gnome it turn off the monitor. there is no way to turn it back.
It doesnt happen with the non-xen kernel.

Any sugestion is welcome :-)

Thank you,

Xavier
idella4
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got it to work, but your initial instructions needed correcting.

Don't use the form 'uname -r' int the dir path. Use the name itself, such as 2.6.21-xen. Using 'uname -r' failed in both lines and needed replacing in both lines.
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idella4 wrote:
Don't use the form 'uname -r' int the dir path. Use the name itself, such as 2.6.21-xen. Using 'uname -r' failed in both lines and needed replacing in both lines.

Using the explicit version string will certainly work, but I used uname to make it more generic. Just copy and paste.

'uname -r', btw, is incorrect and will definitely fail. It should be `uname -r`. Notice the backticks - they are quite important. :-)
steveL
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitro322 wrote:
'uname -r', btw, is incorrect and will definitely fail. It should be `uname -r`. Notice the backticks - they are quite important. :-)

Use $(uname -r) then, it's a lot easier to spot, and is in Posix.
rem7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, thanks a lot, I spent all morning trying to figure this out.
ramsesxi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmaes wrote:
Hello,

Works for me as well.
The only problem is that when i log out from gnome it turn off the monitor. there is no way to turn it back.
It does not happen with the non-xen kernel.

Any sugestion is welcome :-)

Thank you,

Xavier

It turns black because nvidia-drivers uses the fbdevice as frontend for the TTY:s. Unfortunately nvidia-drivers does not speak well with vesafb and the monitor turns black (but the tty is still active)
I run 2.6.27-r2 xen and have compiled it with uvesafb, wich works well with nvidia-drivers. Now the the other TTY:s is not black anymore.

http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/

Hope it helps, because it is really annoying when you can't see the monitor when you shutdown.

/Ramses XI
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: